Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am guessing that there are states where it is legal to shock catfish in rivers?

I have never heard of any, have you?

Otherwise, I would assume the below merchant would have been shutdown long ago?

I have seen the below posted on the old BOC site long ago.

PRODUCT IN QUESTION:

http://cgi.ebay.com/FISH-STUNNER-SH...ltDomain_0&hash=item45f24d6c48#ht_1978wt_1083

I wonder how many are illegally used throughout the United States?

·
Registered
5,832 Posts
yeah,thats pretty sickening there.i don't know of any where that its legal in rivers.i know it happens in ga.,a lot in some areas,but its highly illegal.the only place i know it to be legal is in a private pond.

·
Premium Member
6,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Premium Member
6,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I could see some applications legally adapted, but in my opinion it should be regulated.

I could see turning loose a bunch of guys on the rivers where they are trying to remove invasive species that are taking over such as those big head carp, and those Snake Fish in Florida.

Government would need a way to reward action, maybe pay the gents .25 cents a fish or something.

Maybe adapt a Pay Pond methodology, and have shock'em up! contest..

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Thats no more fishing than picking injured deer off the highway is hunting. I have
never seen it done but I have heard tales that would make a CPR fisherman ill.
I am sure there is a certain group of people that could take a night off from stealing
cars, breaking into houses and spotlighting deer to go FISHING.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
after looking closer at his ad, and viewing some of the feedback. Looks like business is good for this item. Something like 600+ sold. Makes me think this is a popular item for alternating fishing. Can't help but think this could put a pretty good dent in a specific fishery if overused/abused.

By the looks of the discription it is paylake proof for the most part as he is saying it needs current to be effective.

Sadly enough this type of item is disheartening that people would use it. 600+ sold just from this one seller. how many more are offering it???????

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Biggest waste of flatheads that i,ve ever seen.Disheartning!Wonder how many pics of big cats ya see got shocked up?Then again,there,s probaly some guys out there somewhere still using dynamite.I don,t know of any states where it,s still legal to shock fish.I know in some states it,s illegal just to be in possession of the old crank phones on the water.I guess he gets away with it cause at the very last line it states {do not catch fish if illegal}.:Mad:

·
Premium Member
6,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Pat, I saw that line also, and laughed.

I wonder if a person who catches trophy catfish out of a Pay Lake see's any difference in people securing Large Fish by shocking them up?

Deep down, in that internal voice, he knows this 50+ pound fish wasn't hatchery raised?

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
It,s my opinion that people fishing the pay lakes with trophy fish in them could care less where they come from.They,re minds are focused on the $$$ to be won and the only way in the world they can get the picture of the big cats to show to their buddies.Like the guy stealin an old ladies purse,they don,t have that internal voice inside em we call our conscience.If ya put a billboard outside of every TROPHY paylake,showing how the fish got there and where they come from,I don,t think it would slow down their business one iota.I hate it,but I also feel sorry for them,cause they,re never gonna know what a good night out on the rivers feels like.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
I know N.c still has a few sections on some of the rivers thats its legal to use ,but i don,t think it rite . For research its a good way for the biolgist to do a fish count but it should not be a legal means of taking fish , thanks ,just my thoughts .

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
It is illegal in Ky. to use them I am sure.My guess is that it would probably catch more flatties than anything else.It must only affect fish laying on the bottom.I have heard tales about the old crank phones and also something about the old wooden coils from a model T I think but have never seen them used.One thing is for sure it is a sad way to fish.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Where flats are invasive, it turns into open season. Kinda sad but understandable.

It isn't hard to find a way to poach. That device is just one more added to a long list.

Things that suck more:

There's commercial fishing for flats.

Some places the limits are ridiculous.

Some places snagging mr flatty is legal.

All different kinds of suck that have to be approached one state at a time. At least that's how it looks to me.

Forgive me for whining about my crappy state. I'm sure there are more things that suck that other people can add.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Users should be subject to confiscation of boat, truck, and all equipment used to implement this travesty along with a very hefty fine and loss of fishing and hunting privileges for a pre-determined time for first time offenders. Subsequent offenses should be a felony and include jail time. Let the perps lose some of the rights that they take for granted-voting rights, firearms possession, and knowing that your name is in a national database of convicted felons-and you would probably see a drastic downturn in this particular harvesting technique. Just my thoughts, but a slap on the wrist hasn't proven to be an effective deterrent. Stay safe and let's keep fishing a sport!!!

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Where flats are invasive, it turns into open season. Kinda sad but understandable.

It isn't hard to find a way to poach. That device is just one more added to a long list.

Things that suck more:

There's commercial fishing for flats.

Some places the limits are ridiculous.

Some places snagging mr flatty is legal.

All different kinds of suck that have to be approached one state at a time. At least that's how it looks to me.

Forgive me for whining about my crappy state. I'm sure there are more things that suck that other people can add.
Our state is just fine....just have to go somewhere where the illegal bankliners are too lazy to go....Our DNR is very crappy but I don't see a change forseen.

I would like to meet the seller of this device!!! (just to have a little chat) And to show him why the wood chipper is pointed out in the river!!!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.