Urgent question about using bluegills as bait

Discussion in 'Bluegill Fishing' started by WaltonsMountain, Jul 31, 2009.

1. WaltonsMountain

WaltonsMountain New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Just got some bluegill at the lake here and wanted to use them as cut bait for tommorow night's catfishin trip. A couple of questions:

1) What is the best way to store this cut bait? I was thinking of just putting them in ziplock bags w/ a little bit of water to keep it moist and popping in the fridge (perhaps freezer?)... is this the right way to store cut bait?

2) Where should I cut on the bluegill for cut bait? I've heard alot of people using the head and midsection while basically throwing away the tail.... thoughts?

finally...

3) I might go back to the lake tommorow afternoon for some more bluegill fishing. I'd like to keep what I catch as live bait for the flatheads tommorow night What is a good, cheap method of keep them alive? I don't really have the money for a fancy contraption. They'd have to be alive 2-3 hours....

Thanks!

Last edited: Jul 31, 2009
  2. jmanion8

jmanion8 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    As far as using it for cut bait, just throw them in a mason jar and set it in the fridge, they'll be nice and fresh. I've had luck on all parts of the bluegill. A lot of people swear by heads, some even by tails. The midsection with the guts hanging out can't ever hurt ya, them fish love the guts!

As far as holding gills alive...get you a 5 gallon bucket, put water in it and get some chlorine-killer from wal-mart. Put just a little bit in the water to clean it. Get a small air pump, either battery operated or with electric plug-in, usually like 20 bucks with an airstone and hose. Put a frozen water bottle in there and they'll be good for a couple days if you don't overcrowd them.

Hope this helps! :big_smile:

3. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    I like to keep them alive if possible, Then I have the choice of fishing live or fresh cutbait. I've always liked fresh over frozen or on ice. If you have the capability, vacuum pack them is another good option.

far as cutting, depending on size, usually I'll just cut them in half. Most of the bluegills I get are anywhere from 2" to 8". or cut the tail off and let the blood slowly come out for a good scent trail. Maybe make a cut through the gut pocket, also.

4. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I just bought another bubbler from Wal-Mart last week and the cheap one was $8 ( the one I use ). It takes 2 D batteries runs off one if you want.

Any time you keep bait cold always avoid water in its container. In fact I usually dump mine onto a towel first,,,but not a absolute necessity.

Try using it every way you can until you find what they want. Just changing the way you bait up could be the difference from no fish to some fish....some days they are that picky.

Let us know how ya do...g'luck.

-Jim-

5. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Try to keep them alive I have found is best however if using cut bait then just use the head.

6. WaltonsMountain

WaltonsMountain New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    well i'm using ziplock bags w/ some water in them and put them in the freezer? Will this work if I just thaw them out tommorow?

7. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Yea, they will still work. Try to keep them cold. As the water thaws, it turns frozen bait mushy. But bream and gills aren't to bad at all.

I myself freeze them dry as possible. I dont freeze them unless its for long term storage.Keeping them in the fridge for a day or so is fine,then use them. Some folks add rice, flower, garlic, to add smell and to help the fish from not sticking together. If I use anything I use rice to help them come apart easier.

Now with my eater fish I do freeze them in water.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2009
  8. jmanion8

jmanion8 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I'd recommend not freezing them, and if you do freeze them, not using water.

9. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee

Well if ya want em live your gonna need to getcha a bait tank.. or build one. Dead you need to store em in a ziplock freezer bag and freeze em.. NO WATER in the bag!! Yes cut the heads, get the guts, and use strips of him.:wink:

10. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Id use them live then if they die and you run out of live gills you can cut them up and have fresh cut bait. Live out fishes cut by far, where im from. But if you want cut, then the other guys are correct. Good luck.

11. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    When storing bait, try and keep it alive as long as possible. Then take and put in container and put in fridge. For cut bait i like to use the heads and then the mid sections. and the tails i save for if i run out of bait.

12. ronlyn239

ronlyn239 New Member

State:
    Bartlesvil
    I like them live and cut both. I fillet them and use the sides and also the head by itself. You can make a homemade bait from an ice chest. You can buy an aerator for the chest from most anyone like cabelas, basspro, or academy. I think they are a killer bait, and probably over the years have caught about as many on perch (bluegill and their kin) as I have on shad.

13. bent_pole

bent_pole New Member

State:
    harrodsburg, kentucky
    I dont usualy use cut bait so i cant help you much there. With the live bait i take along a 5 gal bucket when I am fishing for bluegill. The smaller ones i catch i put in the bucket and keep them alive by using a battery operated mr bubbles that i bought at wal mart. This along with a plastic soda bottle that i have frozen some water in keeps them just fine.

When putting the gills on a hook i usually put the hook in the mouth and run it out the eyeball socket and they stay on good......good luck

14. fishinfreak19D

fishinfreak19D New Member

State:
    Pittston, PA
    alive is the way to go, i only use live bait if its around, then i cut up the ones that die on me while im fishin, it dont get fresher than that

15. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    depends on the size of the blue gill if its a little guy sometimes i dont even cut them into anthing ill just step on them to get the blood and all to come out.... i also find adding a leach to the head of a piece of cut bait seems to work really well....