Urgent bream questions...

Discussion in 'Bluegill Fishing' started by Gibbzilla, Mar 1, 2007.

1. Gibbzilla

Gibbzilla New Member

State:
    East Texas
    Well, some friends and I are going fishing at a very small local private pond at about 5:00 a.m. Saturday morning, and it will be about 40 degrees. I'm having problems deciding what I could use for lures. I prefer spinnerbaits, so what color should they be? When it's warm weather I can really clean up on yellow rooster tails, but I'm not sure what would be good in these conditions, considering I've never fished there while it's this cold.

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    By virtue of the fact you stated "lures" I will make an assumption you are targeting bass. When the water is cold, the fish are somewhat sluggish. They won't want to move fast enough to chase a spinner down, and the water at the top of the pond is probably too cool for them to be frequenting this early in the season. I'd go with a worm. Been having a lot of success using a "red shad" colored worm with the smallest weight you can control. They are going to be taking the worm real easy also... so, have a lot of luck. LOL

3. tspergin

tspergin New Member

State:
    newark ohio
    jig and pork frog and blade baits such as sonars or my buddys in cold water

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    your post said bream but the following posts are talkin bass which is it?

for bass I'd go with a soft plastic in either a worm or craw pattern for bream try the tiny gitzits paired with saftypin type spinners or slip float a berkly gulp maggot on a # 8 hook

5. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I've had luck this time of year with plain ol' nightcrawlers,either for the ba$$ or gills.

6. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

yellows, blues, whites and chartruse would all be good colored jigs. I would try a bobber rig to slow the presentation and adjust the depth as needed to catch more fish. Tipping your jig with red worm are night crawler are even some gulp worm couldn't hurt either. Good Luck I hope my advice helps you some.

7. Gibbzilla

Gibbzilla New Member

State:
    East Texas
    This thread doesn't really mean much now, since my broke friends and I bit the bullet and bought two boxes of night crawlers. :lol:
    I bought one regular box of Canadian night crawlers and one box that Miss Massie showed me that had Evergreen night crawlers, which are green. I'd never seen the green ones, but she told me people had told her good things.

Thanks for all of the replies, though. By the way, should I fish it under a float, or just tightline on the bottom?

8. skeetermagnet

skeetermagnet New Member

State:
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    Nightcrawlers usually will hook you up everytime. Plus, everything will bite a worm so you never know what you'll go home with. :smile2: One of you should fish them with a bobber and one on the bottom. Then, when you find the pattern, one of you will switch. Use the lightest float you can get away with because the bite might be pretty subtle with cold water.

With panfish, I've always had good luck with Berkely power grubs, 2 inch with a 1/8 oz jig head. They just can't leave those curly tails alone. We catch plenty of perch, bass, and crappie off of them.

9. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    just freeline the old nightcrawler, and you'll be fine. green or regular, should work the same.
    GOOD LUCK!

10. Gibbzilla

Gibbzilla New Member

State:
    East Texas
    Ah man did we clean up out there this mornin! Only one of the 4 friends had ever fished, and they were all excited to be catchin fish. Bad news is when I was takin one of my friend's bluegills off his hook, the hook went through his gill and stuck in my hand. I ended up just havin to rip it out, along with a chunk of skin. :crazy:

Anyways, we caught 40+ in about 2-2.5 hours. Thanks for all of your suggestions.

11. coorsdrifter

coorsdrifter New Member

State:
    Eddyville,Ky
    How did the green worms work for you?

12. Gibbzilla

Gibbzilla New Member

State:
    East Texas
    I had accidentally frozen them, so I went out and bought some red wigglers. The wigglers worked like a charm.

13. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Just found the thread. Glad you caught fish!! I was gonna suggest redworms. Thats what I use to catch bream for bait. The smaller size seems to be perfect, especially with those #6 circle hooks!!