URGENT! 1.5 glow-stick results, BEWARE!

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by dinkbuster1, Feb 10, 2006.

1. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i just received an order i made for those 1.5 inch glowsticks from Glow Universe. i sampled 10 glowsticks from 2 different packs (5 per pack) and they are very thin and glow bright for only 15 min. and then glow really dull afterwards. i will call them and try to send back the remainder for a refund on monday. dont know if anyone else has ordered them but the ones i received are GARBAGE! also they are not what they are pictured as online, very, very thin!

2. Rockjumper

Rockjumper New Member

State:
    Parker,Pennsylvania
    Thanks for the warning.

3. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    I was going to order some also. Thanks.

4. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    might just order some of them later, they have something else i'd like to have also. i have tried out those lightsticks that they have, the dollar store carries them, same brand but 15 to a pack . they are good but i have a hard time using 8 inchers. dollar store has them for just about the same price but they are all different colors. only colors i like are green or yellow, preferably yellow. i have no use for the red, blue, or orange. another case of "gettin what ya pay for":D

5. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

Sorry to hear that Dink. It's a good thing I didn't make a purchase yet. I had similar problems with some bought at Wally World a couple of years ago. I finally went to small bells and a head lamp, because it was cheaper than buying lights that went out every 20min.

Ray

6. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I ordered 100 of the 8" glowsticks from Maine Wolf on Tuesday, received them today, and I'm glad I did. They are not very large in diameter, easily bent into a circle, and the one I started at noon is still glowing bright as I speak. 15 cents each, including shipping. They come with a connector th shape them like a bracelet if you want to, I think that connector can be modified really easy with a christmas ornament hanger, and a dab of hot glue, or a short stick, so that I can hang them from the rod, line, whatever.
    I haven't been using many glowsticks, but I already wish I had ordered more.

7. akwolf41

akwolf41 Master Instigator of the BOC!

State:
    Kenai, Ala
    Tommy;

Good to hear you got your stuff. Thanks much for the Plug in here. I have had had the same problems that you all are talking about with the Glow Universe Glow Sticks. The ones we bought to sell on here are brighter and I have not found a DUD yet. Ours are all Green and not the assorted colors that you can't see very good at nite.

Thanks to you all.

Gene

8. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Tommy, no need to modify, just put the stick between the last two eyes and between the rod and line, then make the bracelet. I take them off to cast, but they don't interfere with reeling in, fish on or not. lol

9. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    I use rubber bands to hold my light sticks to my pole tip. Be sure to put the rubber bands on before you thread your line through the rod tip. I put on 3 rubber bands wrapping them around the rod until they are loose but snug. I keep one down by the second eye and only use two of the three to hold my lite on. If a band breaks I have one already on so I don't have to cut my line and add another rubber band I just use the 3rd one. Works slick and everything has enough give when your landing a fish that it just acts like part of your rod.

10. Catbird

Catbird New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, Ohio
    To second Dinkbuster about getting what you pay for:
    I puchased a bunch of glowsticks on Ebay 2 summers ago. Last spring (still having most of them left), I went to use one..it was bad. I tried about 10 more, same result. I ended up pitching around 85 of them in the trash..lol Be sure you get some from someone you can trust like Gene (Maine-Wolf Products).

11. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    I use the 3" Green lights sticks. I bought 50 for $7.50. They glow for about 24 hours when I tested two. I just use electrial tape around the end of the rod. Just move the line over and wrap it up and it comes off easy.

12. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Clarence, I use scotch tape, it cost less, the light shines through and it won't come off in the rain!

13. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Netman, that's probably the simplest thing to do. I had thought about doing it that way, instead of hanging straight down. If I hooked them like I mentioned earlier, I might loose them overboard on hookset. They're bright enough, that I probably would only need a couple to light up all the rods in the boat. I'm thinking about doing some bank fishing for a little while tonight, weather permitting, and I'll see how the do. Thanks.
    Gene, Bigboy and I activated 3 of those sticks yesterday and they are still bright as I write this, about 20 hours later.

14. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Dink is right about the 1.5s. I tested a 5 pack they are real bright for 15-20 min. then go into a subdued glow. The ones I tested could still be seen from 20 to 30 feet after 8 hrs. They just aren't blazing bright. But in a boat or sitting by them on the bank you can see them well enough. You just have to use one for each rod. I don't think they would work very well inside those lighted bobbers though.

15. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    i use the 1.5 inch glowsticks and out of 100 maybe 5-8 are duds. at 10 cents a piece i dont mind much. I have found that the blue and the greens do the best and burn a few hours before goin too dim. had 1 blue one that still glowed after bein in the trunk o my car for 2 days. the way i rig em is an idea i actually picked up here from a fellow BOC member(sorry dont remember who). go to your auto parts store and get some clear vacuum tubing( bout $2.50 for 6 ft), then using small plastic pull ties, put the tubing on the tip section of your rod on the underside and slip yer glowstick in the tubing. take one of yer glowsticks with you to the parts store to make sure you get the right size tubing.
    Oh, and also, you need to store these glowsticks properly. exposure to direct sunlight will weaken them. I put mine in 35mm film canisters and store in the fridge.

16. vini

vini New Member

State:
    Fresno

I bought the same 100 pack and tried them out last weekend and they work great, i just tied them in knots and hang them from my bell;)

17. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    you have to be careful who you buy from dink. glow sticks last a long time, but if they get old enough they will do as you described. i also bought a couple of floats from gene...only used them a couple of times, but i am happy with them. you can see them very well......unless you do as i did on the first one:rolleyes: ...put the float on upside down...that put the glow stick under water:cool: ...now THAT makes it hard to see:crying: