URBAN PONDS

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARIZONA TALK' started by juggalo, Apr 16, 2008.

1. juggalo

juggalo New Member

State:
    Arizona
    urban ponds are great for the kids i have a 4 yr old he loves the park if he get bored he feeds the ducks so next time the kids wanna go fishing think about the park it migt be a good idea

2. rich-online

rich-online New Member

State:
    California
    I'll second that. I normally go freshwater fishing at either a reservoir or a percolation pond. My favorite spot has a park built around it, complete with playground. They're good places to go bird watching, also; sea gull, mud hens, ducks, geese, herons, egrets, and cormorants are just a few of the types of birds that frequent the area.

-- Rich

3. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I have Lake Mead and Lake Mohave near me but no boat so urban ponds are where I fish for now.

4. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thank you for the info I agree with you urban ponds is a great place to fish I fish lakes and stuff but I got a pond thats stocked with some blue gills, catfish and bass, I take my neice and nephews up there to the pond because it dont take long to catch a fish and there faces light up when they are pulling one in, and you have the right idea taking your kid fishing with you, like I always said I thank God dad took me fishing alot when I was a kid cause it never has left me

5. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    only time my dad fished with me as a kid was summer camp trip. otherwise, claim too tired, too hot, ect. (sure loved the camping trips though) when i got kids, started them when they were months old. most still love to fish and camp. now i'm going on grandkids. my 5yr grandson always is calling me to come get him to go fishing. he can't understand i live 200 miles away and says, "i'll wait right here for you grandpa". LOL
    [​IMG]
    this is cody, he was only 3 then. he just caught his first flathead there in picture.
    gary

6. jaytee

jaytee New Member

State:
    arizona
    If anyone happens to find out if any of the urban spots have been stocked so far this week please post....going to take my daughter this weekend...thanks.

7. juggalo

juggalo New Member

State:
    Arizona
    all urban ponds were stocked monday some with less fish due to the fish kill (water temp?) who knows but i catch alot of cats at chapperel park so hope to see you out there ill be there tomarrow with the kid and the family any questions on bait come over to the sout side of the pond and ask for lonnie

8. azfisher

azfisher Member

State:
    arizona
    What up Lonnie. I just read on the azgfd.gov urban bulletin they said there is golden algae in like 6 urban lakes. Chapparrel is one of them and it's not recovered yet. How did you do on the north side. Will have to hook up and go to red mountain it got extra fish due to the canceled and reduced stockings. Hit me up.

9. fester

fester New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Be careful with chapparal, I read in the paper a couple days ago that there is golden algae in there and to only eat the fish if it looked healthy and were no sores!! good luck

10. lonniesmiddy

lonniesmiddy New Member

State:
    arizona
    yea with gas prices what they are and the rivers and lakes being so far away urban ponds are looking like a nice alternative

11. SilencedMajority

SilencedMajority New Member

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    I gotta say its hard to beat the urban ponds for some last minute fun!

Taking the young ones out to one of the parks to slay the sunfish is really something else. Keeps them interested in the outdoors. Personally I like Water Ranch out in Gilbert as long as the mosquitoes aren't so bad. Most evenings there are killer for sunfish on any kind of tackle.

12. MichaelP

MichaelP New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I was fishing at encanto a while back in the cove area directly across from some younger anglers. I get a solid bite and set the hook on a decent fish that ran directly away from me. Im using a berkley heavy big game with 35 lb test so I just reel like mad and start horsing it in before it finds a shopping cart or bike frame to wrap around, when I see a big splash across from me. They all start laughing except the owner of the pole who is now loudly proclaiming the biggest fish in the world just took his pole in the drink. I reel in the nice 5 lb or so channel when I notice some mono wrapped around my line. I released the cat, and start pulling in the mono to find a zebco spinning outfit. The one the kid lost across from me. I guess the cat ran across the line and pulled his pole in while I was fighting it. I gave his pole back and had a little chuckle.
    Things are always interesting at the parks at night.

13. Capt catfish

Capt catfish New Member

State:
    Illinois/Az
    The urbans are always a good time assuming the young chuckleheads are not acting up.Or five idiots are sitting on your lap while you are trying to fish. i keep having that issue at red mountain;i will setup,catch one,and then i will have five people fishing within ten feet of me crossing my lines. Have some courtesy people,there is a WHOLE LAKE with fish in it!Sorry,had to vent,it makes my ass itch....

14. juggalo

juggalo New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I AGREE IT ALWAYS HAPPENS TO ME AT CHAPERALL NO 1 CAN LET YOU FISH IN PEACE WHEN YOU START GETTING BIT

15. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    My experience is that most people will respond to a quiet word. just explain to them that the fish are moving along the shore line in search of food items and they need to move away in either direction to improve their chance of getting bit.

16. MichaelP

MichaelP New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I got bit once. It hurt. :smile2: