Urban Fishing Update

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by Dallison, Apr 13, 2008.

1. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    It's actually kinda cool to drive downtown in a "city" to fish. I wish I could say it was great fishing. After this week of attempting to catch a fish I think I scored low on the scale. Left work Thursday to catch some bait fish for the weekend, after weeding my way through the Natty Ice crowd I cought about a 9" herring on my sabiki rig after about 60 casts or so. Mine was the only catch I saw. Friday rushed home from work to the Osboune Boat Landing.....nothing.

Saturday.....big score...nice 2-3 lber. Hook through the eye I gave it to the guy fishing next to me. By 11am sabiki rigs left and right 2 line crossovers and I'm out....don't want to lose an eye......

Sunday (today) 6am- noon.....nothing...not only me...slim pickins for all I saw

2. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    congrats on your catches hopefully they will be better fishing days ahead

3. freshbaitrules

freshbaitrules New Member

State:
    virginia
    Hey whats wrong with Naty Light? Just kid'n.

Hope your luck improves. Once the water warms to wading temp. I would head to the Pony Pasture with some Bream or jumbo goldfish and tackle some flatheads. The scenery is much, much better up there. Girls in two piece suits is a little better than the scene on the dock.

:cool2:

4. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    You 'bet'cha right on the Pony Pasture. Pretty gals galore and good fishing.

I tried new water today. I fished the Mattaponi, hit a bunch of holes with my buddy that has a farm on the river. We fished from Aylett to Walkerton. We had bites in every hole. Managed to catch Four small cats 1-4 pounds. First fish of the day was a nice size Bullhead. No big pulldown at all. Was pretty neat being on new water. Saw eagles, Ospreys, Lots of geese, Wood Ducks and a flock of Ringbills?

No Stripers which was my target today. Ended up a slow day by running aground. Brought the truck down from Aylett to Walkerton to load as my motor was pretty clogged. I brought the boat home , took the thermastat out and back flushed and foward flushed the mud out. Put the thermasat back in and she's ready for tomorrow downtown.

5. Powhatan

Powhatan New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I tried something new today too... tried catching bait at Dutch Gap...right across from the dock I caught 10 cutters in 4 mnutes....(and 3 big cats)...tore my net up.... but I did manage a 55 & 30 pound cat close to the landing...my buddy had a striper on..but we never got it to the boat...it was stripping drag..fun day...so much for the freaking weather man...pm showers.. You can never count on a weather report around here..

Will post a pic tomorrow...

6. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    Thats a nice pier in Aylett at the boat landing, I've fished there. Nice drive too. My luck will improve and its all fun. I meet alot of nice people. Its always funny people will say "right after you left I cought......" Still waiting to see a big one pulled up. Pony Pasture is cool too, I can't wait till it gets a little warmer.
    later

7. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    It'll get better Dallison after all it can't get much worse, lol.

Wheelmobile07

8. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Great job Chris on another 50+! I'ma get there one day!

9. dwordenfish

dwordenfish New Member

State:
    massachusetts
    Where is the pony pasture? Is there any parking? Are these flatheads that are there (not talking about the women)?

10. freshbaitrules

State:
    virginia
    The Pony Pasture is located in the James river park system off of Forest Hill.
    the parking lot is pretty big but in the last couple of years there has been an imigration of people that are swamping the place so get there early.

go to Castaway and get a dozen large goldfish or if you can aquire some live bluegill and keep them alive . Go up river from the p. pasture and wade out until it starts to get over your head. then back up and cast straight out. Early in the morn. or late evening is best.

Take you a boogie board and a small window weight for an anchor for your board. YOu can lay your clickers on the board and lay on your back float in the river, watch the pretty girls and wait for the zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

:cool2:

11. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    LOL sounds good to me bro!

Wheelmobile07

12. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Pony Pasture, might have to try fishing there. :wink:

I'm going to give flatheads a try this summer at night because the blues slow down a bit then.

13. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    Take you a boogie board and a small window weight for an anchor for your board. YOu can lay your clickers on the board and lay on your back float in the river, watch the pretty girls and wait for the zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

:cool2:[/QUOTE]

That is absolutely the best idea I have seen in a while. I thank you and I thank you. I absolutely detest night fishing blues in the summer. The pony pasture is 5-10 minutes from my house. I am playing it out now. Stop at pond for a bucket of brim. Drive to Pony Pasture with ancient Beach Cruiser bike with giant newspaper boy basket. Rods go in basket vertically,(butts slip down between the wire of the basket). Slip bucket over handle bars and peddle up to the Z Dam and fish downstream. I love the boogie board idea.:big_smile: My brothers and I have been doing it with a canoe but that requires 2 vehicles. Dangerous canoeing at night. much more planning, blah blah blah. Again hats off to you. If you see an ancient rusted blue Beach Cruiser with oversized white basket down there with an old man floating around looking silly. It will be me with a silly grin.

14. freshbaitrules

State:
    virginia
    I dont personaly but I have a freind who has great luck during the dog days going up river with a flow troll full of bait and his flatty rod. Adorns a quality PFD jumps in and floats from hole to hole getting out to relax and fish. At the end of the day he floats back to his ride and heads home.

give that one a try.

Dont forget, FLOAT FEET FIRST!:cool2: