Upturned or Downturned Hook Eyes

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by DemolitionMan, Apr 29, 2007.

1. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    Does anyone know what the difference is intended to be????Even though I prefer the "downturned" eye, I don't know why.....DemoMan

2. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Well I don't know either, but I bet we are going to find out.

3. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    I hope so....I've always wondered why that would be....DemoMan

4. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Come on Guys,What's the differance? This Antisipation(spelling)Is Killing Us!! LOL,J.D.
    :big_smile_2: :beat_plaster:

5. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    That's what I want to know....lol...I always ask questions nobody can answer.....lol....DemoMan

6. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    Well, I didn't find out anything about the upturned/downturned thing, but I found this "Eagle Claw" site that's pretty interesting:

http://www.fishlazer.com/tech/index.php

So through it all, I guess I'll have to make a few assumptions.
    #1. I guess the "turn" on the eye has to do with the "design" of the rest of the hook(point).
    #2. If a "snell" is designed to "tie" the line to the hook shank in a straight line, that what difference does it make whether the eye is up or down....Of course, a straight eye would make all the difference in the world with a snell knot, I guess.....

Well, jd, I guess someone will eventually find an answer out in "Cyberspace"....lol....Thanks, Dwight

7. JamisonM

JamisonM New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    And just to incite this thread even more I give you a simple picture. The first two on the left I bent the eye and the rest are all stock hooks I snelled. All are taped down from a single point to just straiten out the line and give you an idea of how the hook might preform (I guess) when setting it.
    http://www.geocities.com/jamisonlm3/Pictures/hooks.jpg

8. MealsOnReels

MealsOnReels New Member

State:
    Kansas
    The downturned hook eye is made to be used only
    south of the equator.

9. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    Thanks jamison.....I tried to bend the eye of a Matuzo and it snapped like a dry twig.....Thanks for the pics....Dwight

10. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    Either way the upturn or downturn eyes have to be snelled, while straight can be tied using the palomar or uni.

11. robbor

robbor New Member

State:
    Ca
    Like others said, I'd guess the in the upturned/downturned vs the flat would be for snelling the hook. I dont use snelled hooks and normally use a palomar on big line and almost exclusively use gamakatsu octopus in 8/0 or bigger for large bait.

12. treidm

treidm New Member

State:
    KANSAS
    Just joined & I see it's an old thread, but I will give my answer for those that may want to still know....

Eye Types: Straight, Parallel, Up-Turn & Down-Turn

The Down-Turn & Up-Turn are used in fly fishing to regulate how the fly is presented in/on water

Snelled hooks are many times done on a parallel hook in saltwater applications as well as the turned eyes

Hope my first post doesn't make me appear as a know-it-all
    Much I don't know about Cat-fishing and hope to learn from others

....Reid