Uptiding

Discussion in 'Outdoor Articles' started by mrmarkedwards, Jan 23, 2008.

1. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    Coping with the current
    By Mark Edwards

Heavy current might be one of toughest condition a catfisherman can face. Catfish hold and feed in fast water, and presenting bait to them from shore can be a challenge. My fast water experience comes from fishing the C&D canal in my native state, Delaware. The key to fishing fast water from the bank is to keep your bait in a fixed position. This can be achieved by locating a pocket of slack water or by anchoring your bait in heavy current. Either way downsizing your rig and bait are a good idea or small diameter line should be used if conditions allow. In order to do this I use a tactic that is popular with European sea anglers called uptiding this tactic is simple most of us myself included cast our bait out and once the sinker hits the water we begin to reel in the slack line the result is the line comes tight and the current begins to push on the line and in no time your rig is tumbling downstream. With uptiding, cast upstream at a 45-degree angle then once the sinker hits the water leave the bail open (if you’re using a spinning reel) and wait until you feel the sinker hit bottom. Next flip the bail and wait a minute or so what will happen is the force of the current will turn the sinker and hold it in place. The amount of slack line can vary but, anywhere from 10-100 yards. Rods have to be held almost vertical in order to keep as much line as possible off the water. The rod springing back as a fish picks up the bait, dislodges the sinker, and causes slack line usually indicates bites. Often the hooks itself, but reeling up the slack and setting it again can increase your hookup percentage as would circle hooks. Braided line can be useful if the bottom is fairly snag free. Using braided lines in this situation also is a benefit every advantage should be taken to minimize water pressure. Thinner line means less line needs to be fed for the loop, which results in better bite detection and more hookups. If the sinker continues to bump down current try different sinkers the picture at the bottom shows my progression. The last sinker is called a grip sinker and it can hold bottom when a sinker almost twice its weight can’t.
    So remember smaller baits, thinner line and possibly the only good time to have a belly can help you fish a fast current. Good luck.