upside down trotline???

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by kat in the hat, Sep 16, 2006.

1. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Yesterday I was discussing with a friend that I need to build some new trotlines before I go fishing next week. I know how to make them and they work well. Mine are just getting old and my last outing I got one hung up and had to cut one. The fish have worked another over real good and just needs replaced. He started talking about making one that to me seems unorthodox and I just wanted to know what yall think. The idea is, in short, to run a weighted line flat on the bottom with some sort of leader (that he claims are manufactured) that is stiff and has a small float on it. His theory is that the bait can swim more naturally and off the bottom. My theory is that this idea is useless and unpressidented and will only cause multiple headaches. I just use longer drops on my weights than my hooks to keep the bait suspended. What do you all think?

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

It sounds like a carolina rig with a bobber above the hook to keep the bait off the bottom but longer and with more hooks. I have never heard of a trot line like that though. Your friend maybe refering to "bluefish" rigs, they are a single are double rig that have very stiff line/leaders and floats already on them. If you do try this out please let us know how it turns out. I for one am curious.

3. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    personally i dont care for trotlines there not fishing but trapping . they take away from the sport . but i dont see why you couldnt suspend a line from two steel posts like a clothes line run close to the bottom . let us know what you do ok . good luck

4. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    My only concern with that idea is checking the line. On the rare occasion that we set a line, it is stretched very tight to prevent hangups. It could be very difficult to bring the line up to check and see if you have anything on it. That and when you do pull it up to check it, you run the risk of the leaders getting hung and tangled under the line.

5. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I do agree there is no sport more sporting than fishing with rod 'n reel. That's exactly what I plan to be doing at about 5:30am on Mark Twain lake. I do run lines though. Partly because that's what I've been doing since I was tall enough not to drown wading in the salt river, and partly because if I don't bring enough fish home for a fry, my ol' lady gets a little pissy. She thinks it's a waste of time I could've spent mowing, or painting,
    or whatever. If he makes that crazy upside down line I will post a report. I'm very curious too but I ain't gonna waste my money on it because I can already see alot of problems. It might be better when considering drifters and other boats though.?

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I suppose that would work, but would probably get hung up on the bottom trash more often. To achieve the same effect, I attach small floats to the trotline's main line to make it float; then I attach weights to the trotline's mainline heavy enough to sink the line and floats. The length of line used to attach the weights will determine just how far above the bottom the hooks are. For example, with 12" long droppers, and a 36" length of line between the weights and the mainline, the hooks will rest 24" off the bottom.

7. TonyJr

TonyJr New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    I'd like to see a pic of that!:smile2: