upper salt river

Discussion in 'ARIZONA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by azcataholic, Oct 18, 2008.

1. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    Has anyone fished or been successful with flatheads above the diversion dam. Thanks for any feedback!

2. SilencedMajority

SilencedMajority New Member

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    I've caught a very nice channel cat on the Upper Salt about 15 miles above the diversion dam.

Other than that, haven't fished that section of river very much because it is barely accessible.

3. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    Thanks Antonio, the reason i asked is that i met a guy one day at schoolhouse ramp that grew up in the area and he said they caught flatheads under the bridge area years ago. He also talked about when the diversion dam was constructed but i have not researched it. My thinking was to put in where the floaters get out and go upstream a short distance.

4. lonny

lonny New Member

State:
    az
    go in on the horseshoe bend road it go's down pinal creek by the water treatment plant. have caught some good flatheads in this area.

5. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    Hello Lonny, Welcome to the BOC. I will certainly check into this area, thanks for sharing this info.

6. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    Been checking that forest road 219, horseshoe bend wash road . It must be the one. Tried to check on the wastewater treatment plant you referred to, but generally they don't make many maps:smile2:. I was checking on the paddlers website to get a better idea. Is that horseshoe road maintained, I do have 4-wheel drive, but would hate to get stuck trying to go fishing. What is it about 6 or 7 miles on the forestry road. Thanks

7. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    The guy I met at schoolhouse ramp, I must have misunderstood him or something, because checking I found the diversion dam to have been built in 1907. The guy was certainly not 100 years old .Correction!

8. lonny

lonny New Member

State:
    az

yes you are on 219,it has been quite awhile since i was in there. if i find out any road info will let you know. forest service in globe might know something its in there area. you can see treatment plant from highway on left side when your headed south. i would wait till i got road info before i went.