Upper Salt River

Discussion in 'ARIZONA RIVERS TALK' started by SilencedMajority, Aug 6, 2007.

1. SilencedMajority

SilencedMajority New Member

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    I just got back from a much needed trip to the Upper Salt, I haven't been on the river lately mostly due to there being so many people and the rain. I decided to brave the weather and see how it would treat me. First of all, no bait was caught, although we spent a few hours on the main lake looking for sunfish and bluegills. So we reluctantly bought some waterdogs, and when we showed up to the river, we were surprised to find no one else on the bank. There's a reason for that, the river is swollen past its old banks. The water was high, going up and down about 4 ft overnight, and chocolate brown. Also, there was a lot of debris in the water and even 4ft from the water edge was knee high mud. It was hard fishing, everything wet with the rain all weekend, and no flatheads caught, just a few carp and small channels. I have a feeling that any flatheads would sort of hole up and hide when the water is flowing that fast with all that debris in the water too, I can't imagine them actively feeding anyway. What do you guys think?

I think I'm going to wait for the rains to slow down before going back.

2. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Glad you got to get out on the water, too bad it did not work out for you..
    * It will be tough to top your year last year, but Fall is just around the corner!!
    * I know you will light 'em up then.

~ Can the river attached to a major reservoir rise and fall 4 feet?? I did not think that was possible.
    ~A

3. Da Chummer

Da Chummer New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Thanks for the report. It is good to hear that much water is coming in. I don't think they would be actively feeding and certainly will not be treading water. To much engery lost in it. They will be hold up behind just about anything that breaks the current. Points, log jams or even rock piles. Might even be several together stashed where they don't have to tread water. I still don't think they will be actively feeding, but if you could drop a bait off right in thier face you might get a trigger response. Problem is it might be too dangerous with the river flowing that hard. It might be too dangerous to get to these places. Don't chum yourself in the process.

Andy. I don't think he meant 4 feet vertical. Probably more like it came up the bank and caused him to move back 4 feet on the bank. Overflowed its banks by 4 feet?

4. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    sorry to hear your trip was bad. I just got back from Powell and avg.ed almost 100 striper a day!:eek:oooh: we caught more channel cats than I care to remember, nothin big just pan friers. Andy's right Sept/Oct is like next week!:wink:

5. stinky fingers

stinky fingers New Member

State:
    Buckeye,Arizona
    Better luck next time Tony. Still nice to get out. The weather has been keeping me off the lake lately.
    Take care.
    Larry

6. SilencedMajority

SilencedMajority New Member

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    Andy, he was correct, not 4 feet vertical, just four feet from where the bank was or more. SRP says the flow on the upper salt thursday at the diversion dam was 387 cubic feet per second, and sunday morning when I was there it swelled to 2560! That kind of increase would most likely kill the bite. I will be out there again though.