Upper Salt River is hot

Discussion in 'ARIZONA RIVERS TALK' started by AZ RIVERMAN, May 18, 2008.

1. AZ RIVERMAN

AZ RIVERMAN New Member

State:
    ARIZONA
    I'VE BEEN FISHING THE UPPER SALT RIVER FOR ABOUT TWELVE YEARS NOW AND THE SWITCH HAS JUST TURNED ON!! THE WATER TEMP IS PERFECT FOR EASY LIMITS. IT IS NOT UNCOMMON FOR MY BUDDY AND I TO LEAVE WITH FIFTY CATS IN A SIX HOUR PERIOD. AVAREGE TWO POUNDS....SEVERAL FIVE AND UP.....ALWAYS A FEW TEN AND UP, AND AT LEAST A COUPLE 40+ # FLATHEADS A SUMMER. YOU HAVE TO KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING.......NOT JUST ANY RIGGING AND LOCATION WILL GET YOU NUMBERS.

2. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    That's impressive...

Why do you need 50 catfish??? Own a restaurant?

3. Apache Flats

Apache Flats New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az
    You don't really leave with 50 catfish do you? Maybe its just a misprint nobody eats that much fish.

4. AZ RIVERMAN

AZ RIVERMAN New Member

State:
    ARIZONA
    THAT'S A SILLY QUESTION. WHEN YOU HAVE A LARGE FAMILY THE FISH DOESN'T LAST LONG. DON'T YOU ALWAYS TRY TO CATCH YOUR LIMIT? YOU SHOULD IT'S FUN A DELICIOUS.

5. badben345

badben345 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    thats good on you azRiverman! no one will beleive this but, i stopped trout fishing from the guilt. yeah, thats right. i admit it. i am a CNR guy. dont eat fish. but love catchin'em! up in alpine i used to fish the streams up there. but i would only have like 50% live/kill rate. now, i fish for catfish and bass. i dont recall kulling any yet. but yeah, my mum loves to eat her some fried catfish!

ben

6. Apache Flats

Apache Flats New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az
    The point I was trying to make was, did you really take that many catfish "50" home from one trip? I do keep a few of mine also, last year I took home 3 total from the whole year. I mostly CPR mine, my hope is my fishing holes to be productive year in year out.

7. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    How you do'in it River man?

That is about 1 catfish every 7.2 minutes... Do you shore fish? boat? Fish at night, are you using live bait? Trot lines?

* How about a picture or two...

8. MichaelP

MichaelP New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Shotgun...poison....trained falcon....magic fish flute...

9. Da Chummer

Da Chummer New Member

State:
    Arizona
    That is funny stuff. :smile2: I guess it's good we are all fisherman and know how to use waders, cuz it's gettin deep in here. Dude we need some pics of this amazing harvest or i don't see anyone believeing you.

10. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    Got to call BS on this one. Fish the upper on a regular and do good, but not 50 or even 25. Nice try but veteran fisherman here--friend:0a37:

11. MichaelP

MichaelP New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I can count on one hand how many times Ive caught(and released)close to that many fish. If everyone took that many, there wouldnt be any left in no time at all.

12. micah

micah New Member

State:
    Gilbert, Arizon
    My BROTHERS are harsh today. RUDY can't even go out and have a good night fishing without getiing razzed.
    I'm not sure if your on here much Rudy but just in case I'll explain... Most of us (BOC members) practice "catch and release." I think most realize that some harvest. Especially those with a lot of mouths to feed. If your stranded at the lake and you have to eat 60lb flatheads to survive there's still going to be some that are upset you didnt trap a deer or eat ants to survive. Most of us believe that catch and release preserves our sport for future generations. One of the most frustrating things about fishing for me is pracicing catch and release and then watching people Gut 15 to 20 year old catfish.

Micah

13. Lenny The Lamb

Lenny The Lamb New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I have heard tales of the upper salt before, so I was gettin reay to load the truck, until a few of you brought me back to my senses!! Unfortunately I don't catch enough to dent the cat population, so I do keep a few here and there that are in that good eating slot, and I have never really heard of anyone having a problem with that.
    Hitting Bartlett this weekend. Anyone have any thoughts on what this drastic weather change is going to do to the fishing??

14. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Hey Lenny,
    Your guess is as good as mine...
    * I'm certainly not saying don't go, cause anytime you can get out is a good time to go..

* I have had luck at Bartlet before fronts, during fronts, but seldomly after fronts...

* If you can't find any flats shallow, just keep going deeper.. Try one bait in as deep as 40 feet...

GOOD LUCK TO YOU!

15. azfisher

azfisher Member

State:
    arizona
    Keep killing 50 fish a trip and you wont be catching them for long. After hearing that load I wont be ever fishing up there. You know since we have an over population problem on catfish RIGHT! When are they going to change the regs on this so bozo the clown here doesn't catch every fish in Arizona in a year. Hope I never witness nothing like that.

16. Lenny The Lamb

Lenny The Lamb New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Right on Andy!! It was just confirmed my motor is fixed, so couldn't keep me off the lake this weekend for anything. Don't know where this weather came from all of a sudden, but not gonna let it get me down. I will be clock watchin bad tomorrow at work!!
    Hopefully I will have some photos come Tuesday!!

17. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Good luck Lenny,
    Fishing will probably be tough.. This feels like a winter storm.. 56 degress outside.. It is crazy...

~A

18. tdpasser

tdpasser New Member

State:
    Gilbert AZ
    Dang dude I keep fish till I have enough for the winter and spring then CPR the rest. The larger fish hold the largest skeens which mean more babies. Rudy start catching carp you can get a lot of fillet meat fron the large ones and they are good smokers. Just let the baby carp go so we can catch'em. Flathead cats are a high quality fish and should not be over harvested. Every fillet I get is a special meal for me and my family. Please don't take 50 Flats from the Salt plain and simple that's abusing the fishery no matter what the limit is.

19. SilencedMajority

SilencedMajority New Member

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    I agree with most above, sure it might be within your legal limits to catch and keep that many fish, but please try and be concious of how that might affect the ecosystem you are visiting. I'm sure most people would rather catch ten fish a weekend for years instead of fifty fish a weekend for a month. I wouldn't say that harvest is sustainable.

If I needed to keep that many fish, I'd go for stripers up at Powell or even here at Pleasant where the population can take hits like that.

20. LONE STAR

LONE STAR New Member

State:
    Raleigh, NC
    Good Morning from N. Carolina Fellas, I'm in the military and just received orders to report in to Yuma, AZ in August. I'm trying to find out some info on the wheres and hows of AZ rivers and it sounds like you fellas know what your talking about. And yes I do own a pair of wanders so inlighten me.:smile2: