Upper Salt River in Arizona - I need some info!

Discussion in 'ARIZONA RIVERS TALK' started by tdpasser, Apr 11, 2006.

1. tdpasser

tdpasser New Member

State:
    Gilbert AZ
    I want to get an up to date report on the conditions on the Upper Salt River.
    Has anybody been there lately?
    Does anybody know the name of that little tackle shop after you cross the diversion dam?
    I know pre-spawn has to be close and I'm wondering about the flow and temps there.
    Help is very much appreciated.

2. azflathead

azflathead New Member

State:
    Arizona
    You can see current flows at the usgs website.

3. tdpasser

tdpasser New Member

State:
    Gilbert AZ
    I did go there but Don't have the experience there I read total salt sys 80% Rosey 77%. I'm wondering is it time yet!!! are we close, well I know were at least close. I'm finally getting off next week but I'm not sure if I want to go to the Upper Salt or Bartlett. I know Bartlett but I'm interested in the pre-spawn thing at upper salt. 16 is my best I gotta get in the 20's at least and I know the upper salt has such nice big flatties. I feel I got good shot there but the timing is key.

4. azcatman

azcatman New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I to feel the time is getting close. My fishing partners and I have been talking about this same thing. We think that with the low run off amounts things are going start early this year. We are probably a couple of weeks away from a trip. Too busy filling the freezer with crappie fillets but that is going to end after this weekend more than likely. Been goofing off too much and it's time to get back to work. When we get down there I will be sure and post reports. Going to be a good spring I feel.

5. tdpasser

tdpasser New Member

State:
    Gilbert AZ
    azcatman/all,
    I spent a good portion of my life in WA fishing Salmon and when it was time for them to spawm they would first gather at the mouth of the river and wait for the next rain or temps to be just right.

Do flats gather at the mouth before commiting to going up river?

With some what cooler temps do you catch more pre-spawn flat during the warmth of the day or night?

6. azflathead

azflathead New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I still catch more at night even during pre-spawn. I my best time to fish is when the water turns to a consistant 60 degrees or above. The best I have ever done though was during the monsoon's, at night.

7. tdpasser

tdpasser New Member

State:
    Gilbert AZ
    Thanks for the great info guy very much appreciated. FYI- I called Kilmers at the upper salt and the runoff is still very brown and cool, no reports of any flats so far but they thought by next month it should kick off. I have some time off later this week so I think I will use it at Bartlett, just caught a pair of nice eater there Sat. night.

8. azcatman

azcatman New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Just heard from one of my fishing buddies that the flatheads are staging for the spawning run. I'll relay more info as I get it. Not long now!!!!! He said they are catching them now but I don't know the whole story yet. More to come..........

9. tdpasser

tdpasser New Member

State:
    Gilbert AZ
    Tom, have you fish the upper salt lately? How is the boat access on the river as far as finding a good portion of the channel to fish?