Upper Potomac River catfish

Discussion in 'LOCAL MARYLAND TALK' started by TIM HAGAN, Apr 3, 2007.

1. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Members I have been contacted by Maryland inland fisheries officer John Mullican about the catfish on the upper potomac. As I have worked with fisheries on the lower potomac following the bluecats their. Jim has ask if i would try and get any information i can on the catfish in the upper part of the river.

So I would ask for members help with this as I don't fish the upper part all that much. If you fish any part of the Potomac nontidal waters and would like to help out this would be a great help. What they did to know is on a fishing trip What date was it? How long and what part of the river did you fish? What baits did you use and what works best? How many and what sizes did you catch? Was they taken from the water or returned back? They are seening me a information sheet in the mail. If you would like to help out what this Pm or email me and I can get a sheet over to by email. All information will be sent to me and I will report to them at the meetings. We have turned alot of heads with the tournament over the last year and they see where the catfish has the right and need to be looked after just like bass and the other.

2. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    Tim,

That is great news. You certainly have their attention now. It seemed just a couple of years ago, you never heard of people catching blues out of the Potomac, and now MD wants to improve the catfishing.

3. aplumma

aplumma New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Hey Tim I can give you a hand I fish it almost every time it rises. It gets the fish grouped up behind the wood. I cant PM yet because of my lack of posts but I will try to get 10 meaningful posts out and then PM you.

Art

4. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    thanks any help will be great just post away and you will get there. you can also email me your catches any pictures would be nice as well

5. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    Tim,

They want info just on the upper or any parts of the state? I will be fishing the upper more then before this year but i can get them info from other sections of the state too around me if they like... you've got my email and will be seeing me fairly often, so when ever you get the chance... I'll keep track of the catches anyway...

6. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Bryan I was ask to fine help for the non tidal part of the potomac river Size,type and a count.

7. hookman571

hookman571 New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Maybe they'll improve the Catfishing like they improved the Bluefish and Oysters. When I was young, in Cumberland, they used to say the Carp had destroyed the fishing in the Potomac River. The reality of it was the Carp was the only thing that could stand the toxicity of the water, and subsequently the only thing left alive. Be careful, these guys will have a stamp out soon to add to your license to protect the fish that they manage. It's simple. Put them back like the clubs do on the James and we'll have fish for generations. Get the DNR involved and they'll go away.
    Unbelievable. Go look at the DNR parking lot in Annapolis. See all the cars, see all the boats $$$. Wake up and smell the Roses. Do I sound Cynical? I fish from Maine to Florida. Maryland is worse by far to the sportsman.