Upper Pickwick, April 11, 2009

Discussion in 'ALABAMA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by paleocaver, Apr 14, 2009.

1. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    Managed to get in the water for a little while this past Saturday. Only a couple of hours to let me son (age 9) catch a few stripe and some bream. Put one of his small bream on a 7/0 kahle hook and caught a personal best 7 lb channel. Caught a lot of bigger blues and some larger flatheads, but this one hit as hard as my largest fish. Actually wrapped me up after I set the hook. Handed the rod to my son while I pulled the anchors - had two out because there was no current and a good bit of wind. Ended up holding pressure on this fish for over 10 minutes until he finally came free. He was so exhausted that he just floated up when released. We ended up keeping him and ate him last night. yummy.

Attached Files:

2. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Scott the channels here are wearing it out now. I can catch lots of them 10+ lbs this time of year. Man your right they hit hard and fight like mad .
    pete

3. UpperBearFishin

UpperBearFishin New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Alot of channels were caught on pickwick last sat...Alot of big blues were caught drifting shad too....The stripe are tearing it up right now at Pickwick as we caught 58 on fri and 71 on sat......Plus a few decent smallmouth....

4. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    I know, I know, quit rubbing it in. :wink:

I live in Huntsville now and don't get over that way as much as I would like. I coach a little league baseball team and that keeps me even more grounded (but I love coaching these kids).

I'm headed to my usual haunts tomorrow after our noon game. Hope to tangle with some of these nice upper Wheeler blues, if I can catch some skipjack.

Scott