Upper New Draper area report

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by CatHunterSteve, Jun 28, 2009.

1. CatHunterSteve

CatHunterSteve New Member

State:
    Snowville, Va
    I fished the upper New River again this week end and caught my first falthead catfish ever. I fished some laydowns, that were the topic of a privious post in the flathead section, and fished from about 8 pm till 2 am. The flats bit around 11 pm and I caught them about 5 minutes apart out of the same hole and off of the same pole!

you've gotta love the New River, upper or lower!

Here's a link to the post about the laydowns I was fishing:
    http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115199

Get out there boys and girls, fishings only going to get better from here!

Attached Files:

2. bullydog

bullydog New Member

State:
    VA
    Not much going on down in Glen lyn today, got stuck for about 30 minutes In about 2 inches of water on top of a rock went from 35 to 0 in 10 feet. Caught about 15 small mouth an no catfish. Glad to hear you got some wiskers on your boat.

3. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Details ,,,details,,,,What bait, other bites? Congratulations on the flatheads!:big_smile:

4. CatHunterSteve

CatHunterSteve New Member

State:
    Snowville, Va
    Kenneth, I caught them on a 3-way rig with about a 2 foot sinker leader and a 1 foot bait leader, walked the rig under the trash pile till I could feel the sinker hitting the limbs under the laydown, put a fresh lively gill on about the size of my hand, used a gamma circle hook, but the bite was weird, gill got nervous and I picked the rod up and was feeling the gill dart around when that pressure got more intense but the flat didn't run with it just sort of held that pressure on the bait. I gave it a little tug and felt him on and strated reelin in. The second one came from the same hole and same pole, I rebaited and threw back into the same spot and I the gill got nervious immediately and again I felt the pressure increase and I tuged abit and relled him in.
    After that I moved, wasn't sure if I should have stayed in that hole but I hit it again next time, sure looks like it should have a monster in it!

5. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Thanks for all the information. I love the three ways on Blue cats. I have never really targeted Flatheads but plan to go some this summer. I have only caught a handfull of Flatties over here in the tidal portion of the James River and that was by accident using cut bait. Now I plan to target them thru the Richmond city section of the river with live Bluegill. Thanks again!