Upper LOZ Report - 5/4/06

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Mr.T, May 4, 2006.

1. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Went fishing with Steve Brown today - had a great time, ended up with 27 fish total, big fish was 17 lbs. Steady bite all day long (at least, while there was bait on the hooks) and man, were they moving some water!

Got some pictures and video but am wore out so will post the pictures and add more to the story tomorrow or Saturday...

2. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    Congrats on your day Marty...watch out buddy..chasing those Blues can be addictive!:big_smile: ..LMAO

3. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    Marty I spoke with Steve and he told me you had a great time. Great guy huh! You guys should have been out earlier before the current got to ripping the bite was fantastic. I had rods going down simultaneously all morning long I lost two large Blues and caught a 20lber(I didn't weigh him) and a couple more between ten and twenty. I caught numerous fish in the five to ten pound range. It was a blast.

Steve told me your son caught the largest fish! Bravo! I'll bet that made daddy proud. I'm glad you had a great time and you got to witness first hand what a professional guide does. His attention to detail and the work he puts in to making your trip enjoyable is worth the price. In addition Steve is a swell guy.

The morning bite was maybe as good as I've ever seen it. I stayed out the whole day and I usually only fish a few hours. I couldn't reel in all the fish becuase I'd have my hands full with a fish on then another and another. I wish I'd have had my video camera with me today. See ya on the water!

4. Catfish Pursuit

Catfish Pursuit New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I fished last night near where Steve's place is and caught at least 50 blues between me and my buddy. All were catch and release, biggest about 12 with a lot of dinks. Lost another big fish, leader gave up from the sinker line wrapping up in it. Also fished the same area today and we caught about 25 or so but no big fish. Also got a few channels. Ton of people pre-fishing for the tournament. Saw Anthony leaving the Harbor Cove as I was heading in at just about dark. Most of the tournament guys I saw were not catching much but were "hovering" around where we were fishing, guess they were wanting us to leave. Fishing is awesome right now. We were fishing a channel edge in about 35 feet. Chris

5. Fastman

Fastman New Member

State:
    Arnold, Mo
    Im going down early in the morning, should be on the water by 7:00am.
    From what im reading between the lines... the catfish are out in the current (main channel?)
    Im looking for suggestions.
    Should I ancor or drift? Cut shad for bait? Better luck in the day or night?
    I am going to be in the 36MM area. Where are the 2 tournaments out of? I dont want to get in their way.
    Thanks all.

6. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    Chris I think I saw Anthony down my way today guiding a large party on a pontoon(I didn't talk to him). We both put anchors out in close to the same area at the same time.(me same place as yesterday) I caught ten small ones and I didn't see them catch any. They pulled up and headed farther downriver. I haven't seen Anthonys new pontoon so I'm not positive but the spot he was fishing is pretty well know with the local guides.

Channel edges have been pretty good for a month now and with current it will only be better. I have been concentrating on some structure and channel swings as well as some windblown areas. The so called "professionals" fishing the tournament disappoint me with the way they are going about things. The better ones aren't looking for help from the locals I promise you. See ya on the water!

7. Catfish Pursuit

State:
    Missouri
    I agree with ya Bigmagic, I'm not a professional but sure can catch cats for some reason lol. I always just trophy fish for fish 25 pounds and bigger, always catch, photo and release, and usually get one on each trip. Most of the guys I saw pre-fishing were not producing any big fish, mainly dinks but they were taking their time pulling them up as if they were hogs, guess they wanted advertisement since they have names all over their boats. Saw one boat with "captain catfish" posted on it, he asked for some info but I didn't really want to give any. If you can afford a $20,000 boat then you should be able to find and catch fish. I used to talk to Anthony alot but he's really hard to get ahold of and always busy. We fished together a few times but the bite was slow then. Is your boat his old one? Chris

8. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Here's a bit more detailed account of our trip yesterday...

We got on the water at about 10am and there was a nice gentle current flowing. We anchored first just above the bend where the old middle bridge used to be (if you're from the area, you know where that is) -- the really cool thing about that particular place is that it's within 100 yards of where I used to sit and fish from the bank as a kid every day, all summer long. Never came close to catching the number of fish then that we did yesterday though -- and I'd never even heard of a shad.

We anchored and baited up - half the lines were live shad, about 8" long; the other half were fresh cut shad. And I do mean fresh - Steve grabbed them out of the bait well and chopped them up just before putting them on the hook. I've never used bait so fresh.

First fish was on within a minute, nice respectable keeper at about 21" or so. Steve has an interesting policy, and one I think I'll adopt: He allows customers to keep only 10 fish per trip, and only those fish between 20" and 22" -- smaller or bigger and it goes back in.

By about 11:30, we heard the horn sounding up at the dam which means more water is on the way - it took a while to get down to us, but the current picked up like you wouldn't believe.

We fished a couple more spots, stopped to get some more fresh bait at the entrance to White Branch cove, then anchored downstream a bit further. By that point, we probably had caught around 20 fish all together, biggest being about 24" or so. I was letting my son reel almost all of them in and he was having a blast. None of them were major hitters, a few medium strikes and the rest just seemed to be mouthing the bait to death. We used 8/0 circle hooks exclusively and had no trouble catching even the small ones - I never had much luck with circles in the past but it's a lot more clear now how you're supposed to use them.

Didn't take long after moving to that last spot for the middle rod with the live shad to go over and slap the outboard - this was a serious fish. My son jumped up and fought to get the rod out of the holder as Steve shuffled the other lines to keep the fish from getting tangled. Took a few minutes but he finally got the beast boatside and in the net. 17 lbs, by far the biggest catfish my son has ever seen, and bigger than my or my dad's personal best on rod & reel. So now he's the braggart of the family.

We got back to the dock and Steve was nice enough to show me how he cleans catfish - I've never seen anything like it; less than 5 seconds per side to remove the fillet from the fish. He had them all cleaned in under 10 minutes, and left the job of trimming the red meat, etc. up to me. Not a problem.

The day ended with a total of 27 fish including 10 nice keepers and the 17lb "monster" of the day. I learned more than you can imagine about how to read the sonar, what kind of structure to look for, and picked up some new ways to rig my lines. Plus got to see my son catch his biggest fish ever and made a believer out of my dad, who didn't think the reports I had been relaying to him about Steve, Ron and others catching 30+ fish in a day could possibly be true.

Here are a couple of pictures.

9. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Glad you had a blast down there. The best part is having someone willing to let you in on how they catch fish and rig there lines. Sounds like you might be hooked on circle hooks now..

10. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    Great post Marty! I get excited just thinking about that youngster reeling in that 17lber(ya got a partner for life there). Yesterday was fantastic and today was just fair till this evening. I'm glad your dad now knows that you don't have to sit all night and wait for a Catfish to bite. It's a common misconception. I know you learned a lot from Steve, heck everytime I see him I learn something or he shows me something I knew but had forgotten. Steve is a great guy!

Chris no my boat is not Anthony's old one. I bought mine after looking Anthonys over and bought it from Missouri River Outfitters(Troy Ennis). It was Troys personal catfish boat and had around 50hrs on it when I got it. We'll have to hook up one of these days and do a little Trophy hunting. See ya on the water!

11. Catfish Pursuit

State:
    Missouri
    Yea, we'll definately have to hook up. My boat is kind of small, only a 14 foot big jon with a 25 so I usually fish by myself (other than my dog). I'll be glad to buy the gas and go half on everything. Love fishing and when I'm not at the dragstrip racing I'm fishing. I'm taking off work from May 12th-May 24th for some fishing. Stay at our house on Pomme but drive to Warsaw to fish. Funny I see you're from Edwards, my family is buried at the Bethel Campground Cemetery down there. I'll stay in touch with ya! Chris

12. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    Chris my boat is a 24ft, has plenty of room and very solid. I have a busy month with birthdays,reunions and a hospital visit I'm dreading but I should be able to find a day in the time period between the 12th and the 24th, we'll see. Good hearing from you. See ya on the water!

13. NoCat2Big

NoCat2Big New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo
    Sounds like you had a nice trip.

I went out last night (5th) and they were running the water pretty good
    up until about 9:30pm.

Got on the water around 7pm, had to search a bit for the shad but finally found some up past where you were first anchored.

Anchored about 30-35 ft from the bank and cast downstream towards the channel and let the current bring it back to the ledge. Same scenario. I would no more than get one rod rebaited and cast out then one of the others would go to bouncing! Fun fun.. :)

My big fish last night was just a little over 19lbs, with many in the 5-10lb range. The bite is definately on with the water running like it is now (FINALLY!)

After the water shut off at about 9:30 things slowed alittle... Were still biting but I couldn't hang around much longer anyway. Had to pick the ol'lady up from work.

it's supposed to rain this evening so don't know if I'll make it out or not. Gonna try tho!

14. NoCat2Big

NoCat2Big New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo
    Oh, and I forgot to mention how good that 19+ lber tasted... mmmm mmmm GOOD.

I practice CPR.. Catch Phillet Rejoice. >:)

15. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    I mentioned it in the "tournament" thread, but there was not a drop of water moving today, and the forecast web page says nothing will move on Sunday either. I guess they don't generate power on the weekends. Either that or they're just reserving the current flow for you lucky SOBs who live there and can get out during the week...