Upper Lake Norman Sept. 8

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by baitnwait, Sep 9, 2009.

1. baitnwait

baitnwait New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    After a few weeks off the water and another week layoff on my hands, I decided to see if the cats were biting. I figured they ought to be hungry after a holiday weekend of keeping their heads down to avoid being run over. Using cut gizzard shad I started out trolling the 20' to 30' range where I located some bait schools near the islands with only a 6lber for the effort. Then gradually worked deeper catching a 7lb blue and a small channel. Then I was pleasantly surprised by a 30lb flathead in 50' to 55' of water. After a few more passes in the same area I was able to add a 25, 17, and a couple of 7lb blues. A few small ones joined me for dinner and the big ones released to fight another day.

Attached Files:

2. mintaka

mintaka Well-Known Member

State:
    Charlotte , N.C
    Seeing that makes me wanna go up there. Those are some nice fish!!
    Maybe I'll go to Pinnacle and try to fish beneath the bridge or on the riprap. Last time I went , the game warden informed me they were recieving complaints about those without boats using that ramp. Last I checked , they were all open to boating and fishing. If not there , then McCrary's Creek across the street will suffice.

3. wtjordan84

wtjordan84 New Member

State:
    NC
    man....thats a nice flattie. 50-55 feet of water huh? Its crazy that those fish are just down that deep hanging out

4. Asartin

Asartin Well-Known Member

State:
    nc
    Name:
    Austin Sartin
    Nice fish for sure, how far up on the lake were you? Theres some really good structure just below "long Island" that sounds similar to what you had some luck in. Sure do miss fishing that lake

5. baitnwait

baitnwait New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I was in the main channel below the first island above the state park. Went back Friday morning and only caught four small blues. I was still marking fish and plenty of bait but wasn't getting many hits. Most of what I was seeing seemed to have moved upstream and concentrated near the next island.

6. Asartin

Asartin Well-Known Member

State:
    nc
    Name:
    Austin Sartin
    There could be some fish in the back of Terapin creek. There is any underwater island just past the last big point on the right, had some really good luck with the cats and stripers this time of year. The island should be in 26 to 28 ft and come up to 20 or 22 if I remember right, drops off on all sides of it..