Upper Lake Norman August 5 report

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by baitnwait, Aug 5, 2009.

1. baitnwait

baitnwait New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I haven't been catfishing much lately and after the reports on the lower end I didn't have high hopes of catching much in the shallower Long Island area. I was taking a friend who was visiting from Arkansas to show him how to troll for cats. We ended up with 8 blues up to 7lbs, one small flathead, and one channel using frozen gizzard shad and skip jack. Also a largemouth, two small stripers, and about a dozen white perch on jigging spoons. No monsters but plenty of action. My friend is now looking forward to trying the technique at the original home of the Arkansas blue!

2. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Nice fishing Dennis. Congrats on the catch an taking a friend along!

3. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Nice fishing Dennis. Thanks for the area update. Congrats on the catch an taking a friend along!

4. tarheelbluemark

tarheelbluemark New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thanks for the upper lake report. I also fish around Long Island a lot.

5. Asartin

Asartin Well-Known Member

State:
    nc
    Name:
    Austin Sartin
    The long island area can be a very productive area. I used to catch stripers all the way around that Island. Did you hear a barking dog up there while you were catching fish????

6. baitnwait

baitnwait New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Yes I did. My partner even commented on it sounding like it was down in a hollow or a house.

7. Asartin

Asartin Well-Known Member

State:
    nc
    Name:
    Austin Sartin
    Every time I fished there and had a dog barking in the distance we burned the fish up. Not so good when the dogs not barking for some reason... Wierd huh. The rip rap right above the creek on Bills marina side has been really good to me in the past as well...

8. deepwoods

deepwoods Member

State:
    north carolina
    I fish (and live) in the long island area. IMO the fishing in the area is better than the last couple of years. I have not seen as much jug fishing this year as past. I have seen it, but not as much. I have a lot of luck off the points of the islands and the channel on the East side of the lake as you approach the Buffelo Shoals Bridge. There is lots of underwater contour (humps) which can be great. The area around the 23 mile marker is good. If you crappie fish most of the docks north of the island where the condos are have trees dropped off the docks, in the spring it can be a great crappie are.