upper lake norman 6/19

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Bill Smith, Jun 20, 2008.

1. Bill Smith

Bill Smith New Member

State:
    north carolina
    found lots of 2-5 lb blues at the humps around marker 23 main lake at 0830. caught 16 in 2 hrs before it slowed down. pulled 6 white perch baits and only caught 1 fish. netted some shad ( bait was everywhere) and started reeling the cats in. I don't know if the cats on the upper lake just like shad better or if I just have more confidence in shad and pull it longer. Opinions?

White perch are everywhere. Caught 9 using a sabiki rig that where longer than 10 inches and invited them for supper. Must have caught 50 small ones.

Stopped at a bush pile in 32 ft of water on the way back to 150 ramp and caught 4 crappie large enough to keep jigging the sabiki rig. I'm going to try this more often.

Fishing keeps me sane so I have to go alot

2. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    Sounds like a few hours of quality time brother.

3. baitnwait

baitnwait New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Hard to beat a day like that! I've fished the upper end of LN for a number of years mostly by anchoring and fishing multiple rigs baited with the threadfin I could catch. I enjoyed some 20+ fish days but rarely any blues over 10lbs and none over 20. I knew the bigger fish were there and it about drove me nuts trying to figure out what I was doing wrong. I finally succeeded in catching some bigger fish after switching to drifting and using fillets from perch, bream, bass etc. I don't know if its getting the bait farther away from the boat, the moving bait, different bait or a combination of those factors, but it works! I suppose you can always let the fish decide their preference by baiting rigs on one side of the boat with shad and the other with something else such as perch. Any way my sanity has improved!:smile2:

4. Bill Smith

Bill Smith New Member

State:
    north carolina
    dennis,

I've fished upper since the 80's and have caught alot of flats over 20 and three over 40. have not caught many big blues although have caught several in the 30's. by my logs best time to hookup on a big fish is post spawn which should be anytime now

PM me sometime and we can compare notes

5. deepwoods

deepwoods Member

State:
    north carolina
    I also fish the upper end. It was interesting you where seeing bait out in the main channel. I ususally have to visit the back of the state park to find bait. Is it common to find shad out in the deep water in the mornings? I usually use cut bait. I like the channel just south of the Buffelo Shoals bridge for drifting. How deep where you fishing? I was there last week and most of the fish were on the bottom

6. baitnwait

baitnwait New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Jeff I took my wife and daughter out a couple of weeks ago there at Long Island. They don't care to get up early so it was about 6:30 before we got there. We drifted 20' depths near the islands across from the landing and let my daughter catch 7. My wife helped her out with a couple of double hook ups for 2 more before the wind started gusting different directions more than I cared to fight. I was using frozen fillet strips since I wasn't getting there as early as I normally would to catch bait.
    I often see schools of shad out from the landing and in open water around the islands before daylight, at least during the warm months. Usually if I mark them on the depthfinder after launching I will stop and turn on my docking lights for a few minutes, then catch what I need without the run to the state park. The cove at the back of the marina near the LI access used to provide all the bait I needed, but don't seem to be as productive after the installation of all those docks.
    One night early last fall there was more shad than I'd ever seen on the upper end. They were scattered all over the open water from Long Island down stream to were the water depth dropped to the 30' range. I couldn't catch a fish. No wonder with all that bait. I suppose they ignored my baits near the bottom to feed on the shad near the surface.

7. Bill Smith

Bill Smith New Member

State:
    north carolina
    Jeff,

It seems that any point on the main lake channel holds bait at some time during the day. Mouth of creeks and coves is where I stop to catch bait. last week I was catching bait in 30 ft of water and was catching blues under the bait. On the upper lake anywhere you notice strippers or largemouths repeatedly hitting the top is a good place fish. If you fish alot you'll notice there are some areas where there are always bass. That's the areas I fish.
    Both sides of the channel after it passes the 3 islands is a good place to start.

8. deepwoods

deepwoods Member

State:
    north carolina
    Dennis.,
    Our home is on the cove across from Long Island Marina (east side of the lake). There used to be no problem finding shad in our cove but for some reason they have been hard to find. There are plenty of white perch and blue gills and some night time cats. I sort of enjoy venturing back to the State Park to hunt bait. If I know I am going to be fishing for a couple of days I will spend a couple of hours to get as much bait as I can find. I do not make an effort to keep the shad alive unless I am going striper fishin. I will put them on ice in zip lock bags and then freeze them when I get home. I notice if you keep them fozen too long they fall apart when they thaw. That alley on the east side of the islands gets jug fished a great deal. I fish out of a 17 ft carolina skiff if you see me stop by.
    Jeff