Upper Kings river

Discussion in 'LOCAL CALIFORNIA TALK' started by StankBait, Feb 11, 2008.

1. StankBait

StankBait New Member

State:
    CA
    Got a hair and decided to leave the boat home and camp out at the upper kings river, with my boy Rob.

We left friday afternoon about 330p with dreams of wild rainbows and sunny skys in our mind ......

Now, this stretch of the river differs from the lower kings river that comes out of Pine Flat in a few ways. It does NOT have a planting program, it does NOT have much angler traffic, and thereofre does NOT have much trash of any kind. A two fish day (limit) is remarkable.
    It is a serene and sacred place that has supported human existence for over 1000 years. It is not uncommon to find obsision and arrowheads on some of the trails after a rain storm.
    Indian ruins are a short hike away, and you are right down in the middle of the Kings Canyon, huge green mountians surround you , suck you in.
    Once in a while a peek at the higher elevation mountians dusted with snow is possible.

We arrived about 5 and cracked a barley pop to start the celebration!!
    Promptly unloaded and went on a wood mission, the mission was fruitful and we had no worries about warmth so we set out to a hole about a mile up road.

As productive and fishy as it looked, and as many trout as I have pulled from that run, I was suprised to hook up with a 4'' sculpin and Rob only a lowly carp.:eek:oooh:

As dusk faded to the darkness we headed back to camp catching only the above mentioned fish and a slight buzz.:wink:

We got the fire going after a lumberjack session on some large logs.(ByYours Truly, thanks for holding the light Rob !!)

We BSed and drank our beer until we were visited by a fellow camper whose wife had pooped out too early for his taste.
    We told fish stories and soon went to bed after a hot bowl of Chicken soup........

I awoke about 9am with the sun on the otherside of the river. Rob had been fishing for a few hrs stoking the fire for nada. I decided to pack up and fish our way out , stopping af promising runs . As I went to reel in my rod and leave, a nice suprise was on the other line. A stout fight on the ultra light and he was in hand for his photo op. Headed to another hole that had been in the sun for 4 hrs and was not producing, so we headed home.

Another sucessful trip with a good fishing buddie and the sceanary to match.

Oh yea as we were packing up a bald eagle soared a mere 100 ft over the river right past us as to say see ya next time, a magical area for sure!!!

Tight lines and loose drags

STANKBAIT

AKA Fresnofishfan
    AKA Fresnofishassasin

2. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    That upper kings is considered to be a wild river isn't it?

3. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Thanks for the post....glad to see that you enjoyed the outing and the great time in the "wild"

bayrunner Ray

4. StankBait

StankBait New Member

State:
    CA
    Yes Tom it is a wild river. No plants on this stretch we fish, and if you go so far up stream it is barbless lures and flys only. I like to fish the bait section, as I dont fly fish.

Thanks Ray it is a great spot!!
    Glad I can share my sucesss as those darn fish are smart and hard to catch!!

Stankbait

5. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Last time I was up there I was with my Bro in law and he was collecting cobbles for use in a decorative border. I remember there was a bridge over the river and looking off I could see this huge trout. I tried to interest it in a small spoon that I dropped off the bridge but it would just come up and have a look at it.

6. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    "That was good reading" & I can't wait to be apart of one of those stroies.
    :wink:

Thanks for sharing that with us all.
    :0a31:

Take It Easy,
    Bert

7. badams

badams New Member

State:
    california
    Hey Stankbait. The next time that you go up there and want to try the fly only area use a streamer. Its a fly but its used submerged with some small split shot. Put them far enough up your line so that you have a good length of leader.Cast and reel it in as if it were a Rooster Tail. I caught some right dandy 18" brown trout out of the Trinity River that way. Something else that works well for trout though you'll have to be in the bait area is grasshoppers. Pretty easy to catch if you're wearing a ball cap. Just throw it down overhand (trap em in the part your head sits in) on top of them and reach under and grab them. Keep em in a BandAid box. Hook em so that some color of their wings is showing and pitch it in under a little 2' or 3' waterfall.
    Blammy! Catch you some trout

8. StankBait

StankBait New Member

State:
    CA
    Thanks for the tips! I want to pick up fly fishing, but its alot of walking!!
    I need to grab some stramers ad wollybuggers for next time!!!
    I like to soak bait and relax. Catfishing for trout as I call it!!:smile2:

Crickets and Hoppers will kill inabout 3 weeks up there!!
    Fun part is catching them!!
    Salmonfly hatch is coming soon as well. Last year my bro caught one hooked it on and sent it down, can you say trout candy?? Couldnt find anymore tho.

Stankbait
    FFF