Upper Kanawha River Fishing Report 08

Discussion in 'WEST VIRGINIA RIVER TALK' started by Jerry60k, Mar 19, 2008.

1. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    Well I finaly managed to get a little time in this week and the carp are starting to hit good along with the smalmouth.No catfish for me yet as the shad are still out deep but it shouldnt be long.Gotta get the bait I hope to go to a pond tomorrow or sometime and find some early sunfish.

Also spotted a flock of seagulls hangin out on the river I hope they dont make it their home like these danged geese.

2. Junior42

Junior42 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, KY
    Congrats on starting the year out.

3. firechief4201

firechief4201 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, Kentucky
    Jerry, it's nice to fish no matter what you catch.

4. crawford1

crawford1 Member

State:
    west virginia
    Has anyone tried the winfield locks yet this year?

5. Hawk33

Hawk33 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Does anyone know the water temp of the kanawha ?

6. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    Its not quite to the 50 degree mark cause the shad arnt bunching up in the creeks just yet.I have been getting alot of action carp fishing but thats about it.

Sunfish are still 5-10 ft from the banks too so baits kinda hard to get for flats right now.

7. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    Ok the hybrids are hitting, carp are pre-staging for spawn soon as the water temps rise.I missed 2 good runs on shad today and another good run on half a dozen night crawlers.

Wont be long.

8. corklabus

corklabus New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Just a question. Was just wondering what area you are considering to be designated as the "upper" Kanahwa ?
    I realize that the Kanahwa pretty well begins at Gauley Bridge and personally, I probably wouldn't travel south much beyond the falls at the old power plant.

I Do know that my boat has been used somewhere around the Montgomery area before I bought it, but I'm not familiar with the access to that area and also wondered what sort of hazards may be in that area.

9. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    I dont normaly fish by boat but the biggest hazard I can tell would be submerged timber around some of the islands.

I consider anything above Marmet to be Upper Kanawha.The water temps rise sooner above the Marmet locks and dams than below them.I can catch fish starting mid march up here and be into real good action by mid to end of April.
    The action starts picking up about mid april below the Marmet Locks.Except hybrid stripers wich start as early as Feb.

Where you located corklabus we might be able to get a fishin trip set up.

Also imo some of the best fishing is below Montgomery I find the catfish above there to be just mediocre most of the time.

10. mandolinman

mandolinman New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Hey Jerry60K thanks for the info! Im from the St Albans area and new to catfishing.

11. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Congrats on starting the year out, and the info

12. shaleetoo

shaleetoo New Member

State:
    w v
    jerry did u ever try smoked catfish im from wisconsin 5 yrs ago we moved here to char. i am hu n gry for smoked cats i just bought a brinkman smoker. now i have to get fishing again i agree with u i think the fish do run bigger the farther u go down the kan. the elk is really under fished i had a 55 lb flathead last year in august . i like channels for smoking and flatheads for deep frying and there are blues in the kan. i had a small 1 last summer 4lbs . in wis they call flatheads --missippis have a good one .lee

13. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    Well anytime a WV brother wants to hook up just drop me a message here I will give you my phone #.

14. corklabus

corklabus New Member

State:
    West Virginia

I'm up at Hico. East of Ansted. I just got this old boat last year mostly so the wife wouldn't be stuck with bank fishing. She's got arthritis real bad and even when she can make it to a bank spot she has a lot of trouble doing it. Never owned a boat before. Never crossed my mind until I decided she needed one :wink: because she loves to fish. What she calls fishing anyway. She likes the little pan fish. I mean little little. I call 'em Guppies.:eek:oooh:

Anyway,I'm a bit leary of the boat itself. It's just too damn fast to be so old. I know, I know don't use so much throttle.....but sometimes it's fun.

I've also always been leary of that river stuff. Heard about too many rafting accidents on the New River and other than going to Summersville Lake, which I don't really care much for, and Plum orchard Lake, I've yet to deal with the boat in river currents. Needless to say, the wife ain't any too pleased about going out on the river either. Then too it would probably take the National Guard to get the boat out of the driveway without her in it.

The only thing I know about fish in the Kanahwa is that I've spent several days in the parking garage at the Montgomery hospital at different doctor appointment times tossing french fries and stuff into the river there to some huge schools of Carp. It was great fun to watch 'em fight over french fries.

I've heard tell that there was a good bit of fishing done at Hawksnest Lake also. The past owner of my boat had it in there and went up river toward the bridge and drifted back to the boat ramp and caught several Bass and cats. I DID go down and look that boat ramp over to see if I was brave enough to try the river in that area, but the water was really low just prior to Bridge Day and I didn't think I wanted to risk going much farther than where they dock that jet boat thing. Having decided that, it just didn't seem like there was much area left to fish between there and the dam, so I never did try it, but with the price of gas being what it is I may be forced to reconsider it since it's the closest water to home.

15. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    Well I tell you what around the end of April or very first of May if you want to go fishing I have a spot perfect for your wife on the bank or water.

My wifes grandmother even goes from time to time.Its all flat easy to get to.Easy to land the fish.Another place I want to try is the WVU marina across from Montgomery its also easy access and has a floating pier and a small campground.Have to be outa there by 10 pm I think unless your camping.

I do catch most of my cats in the early day or later evening around dark..The one in my avatar was actualy caught just after dark.

I can tell you I know for a fact there are monster channel cats in Plum Orchard.Most people going there fish for Bass and sunfish.

Hawksnest lake can also be very good fishing may even be some flatheads there (dont know why there wouldnt be).Also if your down that far you also have the falls just be careful.Theres a hole towards the railroad tracks side of the falls were theres a big horseshoe bend thats supposed to be awesome flathead territory.I havent gotten to try it cause its hard to get to without a boat.

16. jim1961

jim1961 New Member

State:
    W.va
    WTG JERRY NICE ONE

17. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    Almost time to get on the river Jim.There already biting just hard to find the shad for bait.

18. corklabus

corklabus New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I remember my stepson telling me something about that hole on the far side of Kanawha Falls. He said they got permission from a property owner over there and was allowed to park and walk in. He said when the water was clear you could watch huge fish swimming in that hole.

My wife is one of those mid-afternoon to evening types. She rarely gets her tail out of bed before 11 and figures the boat should be on the trailer by dark. I just sort of got accustomed to putting up with her schedules because of her disabilities.

Hey Shaleetoo...... what are ya gonna fire that smoker with ? I got Hickory twigs comin out my ears up here. Three big piles of 'em cut down last summer.

Hoping this rain crap quits pretty soon. I'm about to go stir crazy wanting to test my new fish finder. Tomorrow isn't lookin too good either. Hoping I can make it to Plum Orchard Friday.

19. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    Nice fish in your avatar

20. shaleetoo

shaleetoo New Member

State:
    w v
    hi cork ive got quite a bit o hickory and apple wood all i have to do i catch some channeles. put my boat in today made sure its ready to go . i see now its going to rain the next couple of days .just getting over the dam flu . so i dont care to get a wet butt. if the water isnt to dirty its suppose be nice sunday . so ill maybe give it a shot water temp .down here is 60. have a good one. lee