Upper James River

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by riverdawg-1, May 20, 2007.

1. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    went the james tonight near big island. bite was really slow, got a few runs and caught 1 flathead about 8#. flatheadjames 001.jpg

2. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    That is a good eating size fish. What did you use for bait?

3. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    I caught it on a 4 or 5 inch bullhead. When I cleaned it it was full of crawdads.

4. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I usually do pretty good just downstream from the Parkway Bridge. My house is right across the road from the ramp in Big Island, at the mouth of Hunting Creek. There are a lot of good fishing holes around there. I get bait from the pond on the Parkway or right below the dam there on Otter Creek.

5. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    Billie
    I caught the flathead at Reed Creek boat landing. Where below the parkway bridge do you fish, which side of the river? We started there about 10:00 sat night fishing on the side of the visitor center. We went to the point where Otter? creek runs into river. Fished 2 hours no bites, crossed river and fished beside bridge for another hour, no bites. We tried everything-Live gills, cut gills, chicken livers, night crawlwers, even tried cut shad. The flat head at reed creek hit the only Bullhead i had. May just have been an off night, Talked to several people bringing boats in and noone had caught anything. Let me know if you ever want any company when you fish that area, I don't know much about it but would like to fish it more.
    Chip

6. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    Chip, I usually fish to far side of the river from the visitors center, right where the fast water hits the slow. You saw the Island there, well there is a pretty deep hole on the Route 501 side of the river right at the tip of that island, (that's Big Island). The last time I fished there I caught 4 Flatheads for a total weight of 69 pounds, (and one huge snapping turtle). The best way to get there is from Rt. 501, below the parkway bridge, at the end of the guard rail, you'll see a service road that goes down by the tracks. Go down there and it's a short walk to the point where Battery Creek comes into the river. I used to do pretty good at Reed Creek. There are a lot of sunken rail road ties there that hold fish. However, I haven't done as well since they put in the new ramp there (it used to be a dirt ramp). I think that area has been over fished. Another good place that is a good walk unless you float in, is below the confluence where the Maury comes into the James. You can walk in along the tracks or canoe in from the ramp in Glasgow. That area gets very little catfish pressure.

7. criggster

criggster New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I've always wanted to try the area near the confluence of the Maury and James as well as balcony falls. How far of a walk is it to the mouth of the Maury?

8. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    Theres a public launch, as in carrying a canoe 100 or so yards to the james, you actually park right next to the Maury river. Balcony falls starts just downstream from there. If you do balcony falls start on far river right and be careful, there are a few tricky parts to the rapids, and there are several sets. However the smallmouth and apparently catfishing is awesome! You can also camp anywhere on the right side of the river in the gorge it's national forest.

9. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    You can drive right to the confluence. There is a place upstream from the point about 150 yards where I have caught several Channel cats 10# or better. It's fast water with plenty of snags so be prepared. During the summer you can actually wade across the river there and fish up and down the other side.

10. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    Where in Va are you? I'm in Salem near Dixie Caverns.
    Chip

11. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    Billie have you hear about the fish kill upstream from buchanan? I hope this isn't the start of something like the Shenendoah.

12. criggster

criggster New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I live here in Roanoke on Peters Creek Road. I'm looking for a fishing partner. I moved here about two years ago and don't have anyone to fish with.