Upper james river help?

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by Ripper, May 11, 2006.

1. Ripper

Ripper New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Hello all I am new to the site,could you guys point me in the right direction for catching flatties on the upper james,such as where to put in and what kinda depth/structure to look for I have never targeted flatties on a river.

I have a 15' jon boat with a 9.9hp, and am willing to travel,I have heard alot about watkins landing,any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. kayakgeek

kayakgeek New Member

State:
    Fredericksburg, VA
    There is also a seperate Flathead area on this site. Might find some info there.

3. Nightfisher

Nightfisher Guest

Yer killin me Ripper! lol! Get back where you belong! LMAO!

4. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    That's my main stompin' ground Ripper. I fish from Lynchburg upstream. Boat access is limited up here but here are the best places. Downtown Lynchburg: put in below the Rt 29 bridge. Three hundred yards upstream is a small dam. There are a lot of big Flats caught there. 12 miles up stream from there on Rt 501 is Big Island. There is a boat ramp at the foot of my driveway on Riverside Circle.( Where Hunting Creek hits the river). There are five islands going up stream from there with good Flats around them, and another small dam 1 1/2 miles upstream. There are a lot of Flats there also. You'll go under the bridge at The Blue Ridge Parkway (above the third island, half way to the dam) just below the bridge where the water gets a little deeper is a great spot. A little further down I 81 is Buchanan. There is a boat ramp there with Flats, smallies, and muskies all over that area. Bank fishing anywhere around Glasgow, where The Maury comes into the James is outstanding but it's fast water. Canoes are better than Jon Boats there. The whole area also has some nice channel cats. Good Luck!

5. Ripper

Ripper New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Thanks Willie when i make it down that way I'll let you know maybe you could show me some good spots personally.

6. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    That will work! Looking forward to it. Good luck with all your fishing, brother! Another place that may be of interest is the Roanoke/Stanton River around Brookneal. There are a lot of big cats there, also. Start with a little town called Long Island.

7. vacatfish

vacatfish New Member

State:
    bedford virginia
    Welcome to the family. brother flathead has you covered well. do as he saids and you will be in good shape.