Upper James River fish kill?

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by flathead willie, Jun 1, 2007.

1. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I heard today that we are having a fish kill in the upper James and Cow Pasture like we had in the Shanondoah. Has anyone heard about it? I hope this guy was wrong.

2. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    Unfortunately, your not wrong. I read about it the other day, and thurs. a couple of friends floated from I-81 bridge to Arcadia and saw a few dead fish. They also said the fishing was really slow. I hope this is not a long term thing.
    Chip

3. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Thats just wrong in my book. Unless its an invasive species like asian carp...IMHO!!!

4. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Saw a news report from the station here in Lynchburg last night, and they followed some DGIF biologists on the James through Lynchburg, and found multiple species with some nasty sores....including catfish.

Anybody know how far these things can spread? I am afraid it will spill over into the lower James and ruin the trophy fishery down there.

5. BoG

BoG Member

State:
    Delaware
    Name:
    Bo
    I was speaking with a river guide the other day. According to one of the biologists there is a fish kill, but it is nothing like the shenandoah kill. Not supposed to be nearly as bad. Can't say much more, but it was encouraging to hear it is not caused by the same thing.

Bo

6. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    I fished in Big Island last night, caught about 15 Channels 10-14 inches. Good news none had sores and we saw no dead fish. Fished with live and cut gills and live bullheads, all the fish we caught hit the rod with nightcrawlers.
    Chip

7. r_p_narramore

r_p_narramore New Member

State:
    East KY
    Any updates on the fish kill?

8. criggster

criggster New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I heard that it is also happening in the Maury River too! In the past there was very little spreading of chicken manure on the Maury. I drove every road in the watershed from the City of Lexington to the headwaters as part of a Source Water Protection Plan for the Maury Service Authority. There was some agriculture, and a few poultry operations, quite a few places where cows were watering directly in the stream. But, by and large there is no comparison with this watershed and that of the Shenandoah River.

9. bigblueone

bigblueone New Member

State:
    Virginia
    chip you need to come on board on fishing buggs. I hope the fish kill wipes out the whole james fishery:lol: then we can see if these boys have any talent,which if they did they would not fish there WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 1bigblue:cool2:

10. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    I plan on fishing Buggs some this year, my big boat is in the process of getting ready. Hopefully by around 1st of july I'll be there!:big_smile:Are there any decent places to bank fish on Buggs?
    Chip

11. bigblueone

bigblueone New Member

State:
    Virginia
    chip there are plenty of places to bank fish at.sometimes when were on the boat we watch bank fishers catching more than us,makes us wonder why we haveboats:big_smile:,but after the spawn you need a boat. 1bigblue:cool2: