Upper James River catfish

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by riverdawg-1, Aug 12, 2007.

1. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    Went to the James Sat night. Put jon boat in at Snowden and went up to the end of James river gorge. Caught cats all night. All the Flatties on live gills and channels on cut gill. Action was steady until 4 am when I ran out of gills. Heres a few pics of the 5 i kept.
    Chip james river 8-12 002.jpg

james river 8-12 004.jpg

2. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    :worship::worship:

3. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    Thanks for the great fishing report, Chip!

4. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    Nice trip, thanks for the report.

5. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Good going Chip. That's always been a good spot. I used to camp on the island there and do pretty good. Did you see any deer on the islands? There used to be a nice buck on the lower one.

6. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Any of you guys fish the James around Lynchburg? I went for a bike ride tonight, and went over a couple of bridges, and saw alot of fish. Saw some nice sized gar, and alot of bass. Saw a bass swim right under the big momma turtle and WHAM took the baby turtle. Had a nice birds eye view. Didn't see any cats though. I'm tempted to take my pole down there and try a few spots.

7. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I've fished it a good bit but I prefer the upper James because of the Gar. I haven't seen any Gar above dam in Lynchburg but those bait stealing things are all over the place below the dam. They catch some good Flatheads at the foot of the dam but there is a lot of pressure there. Down towards Galts mill is much nicer. There are a lot of nice Smallies and Muskies there also. Try fishing the mouth of any feeder stream.

8. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va

No I didn't see any deer, but I think it was due to some loud campers on the left bank where the boulders start.
    Chip

9. lakemoultrieblues

lakemoultrieblues Member

State:
    SC
    That's a good catch even without the deer.