Upper Cape Fear River

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by irishpride42, Jun 25, 2007.

1. irishpride42

irishpride42 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    We are planning on fishing the upper Cape Fear all day on Saturday and I was curious if any of you have any advice as to where we should start. We are putting in at the boat ramp on 42. We will be using live bream, cut shad, and eels (if we can get ahold of any) Anything thing else we should try? Any help would be great guys.

Thanks!

2. greggofish

greggofish New Member

State:
    Holly Springs, NC
    the Haw River....

go up and make a right at the split. You will see 15-17 feet of water after a 1/2 mile or so. If you get to the first bridge you have gone to far. Anchor to the side anywhere in there, it is a pretty good stretch, and throw to the middle with cut shad. You will catch channels, a few whites and eels.

I had to help a few guys out Friday night that were having boat trouble right at dark, probably pissed the mosquitos off cause they would have eaten those guys alive, and they were carp fishing. They were up the Haw past the second bridge (US 1) and were actually carp fishing. They said they did well using corn and a homeade bait catching a bunch of carp up to 11 pounds. Suppose that would be something to do when it gets slow.

In that same area, the Longnose Gar are going nuts right now as well. We caught one that was around 12-14 pounds and had several on that seemed larger. They were killing all of our bream. We need rain to get some current to calm thise critters down.

It is hit or miss there, and if you stay down in the Cape Fear, it is mostly miss. But if you want to go that route, make a left out of the ramp, go under the bridge, and fish in front of the cabins, shelters a mile or so down. just fish in 15-20 feet of water from the banks to the middle and you can always catch a few channels......you will have to deal with the RRWSA..............[River Redneck Water Skiers Association}

3. irishpride42

irishpride42 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Fished today fro about 4 hours to no avail. We had two little bites nothing too heavy and they didnt take. We fished the split at the fist drop from 18 to 12 and then tried by the dock at the start of the split. Fished with cut shad and live/cut bream.

Well maybe next time!

4. crab

crab New Member

State:
    Ironton,Ohio
    Im going to Kure Beach In a couple weeks, is there any good catfishing close to it.

5. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I would go saltwater fishing there, but thats just me.

6. joe0580

joe0580 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i am about an hour and some change away let me know if want to fish cape fear. i got bait and rods all you got to do is show up. we can bank fish. been doing pretty good last couple days. otherwise i would fish surf or piers.

7. Ictalurus Punctatus

Ictalurus Punctatus New Member

State:
    Greensboro, NC

That's the same thing I said. I was out there yesterday til about 9:30 and got nada. I have a 30,000 mosquito bite limit, once it hits 30,001 I have to weigh it against how good the fishing is....so we left.

Jon

8. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Full moon.
    I constantly watch the moon when I catfish. The full moons are the worst.
    No moon is best. A fast setting moon is good.

I had the oppertunity to go Saturday night. You would have had to been supplying some real German brew to get me out there chasing something that wasnt going to bite.

9. Ictalurus Punctatus

Ictalurus Punctatus New Member

State:
    Greensboro, NC
    I must hang my head in shame, I never checked the moon phase before I left the house. The only time I noticed it was as I was leaving the ramp. I think between that and the high that moved in and brought this lovely cooler weather, we were doomed from the start.

Jon

10. crab

crab New Member

State:
    Ironton,Ohio
    I plan on doing some surf fishing and from the pier. But if I get bored with it joe ill give you a yell on here,thanks for the invite.