Upper Arkansas River stripers

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA RIVERS TALK' started by SunburntAgain, Jul 2, 2007.

1. SunburntAgain

SunburntAgain New Member

State:
    Tulsa, OK
    The Arkansas is running up to 70,000 cfs lately out of Keystone, and been months since they ran less than 40,000. Anyone familiar with the Arkansas knows that is an awful lot of current. I've been having no luck last couple weeks on locating the blues or flatheads ever since the flow jumped from 50k to upwards of 60k cfs. But, on a brighter note the striper fishing has been excellent since the surge of new water. I've been probably 8 times the last 2 weeks and have caught around 10 stripes each trip in 2 hrs. Ive been finding them below a submerged rip-rap wing dam in about 9' of water. They've mostly been 3 - 15 lbs, catching them on 6" storm shad lures, and saltwater powerbait swim baits on 1/2oz jigs. I actually had a monster on a couple days ago but he rapped me up in a flooded sycamore tree, and I couldnt get him loose, and Im not about to jump into the river with that kind of current. I just thought id give a heads up to anyone who has a notion to do any other-than-cat-fishing. Bring some stout gear, the current is awful. :big_smile:

2. Flintman

Flintman New Member

State:
    OKC, OKLA.
    Good info, thanks Zach. I'm getting ready to try it below Kaw dam at the end of the week, I hear good reports from there too.

3. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    Thanks for the report there Zack.....where is your partner in crime Josh? I haven't seen him post in a long time.

Tom, let us know how you do below Kaw. I've been thinking about trying down there myself for some stripers and hybrids, when I find some time.

4. SunburntAgain

SunburntAgain New Member

State:
    Tulsa, OK
    I havn't talked to him in a couple weeks, but from what I gather he's having a really busy year.

:edit: I just got a gigantic new rapala super shad rap from bass pro today. Im about to go see what the stripers think about it. wish me luck.

5. brian89

brian89 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    you on the south side or north side???

6. capt theory

capt theory New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    well howdy.. see im being talked about.. hope your doing well chris.. it has been a long time. zach pretty much nailed it. not a good year for fishing. but i will admit its been hittin the noggin recently so here i am. ive really only been out for a couple times in maybe march. and if i remember correctly zach was slaying them the day before and the next morning we went out and got skunked as we ever were.. he blames me and i blame him of course. but we all know whos right.. :roll_eyes: hope alls well with everybody. you all take it easy.

7. catfishcentral

State:
    OK
    There's Josh, I'm sure your ears were burning cause you knew we were talking about ya. Sorry you haven't had too much time to fish. If it makes you feel any better I haven't done much myself...well at least not the usual amount. Get out and catch some fish. You know what excuses are like......

8. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Havent caught any good ones since last october 2006. Sounds like your tearing them up. I fish the steamplants in the cumberland river system, using live skipjack for bait. loads of fun. Thanks

9. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    What are y'all doing with all that water over there in OK? It sure isn't getting over here to the Little Rock area. I checked the Corps of Engineers site, and for today, they're saying 5K for Webbers & 8K for Kerr. :beat_shot:

10. catfishcentral

State:
    OK
    we gotta get a little to give a little. We haven't for the most part gotten a lot of rain this fall. Lakes are all down at normal level so don't look for much water that what your getting right now. I'd wish it would get some good rain going up here it's always good for the fishing.:big_smile:

11. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    The Fishin's Always good...:roll_eyes:

It's the catchin that's sometimes tough...:smile2: