upgrading the Hummnbird Matrix 97

Discussion in 'Other Repairs' started by iceman, Mar 8, 2008.

1. iceman

iceman New Member

State:
    Walterboro S.C
    I have a Matrix 97 and found the upgrades for it and loaded them on a SD card. when i put the card in the slot i don't have a prompt or anything come up on the screen. what am i doing wrong? any help would be appreciated.

GARY:smile2:

2. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    The SD card needs to have ONLY the upgrade software on it and nothing else. Also you need to install the card while the unit is off, then when you power up it should prompt you to update.

Maybe you already did it like that, just throwing out a suggestion with the info you gave.

Any more details on exactly what you tried?

3. iceman

iceman New Member

State:
    Walterboro S.C
    my sd card only has the update on it and i have tried it with the unit off and on and nothing. it should prompt when turned on. its crazy
    GARY

4. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Gary, I don't know about HB, but my lowrance usually does the upgrades automatically, without a prompt. I would go back and read the download & installation instructions thoroughly, then try it all again. Hope it works for you. One more thing; are you sure you don't already have the latest updates installed? Check the operating software version of the unit vs the upgrade on the card. Just a thought...

5. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    With the unit turned off. Stick the SD card in. Then turn the unit on. And it will boot up and load the update.
    But you have to start with the unit off.
    Pete

6. Doctor

Doctor Member

State:
    Springfield, Ohio
    The Matrix series uses a whole different realm to upload to the unit, it requires another cable which I got off Ebay and you have to download the Humminbird PC to your computer the cable plugs into the Usb port of your computer then the other plugs into the head unit and then you have a power cable that supplies power via a 9 volt battery, it eats up power in a hurry so I converted mine to 12 volts and use one of those power packs to power the head unit, it's pretty involved when you first start but then you get used to the routine, I have the Matrix 67 unit, great unit and it has gotten better with each upgrade. This weekend I'll upgrade my unit to the 3.5version.

The SD card slot located on top of the unit is used for Navonics cards and SD cards where you want to record screen shots. We have had our unit since 2005, Humminbird sent it to Lynn when she caught her 88# Blue at a tournament in 2005, I run it along with a Lowrance 111HD unit. seems I use the Bird more than the Lowrance as it has the Tri transducer looks down and out both sides.

Doc

7. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Thanks Doc, guess I assumed all of the Humminbirds updated the same way. Hopefully your tip will solve the problem!

8. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Doc I would have thought the 97 would have used the SD card to update. Learn something new every day.
    May look into the matrix 97 for the front of the new boat.
    Pete