Upgrading Cast Nets

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by Tarheel, May 8, 2006.

1. Tarheel

Tarheel New Member

State:
    NC
    I currently have a BPS cheapy $20 6 foot radius cast net and I am ready to move to a bigger one. I am thinking 8 foot? The BPS one has served me well for a couple of years, so really don't think I see a need to move to a high dollar net...... however, I do have problems catching bait in the colder months.

Any suggestions?

2. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Try Casting A 8' Net First If You Can It Is Harder For Some Then A 6' That 2 More Feet Makes A Differents.

3. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    Tarheel if you live close to a west marine go by and they will teach you how to throw one....I never even picked up one before but went into west marine and told them I would by the best cast net they sold if they would teach me how to throw one well 15 minutes later i was throwing it like an old pro....

I bought an 8' 3/8 mesh.

I loved it so much i left the store and drove to falls lake to try it out...caught bait the third cast....

4. Tarheel

Tarheel New Member

State:
    NC
    Closest one is probably almost 2 hours away. I can throw my 6' one ok now, but I would like to get a bigger net for those times when bait is harder to find. Just wondering if when I get to the 8' if the cheap one is still the best to get or should I up the ante and splurge for a more expensive one. IF so, which one?

5. greggofish

greggofish New Member

State:
    Holly Springs, NC
    There are several ways to throw a net. All of them are good but here is the easiest I have found:

http://www.calusa.com/watchvideo.cfm?name=notrequired

Go to part 3 and watch that a few times. It takes a little practice but it works great. I throw my 8 and 10 foot nets with this method. I have even thrown a 5 and 6 footer that way and it worked great as well.

Good luck and keep it off the stumps.

6. Catmaster

Catmaster New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    Man I think it would be so hard to cast that thing. I have thrown a 6' once and I could hardly do that. That would be a good article/diagram. How to Throw a 6-8' cast net.

7. Tarheel

Tarheel New Member

State:
    NC
    Good Video. I am going to try that method next time.

8. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    Man that dudes gonna get lead poising putting those weights in his mouth LOL!!!

Instaed of putting that lead in your mouth I put mine on my shoulder then I take my first bite (about 1/4 of the net and then rotate and throw and like i said previously it works for me, and in about 3-4 throws I had complete openings....but that works for me it may not work for everyone...

Note my way is pretty messy and you get pretty wet but I have learned to live with it if it catches bait...

9. joe0580

joe0580 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    you know he dosent have lead head that is me lol. smaller nets are easier to throw. john you have seen me throw my small one and it does take practice. i can throw a 20 footer with a little help but does take a lot out of a guy. i like something in the 9 to 12 foot range with at least a pound and 1/2 per foot. sinls fast and gets those fast baits quick. but be careful. he john going to nuese this weekend on friday with jason. think you can come.

10. Fishing Fred

Fishing Fred New Member

State:
    Lillington, N.C
    Tried a 6 foot yesterday afternoon with one inch mesh. Didn't have as many weights on the lead line as the smaller mesh and sinks super fast. Caught a mess of shad very quick. Only gilled a couple of small bream . Have been using a five foot easy throw ( with ring ) and caught on to this one easy. Cost somewhere around $40.00 . Larger mesh, faster sinking, to me better for deep water or current.

11. Itzakeeper

Itzakeeper New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    thanks for the links guys ..............