Upgrading abus?

Discussion in 'Reel Repair and Upgrades' started by james, May 21, 2020 at 4:06 AM.

1. james

james Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    I have a rather large stock pile of abus I've collected an inherited over the years I'm fairly confident with breaking them completely down cleaning an replacing worn out parts with parts from other donor reels but never really given much thought to doing any upgrades from the factory internals I'm curious if these super tune kits, bearing or levelwind upgrades are really worth it I dont bank fish so im not really looking for upgrading for long distance casting anyone got any input or knowledge on upgrades

2. philly35

philly35 Well-Known Member

State:
    iowa
    Name:
    Philip
    IMO, it’s not really worth it. A clean and properly lubed reel will perform way better than a dirty one. Cleaning and lubing is a great upgrade. You might be able to cast just a little further, or have a tighter drag is all. Many people think upgrading is so great because they send in their dirty reels that don’t cast worth a crap anymore, and when they get them back, they can cast twice as far. I can cast twice as far just by cleaning and lubing them.

zachM54 likes this.

3. twaskom

twaskom Moderator Staff Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    I agree that cleaning and applying proper lubrication is the most important thing that needs to be done. And I also agree that if you are not needing the longest casts you can get, many of the upgrades won't be very useful to you.

I made two upgrades to all my reels. I went with Smooth Drag Disks. Not at all to add drag capability but for just what it says. A smooth drag. Cost is about $9 per reel. The second upgrade is adding a power handle to all my reels. There is absolutely no need for this (approximately $20) change. I will call it a change instead of an upgrade since it is more a preference than an upgrade.

That is my two cents for upgrades. But is remains a personal choice.

4. Khh27

Khh27 Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Name:
    Kyle harlan
    I would also just clean them. Only replace Any broken or warn out parts. And if anything just replace the drag washers

JByrd and Nuclear Bill like this.
  5. hurt locker

hurt locker Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania/Ohio
    Name:
    Mike
    I like my upgraded Abus very much. They run like very fine tuned watches. Specially the 5500 and 6500 2 speeds. Dual bearing level winds. bearing cog wheel, ceramic pawls and hand cut leather drag plates with Cal's grease and power handles.
    Also have several 4601 and 5601 Lefthanded Walleye Jigging reels that I have had for 15 years that are still great to fish with. All bought used and repaired and upgraded. The 5601c4's even came with factory clickers.

eastforker and Nuclear Bill like this.
  6. D schuerenberg

D schuerenberg Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Missouri. Matthews
    Name:
    Denzil Denny
  7. eastforker

eastforker Well-Known Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Stacee
    I like the ceramic pawls they seem to last longer than the metal pawl for me.

hurt locker and Nuclear Bill like this.
  8. james

james Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    What brand of upgraded drag disk are yall using? I've only used random cheap ones off ebay never really put any thought into spending little more on nicer ones. I just completely broke down one of my 6500 today that started getting little rough sounding found the gears had gotten little corrosion built up on them used some compound an a brush wheel on my dremel got all the teeth shiney cleaned, lubed an oiled everything cast like a brand new one an no more screaming not sure upgrading bearings an all is worth it to me but the drag I wouldn't mind stepping up little from factory

9. 1gr8bldr

1gr8bldr Active Member

State:
    north carolina
    Name:
    Marty
    I retired many older reels due to their age and wanting the pro rocket left hand side spool tension. But eventually went back and serviced all these reels. They are like new now. I'm surprised that they compare equally to the new reels

james likes this.
  10. twaskom

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    Herbhome and james like this.
  11. twaskom

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    I also use Cal's drag disk grease. Drag disk grease is not something you have to use. You can use the disks dry. And you can start with them dry and add a drag grease at a later time. But I feel it makes the drag system smoother so I opted to go with it.

Cal"s is not the only maker of drag disk grease. I ordered mine on eBay and got just a small tub of it (about a teaspoon) because you use just a slight amount. They say to use just enough to be able to make a finger print in. That is not much. You can use it as your reel grease for the gears also but I don't.

12. Brackish*Water

Brackish*Water Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    Name:
    Wesley
    you can find videos on youtube where poeple do stuff and they can make the spool spin for a long time

13. james

james Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    I've never heard of drag grease I always use a Qtip with a tiny drop of motor oil just enough to give the slightest coating my grandfather always did it that way an my father but always motor oil I'm sure just the old redneck before all these new oils an greases came out thanks for the tips I've ordered some upgraded bearings, levelwind upgrade with bearing an pawl, an the upgraded cog gear for one of my reels still need to get the drags curiosity got the best of me decided I needed a decked out abu for some reason

Nuclear Bill likes this.
  14. 1gr8bldr

1gr8bldr Active Member

State:
    north carolina
    Name:
    Marty
    When your done with the upgrade, give us a assessment

Nuclear Bill likes this.