Upgrades to an old boat

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by ka_c4_boom, Apr 3, 2007.

1. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    i have a 16' commercial river jon 1983 model and have plans to rebuild it soon as i get the chance im getting it checked out by a guy who does welding profesionally he is also retired navy and claims to know boats inside and out and told me he would like to work on it after hours in his shop a little here and there till i get all done which is good for me and my wallet :lol: heres what i have in mind for the work i want done plus i plan on adding more floatation to the floor and front deck . the additions i want will most likely slow me down some but should make the old boat a little stronger , i have a 40hp mariner on board now which runs up to 32mph but iv figured out speed is not every thing , comfort is .

what do yall think is it worth it or should i sell what i got and use the money for a down payment and get another ?

Attached Files:

2. airforceben

airforceben New Member

State:
    california
    good plans...but id sell it and upgrade

3. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    IMO There is a whole lot to say for "Paid For". I hate to owe for anything, especially "toys".

Plans look good. If the hull checks out and she meets your needs, I 'd go for it and bank the "new boat" payments.

4. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    Darn Charles,
    I am not sure where you fish but it sounds like you have a super fishing rig right in your hands. Even if you upgrade to a new boat you would be doing somethings to it. If it was mine I'd redo the one I have and use it. It would be cheaper and by the way I am looking for one about like you have for catfishing and getting out of my bigger nicer boat.
    Bill

5. last chance

last chance New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Paid for, is the best opption I can think of to have on a boat. IMHO you are going in the right direction. You will have a good rig and enjoy it a lot more.

6. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Charles,
    I think you need more rod holders; I only see 20:tounge_out: :tounge_out: ...W

7. Koon

Koon New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    IMO its paid for... best of all, if you customize it, you get the boat decked out the way YOU want it. I upgraded from a 16'jon to a 20' pontoon for only one reason.... more space. if you are happy with 16' and it suits your style of fishing... stick with it. You sure will be ables to go places I can't. Its a give and take kind of thing.... just what ever works best for you. Good luck.

8. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
    Metalman, looks to be 24 rod holders! (4 on transom).
    I been known to tangle 2 or 4 rods on river here, cant imagine how id manage all those.
    Paid for is way to go to me, esp fishing the river with all the wear and tear from it.
    River fishing boat to me is about functionality not style. If you can invest a little and make your current boat work the way you need then it makes sense.
    More speed and bigger boat are nice, but do cost more in every way plus a motor/boat change brings uncertainty- even if its new. Could mean the dreaded "DOWN TIME"!

Having said that, I do love my Sea Ark 18 w/ 4 stroke 90merc, but cant say its caught me more fish.

Myself I like using new composites like black surface textured HDPE for areas where you might otherwise use aluminum tread plate (floor,boxes,etc). Less costly and may work better (?). I fabricate and use both at work and on my rig - just a thought.

...and like Porboy says you will be changing a new boat anyway to changing needs.

9. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Charles your upgrade plans look great. Looks like you have put a lot of thought into it. I think you are making a good decision. Having one the way you want it and not going in debt is the correct answer. Good Luck and keep us updated.:lol:

10. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    Hey onlyriverfish, James tell us more about the HDPE. I have not used it and I
    hate to play dumb but I don't know a thing about it or even where to buy it.
    But it sounds good and I am always ready to learn something new.
    Thanks
    Bill

11. waterwalker

waterwalker New Member

State:
    Louisville Ohio
    Looks like a good layout, you can save a ton of money doing yourself and in the end, you will know what you have. I bought a new boat in 2000, a nice outfit but still had to put a bunch more money into it to get it the way I liked.

12. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
  13. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    yeah i was thinking of doing it myself , infact i bought some 100$ braizing rods and was planning to do it soon as i can afford the metal

14. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Charles, looks like a good plan for your boat.

Only thing left to do now is to "Get 'er done!!!!!"

15. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
    HDPE (high-density polyethylene) we typ. see used for cutting boards but is used MANY other places anywhere extreme wear from rubbing would otherwise cause rapid wear (truck beds, industrial parts of all kinds,etc..) Its easily cut and fabricated using std woodworking tools to cut, route, etc.
    I use it for many of my heavy machine bases where I want to slide the machine around on the floor easily as well as many jigs using the stuff. I have used it for counter tops where extreme durability is needed as this stuff is impervious to liquid, grease, etc. Smack it with a hammer and as hard as ya want and wont hurt it.

In my boat i used it for a rear detachable deck cover and as a housing for my custom driving lights and on trailer rub bars for guiding boat on as well as many other little things around boat.

Would it work as a flooring in the boat? Yes- but a concern might be that it could be slick if ice covered (but so would anything else i suppose). Is it better than alum tread? factors to consider:
    • can weld (TIG) alum to boat -have to screw HDPE.
    • HDPE less costly and easier fabricated.
    • Alum have to be painted to loose the reflective sun on shinny sheet -HDPE black textured is solid black (or whatever color ya want).
    • What fabrication capability/resources does person have available to them might influence which to use.
    I use a local machine shop who has large expensive machines to do some pretty cool stuff on projects like roll forming sheets and seams that I cannot do effectively and he treats me fair so that might influence what I use when and where.

I have recently started using a glue that is made for this stuff which I buy in a caulk gun (std tube) which requires a simple blow torch "flash" to each surface of HDPE to be joined then apply glue and a bond is formed (Otherwise nothing sticks to this stuff).
    The ability to glue parts together will prob further increase my usage of this stuff even more as HPPE doesnt screw to itself well, its better to screw thru it to something that holds screw good.

HDPE is just a great composite product for many uses esp. outdoors where wood will just not last. I know a machinist in my area who does only HDPE fabrication for a living with his CNC and actually built an entire boat from HDPE that he showed me a few years ago. Said it was online somewhere I believe.
    The boat is heavy though. Not like it is the thing to do, but forward looking I can believe that future boat hulls may be skinned with a similar material.
    Who knows.

Anyone not familar with HDPE could go to local plastic distributors and see sheets and also check sign companies as they use the multicolored sheets for signage.

16. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    charles,

i've seen both sides of the coin. i spent all last summer re-building an old boat with one of my fishing partners. i have to say the work was half the fun it took time elbow grease and beer, but we got it just perfect for him. however, i also just bought a brand new boat myself about a month ago and i love it to death. it all just depends on the person. if you are good with your hands then you have a perfectly good paid for boat. and if you ever want a new one, you can sell it later.

j.d.

17. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
    I bought my Sea Ark slightly used from a dealer and he had put a 3/4in cca treated wood floor in which I havent changed yet, but will someday if it ever rots or have time to kill (right!). Works for me at this point.
    The new ones I see offer an alum floor model. Alum is better than wood in all reguards for sure-lighter, more durable, easy cleaning, etc..., but wonder is it "noisy".
    I may redo mine with HDPE some day I dont know-prob 1/2 inch black textured . Figure it would cost less, be quieter and transfer less cold than alum. and no paint ever needed. I woiuld definitly rivet with quality rivets-not the std type and use a pneumatic rivet gun so vibration wouldnt loosen hold. There are alot of high quality rivot options at specialty fastening companies that are worth the extra cost imo.
    Question I dont know answer to is "expansion" of HD compared to the aluminum has to be considered when firmly attaching to boat hull. Dont figure it a problem, but has to be considered.

Noise, weight, cleanability, cost and heat/cool transferto all factor in flooring choices. I have had problems using carpet in front of boat last few years holding sand and blowing back in face from sandbars using throw net and that has changed my opinion of carpet being in my boat. It was never a factor years ago when I fished mostly lakes so everone has diffedrent needs they require.

18. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    the 18' g3 center console deluxe i just bought came with that fancy vinyll lined floor. that was one of the selling points for me, easy to clean dont burn feet and absorbs some shock from the aluminum hull. i bet it'd be pretty reasonable to do yourself though.
    i also know a guy with sprayed in rhino lining in the floor of his boat and he loves it.

j.d.

19. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    This HDPE has me interested.

A couple few questions if I may,

How thick does it come?
    How stiff is it?
    Will it discolor in the sun?
    And the biggy, how does it compare in price?

20. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    lawrence scroll back up to post #12 i put a link in that shows a few things like size , thickness , color it seems to be on the up and up . but im sure it will fade in color a little , when i worked at texas instruments a few years ago i machined this same material for small parts trays it is very durable and hard to break but im not sure how it would work as a boat deck , im not that experienced with it