Upgrade from 1 to 3 bearings?

Discussion in 'Reel Repair and Upgrades' started by Chicago, May 28, 2009.

1. Chicago

Chicago New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I read the great post about upgrading bushings to bearings below. On another thread there was mention of upgrading the 7000i to match the 7000iCS Pro Rocket by upgrading the 7000i from 1 to 3 bearings (which is the major difference between them, among others)

First, is that possible?

And if so, can anybody explain how it is done?

2. Ken D

Ken D New Member

State:
    B.C. (CAD)
    Hi. All you have to do is remove both end caps, on the sideplates, pull the bushings, and replace with ball bearings. They are 3 x 10 x 4.

Aftermarket ball bearings range in price from 95 cents to over 10.00, depending on where you get them from, and which set of specs they meet.

If you do a search on yahoo or where it is you go, for 3 x 10 x 4 metric bearings, Many sources will appear.

The LH bushing is held with a mini-clip, don't lose it. The RH bushing free floats. (assuming a rh crank reel)

3. Chicago

Chicago New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Ken D. That's for replacing bushings with bearings. I'm wondering about replacing 1 bearing with 3 bearings. The current Abu Garcia red 7000i has a listed feature of 1 stainless bearing, while the 7000iCS pro rocket has a listed feature of 3 stainless bearings.

Thus, replacing the 1 bearing for 3 bearings would essentially upgrade the 7000i to a 7000iCS (which is $70 more expensive at .................), minus 1 or 2 minor remaining differences.

I still gave ya a thanks Ken D :big_smile:. Let me know if you have an idea about the replacement I'm talking about.

4. Ken D

Ken D New Member

State:
    B.C. (CAD)
    Hi, Chi,,,,, I'll open the schematics, compare, and get back. Best, KD

5. Ken D

Ken D New Member

State:
    B.C. (CAD)
    Hi, Chi....You want to take the 7red i to pro rocket/C3 specs. Says so above in your post. the big diff between the Pro rocket, (and the iC3) is 20 dollars and sideplate covers. The rocket is black, and the C3 is silver.

My post above takes you to where you want to be: get 3 bearings in a red i.
    The C3 and the Rocket have 3 bearings....2 on the axle ends, and one instant anti-reverse in the sideplate.

To arrive at 3 bearings in the red i, as I posted earlier: pull the bushings and add the bb's. You can put full blown ceramic, hybrid ceramic, stainless, or plain ordinary hi chrome 52100 alloy. 3 x 10 x 4.

The other major diff between the reds, and the rest of the pack is the drag array. The reds use a 5-drag array of common Abu washers, while the rest use 3 drags of the higher end HT-100 matrix, called "carbontex" by Abu.

Hope this clears things. Best, KD.

6. Chicago

Chicago New Member

State:
    Virginia
    KD,

Thanks for the response. I will open up the 7000i when it gets here and look to replace the bushings. For some reason I thought Abu Garcia reels either had bushings or bearings. From what you described, it sounds like the 7000i has both, and upgrading it still simply requires replacing the bushings for bearings. Is that a fair interpretation?

If so, is the tutorial provided by Sticky instructive for me: "How to Upgrade Abu Bushings to Bearings" (listed in 4 above this thread). I'm a visual learner so I hope so :smile2: !!!!

Thanks buddy