Updates on Johnny Hudson (Gators Brother)

Discussion in 'Prayer Request' started by teaysvalleyguy, May 23, 2007.

1. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    There are many members on here that I am sure not getting the emails daily that many of us are reguarding the condition of Johnny.

Wally has been posting and so have a few others. I figured a thread dedicated to his daily updates would be great for all members.

Here is the last update as of tonight.

The vascath (dialysis catheter) never would work last night. So today, it's being replaced on the opposite side of Johnny's chest. There was an ultrasound of sorts done today to look at the vein the catheter is in. Apparently, there is a blood clot above the catheter which made it not function well.

Johnny also had an echo cardiogram done today but I don't know the results of it yet.

Tomorrow, Dr. Bynoe and Dr. Fann plan to take Johnny to the OR to look around in his belly and maybe close the skin.

Pray for Johnny. He has so many hurdles yet to cross. As a famiy, we are scared. But together, we want to face this and help Johnny over his hurdles. Keep our doctors in your prayers too!

2. teaysvalleyguy

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Here is the address if anyone would like to get a card out to him. I am sure it is a spirit lifter to get cards showing that they are being prayed for.

Johnny Hudson
    Patient at
    Palmetto Health Richland
    6 Medical Park
    Columbia SC

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks for the update. Still Praying in So. Illinois for all to go well and a quick recovery. God Bless.

4. laddybug38663

laddybug38663 New Member

State:
    ms.
    thanks for up date we are still praying for him and the whole family are in our prayers i no how hard this must be for all of you right now and sometimes our spirit gets low at times like this but i no with all the prayers and faith that he will be ok god is on his side and if roger and i can do anything to help you during this time please don't hestitate to ask we have the church praying also for him and family

5. teaysvalleyguy

State:
    GC, OHIO
    There are no updates for today yet, as soon as I get one I'll copy and post. Thanks everyone for the Prayers, I am sure Gator and Johnnys family appreciate it.

6. teaysvalleyguy

State:
    GC, OHIO
    In surgery yesterday, Dr. Bynoe had to remove another section of Johnny's small bowel. He also had to remove a part of the large bowel. The plan is to go back on Friday and look.

Dr. Tribble and Dr. Bynoe are searching for answers as to why Johnny is having this problem. A CT Scan last night showed that Johnny has good blood flow to the bowel from the aorta.

Before the results of the CT Scan, Dr. Tribble made it very clear that we had to fix what he thought was a blood flow problem. He described the procedure and the risks/benefits to me. He was so sincere and so concerned.

A little while later, Dr. Ford, a friend of Johnny's from the Emergency Department, came by to pray with us. I called my family and let Johnny's parents know the situation. When Dr. Ford prayed, he specifically prayed for the blood vessels. I couldn't help but think that we had divine intervention when the phone in Johnny's room rang about an hour later with Dr. Tribble saying the vessels were open, after he had been so sure it was the problem.

Ask God to guide our doctors, lead them to the source of this problem.

7. teaysvalleyguy

State:
    GC, OHIO
    You get to a point, after a day like yesterday, that the hurt you feel can't get any deeper and the fear you feel can't get any stronger. At that point, you say, "OK, where do we go from here?" and you start walking.

Yesterday, Dr. Bynoe told me the worst possible news about Johnny's bowel. Then last night, Dr. Tribble told me even more bad news and told me how bad it really was. Later in the night, he thought it was just a tiny bit better but still had so many questions and no answers as to why this was happening to Johnny's bowel.

I've said from the start that we need all bright minds thinking for Johnny's benefit. There was some uncertainty today among the doctors about what was going on with him. This morning, the doctors put thier heads together and decided to go ahead with a procedure to look for blockage in the arteries that feed blood to the bowel. They found a problem and worked to solve it. They were able to restore flow to the bowel.

We'll know how successful it is once Dr. Bynoe goes back in to look on Friday. But today's procedure in and of itself was a baby step in the right direction. It was a step we desparately needed.

Tonight, he looks good for all that he's been through. I'm home a little early (it's 9:40) and I plan to rest tonight.

The gratitude you feel can't get any more overwhelming once you've been as low as you believe you can go and then something positive happens. I'm so thankful to our doctors for fighting so hard. I'm so thankful for our nurses for maintaining so long. And I'm so thankful to God that he hears me even when I am afraid, when I am weak and when I feel so unworthy of his gifts.

8. teaysvalleyguy

State:
    GC, OHIO
    The surgery went OK today. The work that Dr. Bynoe did on Wednesday is still holding and the bowel looked good. The doctors brought an ileostomy out to the surface. If all goes well, this will be temporary (but will be there for quite some time.)

Dr. Reight came out to talk to me and though he was glad that today went well, he was also cautious about being too excited. We just have to take baby steps and today was another baby step in a more positive direction.

Thank you all for your prayers. Today, right before Johnny left for the OR, I couldn't pray a long beautiful prayer. I just blessed him in Jesus name and told God that I've already asked Him for what I want and what I need. Now I just have to trust.

9. jbarnes17

jbarnes17 New Member

State:
    Commerce, Oklahoma
    thanks for the update tea.

10. teaysvalleyguy

State:
    GC, OHIO
    It's early and I don't have a lot to update. I do know that Johnny's dialysis catheter is not working and is going to be replaced...again. He is a rare bird in that his blood pressure is better when he is on the CRRT machine. Most people are the opposite. So since the dialysis had to be stopped, he needed a medication called Levofed to keep his blood pressure up. Once dialysis is started back today, his nurse expects to be able to stop the levofed.

Dr. Bynoe is going to take Johnny back to the OR tomorrow to look at his bowel. I am really hoping for a boring weekend with no big changes.

Today is 5 weeks since Johnny became sick. I don't know exactly where stregnth comes from. I don't know how much God thinks I can handle. But I'm hoping that he is close to being content with my abilities! :)

I am sure continued prayers are appreciated.

11. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Thanks for keeping the "BOC Family" informed Tea. I am subscribed and getting these updates and am still keeping Johnny,Darlene,Jim(Gator) and all the family and friends in my Thoughts and Prayers!
    God has already worked Great Miracles and I have faith he'll continue to do so.
    God Bless!!!

12. teaysvalleyguy

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Just a couple of updates:

We aren't going to surgery on Sunday as of right now. Dr. Bynoe wants to wait until Monday and let Johnny have a restful weekend with the dialysis running constantly.

Today he's rested but still needed just a tiny dose of Levofed to keep a strong blood pressure.

Pray for the anastamosis at the duodenum. That is the critical point in his bowel that needs to work and needs to heal well.

13. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Prayers are sent from Beebe

14. teaysvalleyguy

State:
    GC, OHIO
    As I was driving into the hospital this morning, I was flipping channels on the radio to find something I could tolerate listening to in my anxiety-filled state of mind. I scrolled by some Hip-Hop, some Blues, and some hard rock. I heard a preacher going on about Corinthians and kept hitting the seek button. Then I decided to go back.

The man was talking about when Paul was talking to the church at Corinth. He was reading from the Word. He said, "Paul told the church that God had sent a message.

"I was here when you were afraid. I was here when you were weak. I was here when you were trembling."

The preacher went on reading and talking about the troubles the Corinthians had while relating them to our modern day life.

As he read, he said, "We are not expected to be joyful while we go through our troubles, but we should be JOYFUL IN THE ANTICIPATION OF OUR MIRACLE."

Johnny looks so good today. He kidneys are removing a lot of fluid from him. He is still getting the dialysis to clean his blood. His blood pressure is good and he is still on the medication to keep it up. He is resting. His drains all have the right color fluids in them. His ileostomy stoma looks good. Of course, he's still on the ventilator.

He was awake for a little while when I was in the room. I told him about some of the problems he's had. He shook his head that he understood.

Plan is to go to OR tomorrow. Keep anticipating our miracle. I get scared. I tremble. But I do believe in healing.

There is no reason Johnny can't receive the very same miracle of healing that I have witnessed over and over in 15 years as a nurse. Pray for our doctors, ask God to be in the OR tomorrow. Ask him to guide Dr. Bynoe, Dr. Fann, and Dr. Reight. Ask him to guide thier minds, their hands, and their choices while they make decisions for Johnny tomorrow.

Be joyful in the anticipation of our miracle.

15. teaysvalleyguy

State:
    GC, OHIO
    There was a leak at the anastamosis today when Dr. Bynoe went into surgery with Johnny. He patched the problem and was content that the drains that are already in place will help protect the area. He loosely closed the skin on Johnny's belly. The bowel looks ok and Dr. Bynoe said it appears the blood flow is better. The ostomy looks good to me. If he has a need to go back in, it won't be hard to get back in since the skin is only loosely closed.

Having the skin closed can help Johnny to get rid of more excess fluid (he's still pretty swollen all over.) It also helps him to heal all over because with a big open wound, you lose protien quickly. You have to have protien to heal.

I like what one of my friends at work said today. She's catholic and said that her priest talked about miracles on Saturday when she went to mass. He talked about how "We believe in miracles...we always have...that's what it's all about!"

Great and mighty miracles are fine. But we're getting our blessing one small reassuring miracle at a time.

Now, I'm taking a NAP! I'm exhausted and my attitude is much better when I rest than when I don't. (Johnny's nurses will be glad I've had a nap:>)

16. teaysvalleyguy

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Johnny had a pretty good night. There aren't any big plans yet except that his dialysis catheter is clogged again since about 3 am.

Dr. Keane, the kidney guy, told me yesterday that if Johnny's creatinine clearance ( a 12 or 24 hour urine collection test) resulted at 20, we could stop the dialysis. A month ago, creatinine clearance was 5. Yesterday it was 14. So we are making progress!

Carrie, Johnny's nurse last night, said he was awake and alert a good part of the night. He denied being in pain. He answered yes/no questions and moved his hands to motion for what he needed.

Our son from Texas, Adam, came in last night. His flight was delayed and he didn't get here until 3 AM. Adam graduated from high school yesterday.

I'll update later today. My friend, Tara, told me yesterday that she didn't know how I kept this webpage up. The fact is, it's the only routine thing I do everyday (well besides the necessities like bathing and eating). So I enjoy doing it. It helps me focus too. When I'm worried or weary, I come to the website and I look at what we've gone through and I know we'll get through whatever the current crisis might be.

You are all a source of stregnth for me. When Johnny is awake and off the ventilator, there will be a day when it all seems too much for him too. So your words and encouragement will mean just as much to him.

We love you all! Darlene

17. teaysvalleyguy

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Well, he has a leak again. Dr. Bynoe and Dr. Morrison are going to leave it alone and hope it seals on it's on. This just means we're in for a longer road than we had hoped.

The dialysis catheter is going to be changed at about 3. We are beginning the vent wean and maybe he'll get extubated in the next couple of days.

Adam is here to visit until Thursday evening. I'm hoping Johnny will be weaned by then.

18. STUMPKNOCKER

STUMPKNOCKER New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Thanks for the updates, im praying

19. teaysvalleyguy

State:
    GC, OHIO
    We're trying to wean the vent. Dr. Morrison is being very aggressive with it and so far, Johnny is tolerating it well. He looks good and he's more alert. He's ready to communicate and getting frustrated that we can't figure out what he's trying to say.

I told him that all those times I said I could read his mind...I was not telling the truth!

Thanks for your continued prayers and well wishes!

20. teaysvalleyguy

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Johnny is extubated. Dr. Bynoe called me at 5pm tonight to tell me. I was on my way back to the hospital when he called. Dr. Morrison aggressively moved Johnny through the stages today to get him off the ventilator. Then this afternoon, Johnny really wanted the tube out so they decided to go ahead and do it. Dr. Bynoe said he felt like we had made the right choices about Johnny's belly or he wouldn't be tolerating this change so well.

He's doing really good off the vent. Adam got to spend some time with him tonight visiting and talking.

At 9pm, Johnny was sitting up in bed listening to music and watching an episode of Scrubs on Adam's IPOD.

I just have to say again how much I appreciate our doctors. Dr. Bynoe genuinely cares about Johnny and me. He wants so much to fix what's broken. Dr. Morrison has been a constance source of solid information and has been a friend to me since this began. Dr. Fann, he's Robin to Dr. Bynoe's Batman. Then there's Dr. Reight. He has such a big heart. Dr. Tribble, honest and hopeful from the very first day, has been so reassuring even when I felt unsure.

What a blessing to have doctors who know they are tools used by God. What a comfort to have doctors who know you and care about you. What a gift to have friends like these!