Update to Winter Fishing, Catfish colors

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Pfunk, Dec 17, 2007.

1. Pfunk

Pfunk New Member

State:
    Lake Fork - Texas
    Just wanted to let everyone that assisted me know that i had MUCH better luck last week than i did before i posted my 'new to winter fishing' thread.

I learned a lot from throwing ideas around with you guys, and for that i thank you all..

Just in case anyone is interested i'm going to explain what i did different this last week, that I feel led to better fishing..

I started at 8 AM last Friday morning, and even though I couldn’t see the hand in front of my face, it was an absolutely beautiful morning.

I had the entire lake to myself, and started fishing in the main lake, by a 50 ft tree that was standing in about 35 ft water, next to a very drastic 30 ft drop off. (This is much deeper than what I was fishing in the prior weeks.)

I didn’t have much luck at first, but after about an hour they started biting. This was huge for me because I had tried so much the prior weeks, only landing one fish the entire time. So after the first bite, I no longer felt the bitter cold wind, and soft freezing rain.

Anyway I caught 4 nice ones ranging from 16 –17 inches in about 2 hrs. Then I moved to a point that had a massive tree standing on a good sized drop off, in about 28 ft deep water. And again there I had pulled in another 4 very nice eaters (I lost 2 so I should have had 6). So I totaled 8 fish in about 4 hrs time, much better than before…..

One thing I noticed is that the fish I was catching, all Blue Cats, had a slightly different color than the ones I’m use to seeing (lighter, almost white).

The only thing I can think of is either; some catfish will stay in deeper water, and do not feed in shallow waters like the ones I’m use to catching, or their colors change when the water temp drops.

Does anyone know how far catfish migrate in there lifetimes?

If they stay in the same areas, this means I can fish my same summer spots, but just go deeper from the usual.

Also, do catfish get the benz from being dredged up from deep water?

2. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I've always heard they stay deeper in the winter, although in the spring you can catch them shallow as they kind of move to the shallower, warmer water.

Dunno about the color, I've read posts on here that their colors get darker with less oxygenated water. Cold water holds more O2 than warm, so maybe it's that. Or maybe they just get lighter colored from being deeper.

I don't know if they get the bends the same way people do (nitrogen bubbles forming in the blood) but their air bladders and/or stomachs will swell due to the pressure change. Never caught any deep enough to have to worry about it. Glad you got into 'em. Good Luck!

Branden

3. Pfunk

Pfunk New Member

State:
    Lake Fork - Texas
    Thanks BKS. The reason i was asking about the benz, is i would hate to waste a life/meal throwing one back, and have him die soon after.
    Someone told me that when crappie get the benz their air bag will pop out thru there mouth. Not sure if this is true or not or if it applies to catfish at all.
    I'm new to deep water catfish hunting, and need to find out so i dont waste any.

4. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Same thing for cats, their bladder comes out their mouth. Lots of posts on it, you might check the BOC library. Sorry I can't be more help but the MO river where I fish just isn't deep enough for it to be an issue.

5. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I have seen a 50+ beautiful bluecat dead floating down the river with the sac coming out of his gills....That really sucked:sad2:

6. Pfunk

Pfunk New Member

State:
    Lake Fork - Texas
    :crazy:

That's sad. What a waste... I guess it was from people throwing them back?

7. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Pfunk, there's a lot of info in the library about how to "burp" a catfish and keep that from happening. J.W.(Dreadnaught) posted one of the best explanations I've seen on how to do it.

8. Pfunk

Pfunk New Member

State:
    Lake Fork - Texas
    Now thats interesting, i'll have a look..

Thanks man...

9. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    If you shoot J.W. a PM he can probably point you to the post or explain it qucker than you can find the post. Good Luck!

Branden

10. Pfunk

Pfunk New Member

State:
    Lake Fork - Texas
  11. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    I'd like to read that too. How deep of water are we talking here? 30, 50, 70 feet and they need to be burped?