Update to the boat club issue I posted a month ago

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by scwolf, Apr 25, 2009.

1. scwolf

scwolf Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Sorry I've been so long in posting an update, but I have been back and forth on the phone with the marina owners. A short recap, this was when I took the boat out and it broke down on me, then when the owner was coming to tow us he hit a stump in his marina and broke the foot on his boat and now wants me to pay for the foot.

Update: Had the last phone call with the owner and now they are saying he tore the lower unit and crack the upper, so the whole motor is shot basically. They still say I should be responsible for part of the damage he caused while coming out to get me. Of course I stand firm that I am not responsible in anyway for him hitting a stump in the boat he was driving. They have decided that the remainder of the balance on the money I payed down will go towards the repairs, and obviously my boat club membership is discontinued. A big surprise is a month and a half later now I am hearing that I am being blamed in part for a scorched piston on the boat I was driving for running it out of gas( gas gauge wasn't working and was only 5 miles from the landing, so didn't think about gas until boat shut down, then put some in and wouldn't crank and run).
    I am not going to publicly post the Marina name on this post, but if anyone is traveling to the lakes or uses Marinas shoot me a pm with email address and I will give you the name of the marina, then you can decide if you would want to use them. I won't say not to, but as I told the owner, due to my experience, I will never set foot on their property unless I have a lawyer.

2. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Thanks for the update. I don't blame you for standing firm, they seem to be unjust in blaming you since the owner should know to dodge stumps.

3. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Really preposterous that they would think that. Sounds like they are just crying sour grapes becaue THEY screwed up. I wouldn't pay them one bit of attention. Also, I wouldn't hesitate to post their name anywhere you choose. Truth certainly isn't slander! Shoddy business ethics SHOULD be posted to forewarn others before they mess with them.

Bill in SC

4. Robbie Norton

Robbie Norton New Member

State:
    Florence S.C
    Way to go robbie i wouldn't let them guys try to give you the shaf , you dont haft to pay for something that he broke' that guy is mest up in the head.

5. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    Really don't think he has a leg to stand on. He's running a business and thats the price of doing business. He also assumes responsibility and the burden. If you did something maliciously, then that might be something else, but you didn't.

6. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Running an engine out of fuel won't burn a piston, or there would be an awful lot of ruined engines out there; although running one with the wrong fuel, or a lean mixture certainly can, over time. :confused2:

7. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    I feel that if you rented a boat from him, he should of taken the setps to check over the boat before you left, including filling the tank and making sure the gauge worked. When you rent a car they fill it up and you bring it back filled up, they check over the car to make sure nothing is wrong and do the same when you bring it back. If the car breaks down they send a wercker and you get another car. The fact that he hit a stump coming to get you, Thats his problem, just like if I hit one on my boat. He is a business and should have insurance to cover that. Its not your fault. Id call the BBB and file a complaint.

8. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I think you SHOULD go public with the name of the baot club, so as to protect other boaters. :wink:

9. scwolf

scwolf Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Tommy I agree with the part you said about running out of gas. I have run my boats out of gas a few times and never had a problem, now maybe he didn't have oil in it who knows, all I know was it was a shock to hear that after over a month of the incident taking place. I think he was trying to make a scape goat for taking the remainder of my money, which was a substantial amount.

I have tried to state the facts of this event as they happened, and on that note I will say that from my experience I will never set foot on the property again, but if people choose to use him that is their business.

The Marina is: Lakeside Marina and boat club, it is located on Lake Marion on the upper end towards 95

This is the same place that when I actually "rented" a boat from there the first time I came back on here and posted and gave praise to the local marina, boy how things change when you get further involved.(just for a note the first boat I ever rented from there they had to come out on the water and fix it)

10. scwolf

scwolf Member

State:
    South Carolina
    By the way, we are fishing up and down the rediversion right now, but if anyone knows of some decent bank fishing spots around the Lakes I am all ears. Seeing as how this year for sure we will be fishing from the bank except when we rent a boat a few times, and those boats will be rented out of Rocks Pond.

11. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Robbie, I see a lot of people fishing from the bank of the diversion canal near Canal Lakes.

12. droptine77

droptine77 New Member

State:
    Anderson, SC
    I agree with Cary. A quick call to the BBB would shut him up.

13. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    <Running an engine out of fuel won't burn a piston>

It "can" too. I guess it depends on the engine. My brother who works on and builds Mercury racing engines strongly suggested that I never let my engine run out of fuel while running at top speed. It "could" burn a piston running too lean like that. He said he has seen it happen before. That said, I usually change my tanks over when one is running out, and have run a heap of tanks completely out through the years. :) Certainly NOT defending the jerk off. I was the first to say:
    "Shoddy business ethics SHOULD be posted to forewarn others before they mess with them."

Bill in SC

14. withone72

withone72 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I stayed there 2 years ago and he charged us 175.00 a night for a fifth wheel. A lady called while we where talking and he told her 90.00 a night for the same unit. The boat we rented was bad at 160.00 a day. I would not use him again. ever ever. lesson learned. we stayed at hill's landing this year and had a greated time.