Update on the Jeep

Discussion in 'LOCAL CALIFORNIA TALK' started by catfish slick, Jan 25, 2007.

1. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    Good morning Tom,
    and all my California BOC brothers and sisters. well I am still a foot, and I have not been fishing in several weeks. What a mess I have got in to with this Jeep, finding parts, and not only that but finding out what the parts are. believe me I am writhing every thing down when I find out what they are. The paper work I got when I bought this thing said it had 1965 mustang disc brakes on the back and 1966 corvette disc on the front. Well the parts houses said 65 mustang didn't have disc brakes in 1965. so it took me three weeks to find out that just a few 65s came out with disc, and they used a brake caliper from Kelsey hays. So $200.83 later I had a caliper. it just happened to be a hard one to come by. Then the brakes would not bleed and I found out that the master cylinder is bad and I had no idea what it was off of. well I took the number off the old one and I have ordered one from three different parts houses and not one of them was the right one. I finally found out last night from the guy that built the jeep that he took the master cylinder of a Lincoln Versi, but he couldn't remember what year .I haven't been able to find out what years Lincoln made the versi, but I don't think it was to many. Hopefully I will get back to fishing before to long, the weather hear is nice today around 70, every one have a nice day, and don't catch all them catfish.

2. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Good to hear from you Phil. Sounds like you are having a project with that old Jeep but I got to tell you that I once worked at an NAPA parts house for a few years on the counter and that is a common problem with older Jeeps that were military surplus. What you need for that master cyl is any disc brake cyl that has the same Bore and travel distance that will mount and the lines will connect to. Has to be for disc breaks though because drum brakes have a check that will bind your breaks on.
    Keep in touch and keep this saga updated, It's sure to provide some amusement to those that have been through something similar.

3. Capt Steve

Capt Steve Active Member

State:
    Clovis, CA
    Lincoln Versailles- 1977 to 1980
    Used a lot of the same parts as the Ford Granada & Mercury Monarch.

4. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    Hey thanks Capt Steve @ Tom .
    Problem with this master cylinder is the mounting plate. The wholes are turned on an angle on this one and all the rest are level. Thanks for help especially the dates on the versailles, Now I will have a little more Info to go back to the parts house with.