Update on new catfish laws for North Carolina

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by WylieCat, Jan 31, 2007.

1. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I have spoken at length with several NCWRC biologists over the past weeks about the ideas that have been brought up here and in other discussions. At this point I think every fisheries biologist in the western half of the state know about our interests.

To sum it up, the ball is rolling. We will just have wait and see how far it rolls, and maybe nudge it along in some flat spots!! :big_smile: In the next couple of months a group of biologists are planning to attend a CCC meeting to talk with us and hear some ideas and concerns. I will keep everyone posted on that. A date has not been set yet, but we should know something in a few days.

In the meantime, if you are interested in learning more or participating, please drop me a PM and I will keep each of you aware of whats going on. I will also let you know the e-mail contacts I have with the NCWRC commission in case you would like to contact them.

Obviously, please feel free to post a thread attached to this post since getting info out in the open produces new ideas.

2. BILLYP

BILLYP New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, North Carol
    Ive been wondering about that. I am with you 100% on this one Wylie, again if you need someone in Fayetteville IM HERE.

3. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Dieter I think it will be very important for us to meet with the biologists and clearly articulate what course of action we espouse.Please let us know ahead of time so we can travel to the meeting.I have had much experience talking to the chief biologist Mr White for Santee etc.SC was very close last year to getting a one big fish a day law passed last year but it got attached to a redfish bill and died in committee I believe.NONE THE LESS that was farther than anyone had gotton before.We may not be able to do anything for flatheads but should be able to help with Blues and Channels.Often the most difficult part about pushing a large rock up hill is having the determination to keep pushing,even after it has rolled back over you a few times.It might help if we had a meeting prior to meeting with the Bio.so we can standardize our request,all of us speak with one voice etc.:smile2:

4. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    It would be great if they put a limit on the big fish but i really dont see it happening that way. I bet they make the law just like bass. It will be something like, wont be able to keep the small ones they will have a limit of at least 12" long and 20 fish per day. I like keeping those small pan fryers :tounge_out: .

5. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    what kind of ideas and concerns is this meeting going to consist of.

6. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    I would suggest we (catfisherpersons and the Wildlife Comm.) give due consideration to the number of jugs that each fisherperson can put out at one time. Also, the size of the openings of fish traps needs to be addressed. At this time I don't believe we need a limit on the number of cats that you can keep. But, I would like for some consideration given to the release of larger cats (those concerned about catfish tournaments, we could conduct a survey (length/size/etc) for the NCWC at the weighin and release said fish back to the water as we do now). Last but not least, I would like to see some type of regulation that would protect known spawning areas during the catfish spawn. These are my concerns, what are yours?

7. floundahman

floundahman New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Mac, I'd be for getting rid of jugs altogether. Limblines and trotlines are legal and effective means of catching enough fish for eating. JMO. I know slot is a 4-letter word but I think that it may be the way to go in regards to size.

8. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Reading these posts emphasizes why I said we need to meet to determine what we want as an agenda before we tell it to biologists.Forget individual concerns like jugs,limb lines,trotlines ,limits, sizes etc.What we want or should strive for is the recognition of the catfishes as gamefish.This will allow the G&F to regulate or NOT regulate as necessary.Regulation may determine that electrofishing for cats in certain stretches of certain waters is a viable control measure or that unlimited jug fishing on certain waters is OK,some places may need a "Slot" others don't.Its to early to worry about what control measures will be instituted if any.Thats the job of the regional biologists ONCE they are empowered to regulate and protect a gamefish.If we represent a united effort to accomplish one thing then we have a much better chance to get "anything" done.:smile2:

9. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Jim, there is no way we could get everybody together and discuss our concerns as it relates to cats. That is why I think this is the perfect forum for us to discuss the pros and cons of everything affecting our cats. If we all know what everybodies concerns are, wouldn't we/us be in a better position to present our case to the Wildlife people? Mac

10. Catzilla2

Catzilla2 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    For what it is worth I agree with Jim that our first step should be in getting them classified as a Gamefish by the NC Wildlife Commision. Once this has been established we will have more than just our opinions to stand on.

11. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    I agree we should protect cats, but I'm not big on goverment involvement. there is no good all around law...that can be inforced or understood by all fishing comunity that would make "most" happy. What about ex: 12 yr old boy catches 70lb cat, he should be allowed to mount it or whatever, not be illeagle for him. shouldnt have to worry what the law is for this 1 species. but say ex: catfishrus...lol we would need some leash to hold him down. I believe answer is more in education, maybe gamefish recognition but mostly something like CRP 90% of anything you catch crappie/bass/catfish. take if you need it leave it if you don't. In todays digital cameras you don't have to go show your fish anymore. It's hard enough to fish now with size limits for different fish at different lakes, feels like you need a slide rule to figure out what you can keep here and there. I'm not an every weekend fisherman. I havnt hurt the deer/fish/bird population by any means. Ive tried...but just a novice. so for another example, fellow goes fishing everyday and has a 3 fish limit in 30 days he has 90 fish.....second fellow fish 1 time a month, goes on a good day but can only keep 3. that dosent really help the fish but limits an average fisheman. guess it's all about sportsmanship.

12. floundahman

floundahman New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Jerry, you bring up some good points. It really does come down to us (the fishermen).

13. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Jerry I love your post.

I wish we could get by without government involvement, but the truth is that American outdoorsmen have a poor track record when it comes to self management. We virtually wiped out the deer population early in the 1900’s, the Buffalo was eradicated, wild turkeys became rare, and the only thing that saved any of it was government intervention and regulation. Game laws were the only thing that kept brought these animals back.

My opinion is that we get the NCWRC involved and looking at the catfish population and the biology behind it. Right now they don’t have a grip on what is going on in the catfish world. From there we can analyze what threats there are and what is the best way to control it. These guys love what they do, and successful management on their part if a feather in their cap, so I see no reason why they would not want to make North Carolina a premier place for trophy catfish.

As for jugs and trotlines, while I am not a supporter or practitioner of either method, I believe they can still exist in a managed environment. I think there would have to be limits on how many jugs or hooks they can run. Of course they would still have to abide by any limit laws that may be implemented.

As I have stated before, I believe the catfish population is healthy and has the potential to be better. Right now I think a one fish per day limit on trophy fish over a certain size, say 28”, would go a long way to protect the bigger fish. It would allow an angler to harvest a once in a lifetime trophy, but limit them from taking large numbers of big fish. Liberal creel limits of say 20 fish per day would allow the casual angler the chance to put some food on the table, and it would limit someone from filling a boat up.

Catzilla, I agree with, “…our first step should be in getting them classified as a Gamefish…”. That alone is a monumental accomplishment that has never been done in this state. I think with that in the beginning there will be some sort of size limit and from there they will be able to make adjustments as needed.

Great feedback folks. :lol:

14. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    let me say this you dont need to keep big catfish just take lot of photos and get it weighed they dont mount catfish they make replicas enough said turn it lose maybe i will catch it lol. ron howard

15. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    but say ex: catfishrus...lol we would need some leash to hold him down.

hey no leash needed here because what you see in my pictures are released. all of them. i dont think every fish needs to be released but i figure there is plenty getting taking out so i put mine back to grow. dieter you doing a heck of a job with this and i want to thank you! i leave them juggers alone tonight.... full moon:big_smile:

16. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    If there's any juggers out tonight, they probably pretty chilly! lol I release all of my big fish, and only kept one because it was gut hooked and bleeding bad. I like to keep the small ones to eat and only keep channels. The juggers keep the blues rare enough on Badin so I turn loose the little ones too. It's all about preserving the fishery and having respect for the fish. Wyliecat, ditto on what catfishrus said, you doing a great job on this. I hope to meet ya' in person one day and shake your hand and say thanks man to man! And Jerry, how's that castnetting comin' along? see ya

17. FLATHEADJOE

FLATHEADJOE New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    guys i agree with jim we need to start with something and work from there i feel that getting them recognised as gamefish is a great place to start,this has done great things for a lot of species and from that point the fish can be limited (size or weight)and methods.but we need to start somewhere and not ask for to much at once.and regardless as long as we(catfisherpersons i think it was lol) keep up our good standing and abide by our morals we will do the sport a great start.keep up the good work all.

18. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    There are many more reasons to release rather than keep a BIG fish-I won't go into all that. I think an over 32 inch or slot limit could stand a chance because it is the big boys that get all the press. Make the limit apply to commercial and trotlines, that would take the wind out of their sails in as far as taking big fish to pay to play ponds. I think it has been established that the big fish population has suffered at Santee Cooper--lots of fish but not the big fish factory it used to be. Largely in part due to the attitude that those fish would replenish themselves. It ain't happening, and with nice fisheries developing all over the Carolinas wouldn't it be nice if we learned a little from Santee. Gamefish status would be nice if only to raise the value of catfish in the minds of the general public who may subscribe to the notion that catfish are "rough" fish. A 50 pound catfish may be rough on your back but certainly qualifies as a gamefish in every sense of what a gamefish is meant to be. Protect the big un's lets eat the little ones!

19. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    sorry catfishrus, didnt mean to imply your unsportsman like. Just tried to make example that some "could" put a hurting on them and some not so much. I look up to you guys on catfish1 and think this forum is prefect place to educate sportsman. My point was laws are like locks...they only keep honest people out. alot of fishermen are "die hard" and on a 1 fish limit I can see them making many trips to camp/truck and going back fishing. I know guys that kill more deer than their limit and thats far more restictions than we could hope for catfish. Gamefish designation good, after that even with laws, eduacation the only thing that will show the true improvment that we want. laws restict the honest sportsman and sad to say there are plenty that are less than honest. Dont get me wrong, I'll back whatever biologist say needs to be done but that will not solve the problem only bring light to it.
    Rookie, I tossed castnet a few times when I got home, did so-so. but was in Florida this past weekend so havnt had time to try it more. I hate cold, and it is COLD right now. it was 70 in Fl. we went diving, I tried to take a few pictures of catfish in Rainbow river but 3-5# channels all I seen. an aligator gar was biggest thing I seen about 5'-6' long. We went down for the Manetee thing, and were not disapointed.

20. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Good luck fellas I hope it works out. I have been riding the wildlife department pretty hard in the past couple of years about enforcement of current laws and I have tag-n-release program through the local biologist I have been working with to get some type of data dase to help with the push of making the catfish a gamefish which I think is the #1 priority.