Update on my Blue Gill trap

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Flatheadhunter33, Feb 20, 2008.

1. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Well I took the trap out last night to test it out. I dropped it in a nice out of the way seemingly quiet spot. As I walked up there were a few fish splashing around...something even swirled in the brush on the opposite side of the hole. If I'd taken a rod with me I would have thrown a line in.

Anyhow, I go back this morning at approx 10:30 to check the trap...and...it was gone!!! Some piece of (insert word of your choice here) stole my trap:angry::angry::angry:!!!!! Six hours of building that trap down the drain just like that!
    The worst part is that I dont even know if the trap had gills in it when it got lifted.

After some reflection though, I realize that there is still some good in the situation. I still have enough hardware cloth to build another one. I also learned that even the most out of the way quiet spots are not safe from theives...Maybe I'll see the knuckle head out there with my trap and go from there (not likely though). So........back to the drawing board for me!

2. ldw45

ldw45 Member

State:
    Illinois
    What a bummer..... Keep us posted on its success when you get the new one.

3. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Thats enough to piss off the Pope.

:sad2::angry::crazy::angry::sad2:

4. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    That just sucks! I hate thieves!!! I hope you get another built soon and this one stays safe! Good Luck!

5. GoFish_Tony

GoFish_Tony New Member

State:
    Big Rock, IL
    Sorry to hear about your bad luck Dameon.
    Man I hate thieves!!! I hope the air breathing meatsack that stole it gets what he deserves!!!

6. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Unfreakinbelieveable!!!!!!!! Man that ticks me off. :angry:

That sure didn't last long. I assume you even had it tagged with your name (thats a requirement in most states)

Sorry to hear that, it's a shame that thieves are always out there among us with no respect for other folks property!:angry:

Be nice to set another one in the same spot and do a recon mission with some of your USMC buddies and catch 'em in the act again!:wink:

Feel for you buddy!:sad2:

7. Flatheadhunter33

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    My buddy and I were thinking of setting up another one in that spot and watching to see who comes to get it...then we both agreed that it's not worth all that potential trouble. Fishing is supposed to be fun not something that can land one or both of us in jail...Oh well...it still gets me pretty steamed though.

8. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Rig up another with a flash bang full of nasty stink bait. :roll_eyes:

9. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    There you go a detonation of some sort. You know.......just to scare em a bit. Nothing that would blow off any body parts. Just leave em with a load in their britches.:smile2:

10. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    mariofish i had people steal my traps too this is what i do i put my traps in deep water the only way they get my traps is if they want to get wet use waders that go to your chest dont let people no about it too i hope that help you

11. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    I hate to read about your new trap being stolen. :angry:
    I have had several minnow traps stolen over the years. I had one stop about 15 years ago that had about a half dozen traps stolen is about three months time. I figured after a while whoever was doing it would get enough traps to satisfy there needs. After the fifth or or sixth trap i was the one who gave up. I filled the last one with a big paper bag full of dog crap from the dog lot and tossed it into the water. Found that one on the bank the next morning.:bad_smelly::smile2: The latch was all busted up on it and I had to use wire to hold it shut. I don't know if that stopped them or the smell was just more than they could take. I started using that hole the next year and had no more trouble.:smile2::eek:oooh:
    I hate a thief...:angry:

i hope you have better luck with your next trap.

12. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    hey Bro. dont sweat it man, i know you are upset, but you know the illegals out here probably swiped it. thats why if you ever break down in the middle of the dessert you better have good insurance, because by the time you get back with a tow truck your car will be stripped. the next one you make you can put a couple of CXU-3's in there. rigg them up to where they will go off when someone doesnt know they are in there opens the gate. lol. or you could put a big old snake in it and wait until they come by. lol

13. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    That sux bigtime!! You could make another and set up a trail cam to "catch" whomever is doin' the stealin'. But then, they might steal the trail cam if they find that! :) Just a thought.
    BB in SC

14. Flatheadhunter33

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Im gonna put another one together today and try to use it for this weekend (if I can get out). My youngest is at school sick and I gotta go get him and take him home. I'll see if i can watch him and put the trap together while he naps. I'll keep you all updated.

15. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Man I feel for ya! It seems like people stealing is becoming more and more common.Sad to think another "fisherman" would do something like that.More than likely it was some punk kid just trying to ruin your day.:angry::angry:

16. whodaman

whodaman New Member

State:
    Des Moines Iowa
    dameon you should show them what Marines do to thieves dont hurt them just scare the crap out of them

17. keyskevin

keyskevin New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    I lived down in the Keys for years around the lobster traps, and you just DON'T mess with a mans traps.Good luck with the new one.I like the idea of putting a snake in it, and waiting till they steal that one.

18. SSgt Fishslayer

State:
    south carolina
    hey bro. if you wanted to get out sometime this weekend i am free. just let me know when and i can try and fanagle it with my personal C.O.

19. seacatfish

seacatfish New Member

State:
    Florida
    Dameon, did you have it secured in place? I`ve had some freaky things happen with animals trying to get a free meal. Just a thought......

20. SSgt Fishslayer

State:
    south carolina
    next time you set one out, run about 30 foot of chain to it and chain it to one of the trees that run along the bank out here. might work, might not. worth a shot.