Update on Diawa Giant DF100A reels

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by JimG, Feb 8, 2009.

1. JimG

JimG New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Back in June of '08 I bought two Diawa Giant DF100A reels. I needed two very large spinning reels that would not cost a lot. After some research online I figured I'd give them a chance. If I recall correctly I spent $29.99 for each one at Bass Pro. I kind of did a 'review' of sorts on them when I got them and posted that 'review' here on this forum. Well after a summer of use I though I'd let folks know that they did great! Now in my locale we don't typically catch big cats but I caught many 2 to 10 pound channels with both of them. I also caught a few carp that were bigger. Now I know some of you guys on the bigger impoundments and rivers will scoff at 10 pound channels but that's what we have got here. If you can't afford much these days but need a big reel I'd certainly recommend them. Of course my Shimano Baitrunners are going nowhere ( I bought those when money was not so tight) but these DF100A's are not half bad.

2. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Good looking reel for the price, but the handle is permanently fixed to the left side, right?

3. JimG

JimG New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Yes it is fixed to the left side only.

4. lou_a

lou_a Member

State:
    Texas
    No issues with mine I bought at least 6 months ago @ Academy for 29.99. Think the price has gone up a buck or 2 there.. Works perfect for bottom fishing..

Drawbacks-Big, heavy, no instant-anti-reverse, drag could be better. Handle is not interchangeable from left to right (a non issue to me). Not the best reel to catch small ones on as you'll have them skipping/waterskiing across the surface.

Positives-Low gear ratio large handle, & large size give it plenty of power. Even with low gear rate it retrieves a whopping 39 inches of reel per turn of the handle due to it's extreme circumference. Huge circumference allows you to spool it up with heavy (30#+) mono cause the coils are so large.

It's a beast of a reel and well worth 30 bucks..... I'll buy another when I scrape the cash together.