Update on Bartlett, carp for bait, any luck up river?

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARIZONA TALK' started by AZflats, Oct 3, 2005.

1. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Howdy fellow Arizona cat fish nuts,
    ~ On my last three visits to Bartlet, I have fished strickly near the dam/marina area.. I have had good luck, avoiding getting skunked every time. No Flatheads over 20# though. The Blue cats seem to be hitting more and more at night. Some are even hitting the blue gill offerings.. Also, the population of small bite sized carps, (yummy) seem to be increasing. Last Sunday morning; my wife, daughter and me pulled out around 50 of them in the course of about 3 hours.. (my dog ate what was left of our corn)..

~ Anyone have expirience with using carp for bait? What style hook, size, location of hook penetration, etc... I have been using them lately, hooking them in the same fashion I would for the blue gills (behind dorsal)..

~ Any body fishing up river, what is the good word up there?

2. Zonaman

Zonaman New Member

State:
    Florida
    Just got back from Bartlett (10/2). Fished way up river, near Beehive Point- at the place where the water goes from green to brown. I was a little disappointed in that I only caught a couple of flaties (on blue gills). One was a 9 pounder. Had a couple of runs where my line peeled out but they didn't hook. I couldn't keep the carp off my worms and they were to big for bait around 5 lbs or more- one of them snapped my 10 lb test as I tried to net him. I was anchored just downstreram of the big rock that sits in the middle of the channel (for those of you familiar with the area) in about 6 feet of water. Between the channel and a shallow I was casting my blue gills downstream or toward the channel hoping to get them on the way to or from. It seems like a promising location, I just need to find a few holes or maybe work on my presentation. I'd like to try it again. Maybe some of you more experienced fellows you can critique my strategy.

3. jtocci

jtocci New Member

i fished bartlett too on sat from about 3:00 to 11:00pm down by all the stumps past yellow cliffs and caught garbage!! 1 cat all night about 1lb 1/2 channel. i've come to the decision i'm selling my boat cause i'v e been fishing these waters for the past 3 years and all i end up doing is wasting my gas $$$ towing my boat to the lakes around here. it seems like most of the guys i've talked to have some of the best luck on the docks and shores. i do pretty good in the rivers though. i think i'll sell my boat and get one of those 1 man pontoons and slap an electric motor on it?

4. Zonaman

Zonaman New Member

State:
    Florida
    Well, I have had better years on the water than this. Maybe there's too much fishing pressure. When I hear stories of guys taking 30 flaties or so and keeping them all it lends creedence to the idea. However, I'm convinced there's no such thing as a bad day of fishing (foul weather not withstanding). Last night I was out the water it was a like a sheet of glass reflecting the stars like a mirror. It was quiet and, for a while, I could do somehting I don't often do: Nothing. Gives a guy time to think and reflect on things. If I catch one of those "paddle tailed devils" or two so much the better. My boat's paid for and I'm well enough off that the gas isn't too much of a bother so I think I'll keep her for a while.

5. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Well the best night I ever had catfishing, I caught 12 flatties in 3 hours... I always have luck near the dam.. I hear all about the catfishing done up the river.. And at times, i hear great stories of some big ones.. But every time I go up river, I catch nuthin.. Last time i was up in the muddy water, I caught 4 large soft shelled turtles..

Maybe you need to try my spot.. I am a little hesitant about this becouse, well, I get a little flustered when I find someone in the spot I plan on fishing in.. But when you start talking about selling your boat and stop fishing, well that is disapointing..

Fish directly across the lake from the dam.. Find a sandy shore line with big boulders.. Fish in water about 20-35 feet.. Use blue gills hooked behind the dorsal.. Hang on tight...

And remember..... It is not about catch'in, it's about fish'in.... :D

6. Matthew Cook

Matthew Cook Member

State:
    Arizona
    wow azflats, you must be an old pro. i just started catfishing about 2 years ago but i have fished all my life, (15 years). yes i have had my share off not catching fish, but have also caught some , nothing big though. Bartlett is my favorite lake, even though we have been there many times and not caught any fish. way more than i can count. but there are still those times, no matter how many nights in a row you get skunked, you catch a flathead. you look at the fish and think to your self, all this for a fish?. but somehow in the end it is all worth it and without any hesitation you let the fish go back to it's home where some other lucky catfisherman will catch it. these are the moments i live for. no matter how many times i get skunked, and how many steepness nights i spend out there on the lake, those catfish will never see the last of me. in a couple months i will be driving and will be spending every second of my free time out on the lake. catfishing is a hit or miss hobby. i just hope i can get to a point in my life where i can be experienced enough to teach others what i have learned.

7. Matthew Cook

Matthew Cook Member

State:
    Arizona
    hey azflats, if you took some pictures of the fish i am sure everyone else including myself would love to see them

8. Zonaman

Zonaman New Member

State:
    Florida
    I've caught some outstanding bass in the area AZflats described. On my first trip to Bartlett this April, I was trolling one of those old Heddon Hellbenders (really murders the bass on his lake!) over one of the reefs in the area and BAM! I thought I had a lunker largemouth on my hands. Turned out to be an 8 pound flathead. I noticed he has a fresh gash on top of his head. What do think the odds are that I raked that old Hellbender over his snout and got him mad enough to chomp down on that thing?

9. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Matthew,
    Here is one Photo of the mess of cats I caught.. In was not untill 3am when I got my first bite.. Needless to say, I did not sleep that night..

~ Headed out to Roosevelt on Monday, plan to stay for a few nights..
    * Maybe I can show you some photos of some real hogs.. Keeping my fingers crossed.. I have all kinds of new tricks I want to try..

Attached Files:

10. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    I never knew the catfishing in AZ was that good.......I cant even imagine catfishing for flatties with that awesome scenery in the background.......are flat heads statewide? or in just a few body of waters?

11. Matthew Cook

Matthew Cook Member

State:
    Arizona
    yup the fishing here can be great, you just need to know what you are doing. there are flathead everywhere but up north.
    great looking fish AZflats, where by the dam did you catch them. i went fishing last weekend. we fished in a cove the first night and the second night we tried fishing the dam but a huge storm rolled in and we couldn't keep the boat in one spot. we had two 20 pound anchors out and we were still being dragged. we were fishing in front of that pile of rocks on that flat. did you fish there or in front of that big dam? we have never fished that side of the lake so it was all new to me. might go to pleasant Wednesday for the night.

12. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Try directly across the lake from the marina.. A short run across the lake from the first boat ramp.. The water has gone down about 5 feet in the last three weeks, so spots are always changing.. This time of year the surface water temp will start to dip down to 76 degrees at night.. This means you can fish your blue gills in deep water.. Probably around 30 feet.. Look for sand and big boulders.. Check a lake map to look for an area of the lake that is closest to the main channel, (deep water)... You will want to fish in a flats type scenario, with deep water access.. The big boulders are where the blue gills hide at night.. That is where the flatheads look for food..

This time of year, the catfish are hungry.. They are actively foraging for food waiting for the winter, where they will be less active..

13. Matthew Cook

Matthew Cook Member

State:
    Arizona
    when do you think the fishing will slow down?

14. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Umm, I don't know.. I think typicaly the colder water makes the catfish slower and more lethargic.. But if you find a good spot you can have good luck, no mater the time of year.

* I will be at the lake when ever I can, no mater the season.. As long as the wife lets me go.. ;)

15. Matthew Cook

Matthew Cook Member

State:
    Arizona
    i figure a goog winter hole would have to bee real deep. i wish i could find somewhere where there is big boulders under the water. what would a good winter hole include. i think it would be great if you could find somewhere where you cand catch the flatties in the winter.