Update on aluminum foil

Discussion in 'ARKANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by grizzly, Aug 6, 2006.

1. grizzly

grizzly New Member

State:
    Griffithville, Arkansas
    I went yesterday to take up my lines, but got around really late as my back was really bad [broke it in 2 places on 2002]. Was about noon when I got to the lines. Found where 2 had twisted off and had 3 hooks straightened out. Will try it again this week in Des Arc Bayou where I do most of my fishing. After 3 days of playing in the boat it will take 2 or 3 days now for my back to forgive me. Gotta go as my wife has invitedfriends over to help eat the 18 puonder. To me that is what fishing is about, sharing with friends and having fun wether you catch anything or not. grizzly

2. metalfisher

metalfisher New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I get a lot of those straight hooks. The small #4 Mustad hook gives the foil a lot of action but won't hold on a straight pull.

If I didn't have so many of the hooks already, I would go to a differet hook. Maybe a small eagle claw; something that won't bend.

Robert

3. grizzly

grizzly New Member

State:
    Griffithville, Arkansas
    Robert, I was using 2/0 eagle claw trotline hooks but there area lot of big things swimming in the White. grizzly

4. NIMROD

NIMROD New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Grizzly , unless you are fishing where there nothing but small Channels better use atleast 6/0 ss hooks. What was the 18 lber ? I am definately curios about this foil fishing. Think it would work on noodles (jugs)?

5. metalfisher

metalfisher New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Grizz, if you getting 2/0 hooks straightened, you in some good fish!

When I get serious, I stay with the line all night and run it every hour. That way, I don't get as many lost fish.

I am still thinking of changing hooks though. The reason I used these little ones is because that is what Mr. Otto used. He taught me to fish with foil.

I tried the foil on 3 jugs one night. Only caught one small channel on the foil.

As soon as I can, I am going to put new bait on and go fish the St. Francis to see if I can catch flats on it.

I am thinking that I will have to set it in slow or no current areas. That way the drops won't twist up and trash won't gather on the line

Robert

6. grizzly

grizzly New Member

State:
    Griffithville, Arkansas
    NIMROD, I think it would do good on jugs drifting andbobbing in the wind, ought to give good movement to the bait. Robert, I just can't stay in a boat very long anymore. I would love to try this in my neighbors reservoir that is loaded with channel cats. haha grizzly

7. metalfisher

metalfisher New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I went by Nylon Net Co. in Memphis today and found my next metal foil hook!

My camera is dead so I can't post a pic right now. The hook is still a #4 Mustad but it is the "Salt Water" version. $8.80 per 100 as compared to $5 for 100 regular #4.

I cannot straighten it with my fingers like I can the other #4. It is stanless and not quite as shiny as the regular #4 but it is a half again the wire diameter and flattened in the bend.

This Friday night I will be working at the Vietnam Memorial wall so can't put out lines. Might try it Saturday night.

Robert

8. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I've heard of alot of things to catch fish with,but aluminum foil????? I can see where it would trigger a bass or wallye esp.if it was being used as a lure,but never a catfish. Daily I continue to be astounded at the info I gather from this place!! pk powell:amazed: