Update on a broken Ugly Stick

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by Ictalurus Punctatus, Jan 31, 2007.

1. Ictalurus Punctatus

Ictalurus Punctatus New Member

State:
    Greensboro, NC
    Just got off of the phone with Shakespeare. The Ugly Stick Rods do not have a lifetime warranty, only a seven year. Without a sales reciept, no warranty will be honored. Just a heads up to everyone, if you buy an Ugly Stick then save the reciept. Shakespeare's name on the rod isn't enough for them to stand behind it.

Jon

2. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    I have several of the Ugly Sticks, but I have never had any problems with any of them. Nor do I have the reciepts.

This is solid information! Thanks brother!

3. Ictalurus Punctatus

Ictalurus Punctatus New Member

State:
    Greensboro, NC
    I have been informed that the Seven year warranty has been in effect since 1999. I'm not sure what they would do for a rod purchased in 1998.

4. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    Thats pretty crazy i have never heard of one breaking. But it really doesnt pertain to me i dont have one. But thanks for the info.

5. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Those are decent rods but I rarely keep receipts on rods under 100.00 . Good to know though. Thanks.

6. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    If you bought it at Wal Mart, take it there. Its worth a try. I exchanged an Ugly Stick there that must have been 5-6 years old that had an insert out, no questions asked. The rod must be a model they carry. Actually, they'll take back a rod model they sell with or without the receipt even it it was bought elsewhere. They don't ask questions, so its up to your conscience.

7. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Thanks for the heads up, that is good to know.

8. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I would think that if you used the rod for three years, you have all ready got your money's worth from it. Don't see the need to even worry at a 7 year point. But, I guess that is how you get rich. LOL

9. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    if not walmart then academy they said as long as they sell or have sold that rod they will replace it no questions asked.

10. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    yeah agreed at 27.95 a rod you cant go wrong . thats an average of $4. a year for rod usage over a 7 year span . of course i guess to some people thats alot to spend on gear . hope my rods last that long , oh but some have lol . the reels are what i worry about $100. for an abu 7000 it should last atleast 25 years if the same rule of thumb goes as for the rods .

11. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)

I wish that were the case. Bought a fly rod, the tip broke, and they no longer carry the rod. Because its not in their inventory books, they didn't exchange it. Had I the receipt, though, they would have. It was a cheapy fly rod, but on my measly disability check, the Academy policy helps if a rod breaks.

12. floundahman

floundahman New Member

State:
    North Caro
    I had an Ugly Stik break on me one time. I was carp fishing with a 7' Ugly Stik with 10# Trilene Mono line. I hooked into a fish that weighed @12 # and the rod broke at the handle. I've since fished with the Ugly Stik Catfish rods and had no trouble. I agree that if you get 7 years out of a catfish rod you're doing well. I will be keeping my receipts though.

13. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I agree with you guys Its the reels that set you back:smile2: