Upcoming blue catfish regulation change in OK.

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by HOLD-ACCOUNT, Mar 26, 2009.

1. HOLD-ACCOUNT

HOLD-ACCOUNT New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    The ODWC has ended their 4 year study on bluecatfish in the state. They are concerned that the blue catfish over 30 inches are getting harvested at a very fast rate.

ODWC is suggesting a regulation that will allow a angler to keep 15 blue catfish per day with one of those blue catfish in excess of 30 inches per day.

(FYI on average in OK waters a 30 inch blue catfish averages 10 lbs and is 10 years old.)

What do you think. Yea or nea.....

2. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    I tkink .....:eek:oooh:........YEA!!!! Wish it was the same here in Ar, got a call yesterday a 68lb blue was taken down at the dam .....along with a 20lb & 15 lb some others too yes rod and reel .....They met there maker yesterday too..hacked up and put in the freezer...made me sick...:0a30: I know there not mine...i do know he wont participate in the act of fishing in my boat:wink:

3. South Grand Laker

South Grand Laker New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    is this not the same thread we've heard albert talked about months ago, or is it something diffrent?

4. HOLD-ACCOUNT

HOLD-ACCOUNT New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Probably the same info.......I am just curious myself how anglers view the purposed regulation.

5. South Grand Laker

South Grand Laker New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    oh okay , i think there was a pretty long thread about it somewhere, i'm not sure where it went, but it had alot of post to it

6. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    I think its a great idea and it should have been done a long time ago.
    I only wish Kansas would do the same.:confused2:
    I also wish both states showed more love to the flathead.:sad2:

7. Okccatman

Okccatman New Member

State:
    Norman,Ok
    I have total faith in the ODWC. If they say this is what needs to be done, then I will support it and abide by the new regulations.

I had the privileged of fishing with Albert a few years back on Kerr and our catch was inspected and logged by the ODWC. It was a very pleasant conversation. ODWC was also present a few years ago at the MDA Big Fish Off at lake Thunderbird. They again collected data on the Blues we had in the live well.

I for one am happy that they are enacting new regulations that may in fact make Oklahoma a destination for those wanting to land a trophy Bluecat.

I have not read the amended regulation. But I wonder if those fishing in a tournament will be given exception to the regulation due to the standard practice of releasing the catch after weight in. Does anyone have any information on this?

Dave

8. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I'm OK with it. I catch enough channels to have all the fish I want. Don't get me wrong I keep some blues too, but I release the bigger ones. The 20" limit on flatheads seem to be working so I hope the 30" limit on blues will work to.

9. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I think it's a great idea and should really help everyones home waters if they will get out and enforce it. The only question I have is that per person or per boat? I have heard different stories on this and it will be a change for tournament anglers even though we release all fish at the end of the tournament. We release all fish over 10 lbs. when keeping fish to eat.

10. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    Just my opinion but the bigger fish arent that good eating.I only want them under about 10 lbs. to eat.

11. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    We've done a lot of talking about it up north in Kansas. A good number
    of big fish have been taken up here and we would like to promote the
    idea of CPR. Not sure if more complicated laws are the way to go with
    that personally. Harder to enforce. Education may be the answer.

12. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    Glad to see it made mandatory for your states future trophy blue population. When I was at Texoma last year, I could not believe all the big blues that were pulled out of there. From what I saw, to many people have the same mentality as a lot of Kansas anglers. Thinking them big fish will be around forever no mater how many they take. You were actually ridiculed if you mentioned releasing a fish when I was down there.

13. Dirtdobber

State:
    Vian Okla
    The way I read the law it one over 30" per person. 15 limit. That a combination of channels and blues unless they change it, and I hope they don't. IMO

14. bedweary

bedweary New Member

State:
    Tulsa,Oklahoma
    It's an excellent idea. I catfish mostly for the sport of it and from
    that point of view "The bigger the catch, the better!", but
    take a pic and let'em go so someone else can have the chance
    to catch the big one. It's a shame to see someone butcher a
    huge fish that was so satisfying to reel in. Barry

15. Okccatman

Okccatman New Member

State:
    Norman,Ok
    I have heard of exception to slot limits during tournament fishing. I do not know if that will be the case with this regulation. I am sure someone here knows the answer or can find out easily enough.
    GEORGE....... where are you?
    Have you heard of information in regard to this reg. and tournament fishing?

Dave

16. Okccatman

Okccatman New Member

State:
    Norman,Ok
    Just got off the phone with Fisheries. NO exception will be given to tournament anglers.
    I think this may change strategies during tournaments.
    Never the less, this is a step in the right direction to preserve such a wonderful resource.

Dave

17. Koon

Koon New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I agree with it, but it still comes down to having the man power to enforce it. Back in the 80's it seemed I was running into the game warden all the time on and off the lake. Its been 12 years since I've seen one actually out on the water or at the boat ramp.

18. Dirtdobber

State:
    Vian Okla
    True. Just look a a list of the game wardens, Each county only has 1 or 2. Thats a lot of ground to cover.

19. Trevor1

Trevor1 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    It seems strange that only the Blue cat has the max size limit. I'd say this should help out the guide fishermen, but if I was a guide I'd want everyone to throw their fish back also.

20. HOLD-ACCOUNT

HOLD-ACCOUNT New Member

State:
    oklahoma

Why would this new regulation just help the guides, and not all the other anglers in the state?

As far as guides go......I think most clean fish for their clients. Some guides do have size restrictions on their boats and some don't.

I personally feel like we should harvest plenty of cats....I just personaly don't like to kill the large adult catfish when we are blessed with so many 3 to 10 lbrs out there to enjoy.