Up or Down Stream for stocked fish

Discussion in 'Trout Fishing' started by Clovis, Mar 11, 2007.

1. Clovis

Clovis New Member

State:
    Paris Tennessee
    In a stream that is stocked with trout should one concentrate up stream, or down stream from the point in which the fish are stocked?

2. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I don,t think it realy maters myself when wadeing for trout I all ways fish down stream:big_smile:

3. RebelMan

RebelMan Guest

Yea like he said, it doesnt matter which one you choose because they will go both directions.:boss:

4. MattShannon

MattShannon New Member

State:
    WV
    I personally like to go upstream. I doesn't matter as much for stocked trout, but it's very important for natives. Although they'll swim both directions, they'll face/look upstream when holding in a spot waiting for food. Natives are more keen, but you can spook them all easier walking down stream.

5. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I have a stocked Trout Stream that goes through my front yard. The fish commission puts the fish in a bit downstream but the Trout find their way upstream!

6. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    I agree. They go both direction. Around here they stock the river in several places. If you would walk about 15 minutes either upstream or downstream from 2 places where they stock you'd be at my uncles farm. Noone seems to want to walk that far however. I just go to the farm and drive to the river.

A few years ago I took a bunch of guys (9) from Illinois there and they all limited out in less than a half an hour. They wanted to go back the next day but uncle was kinda piffed about me taking that many down there.