"Unwritten code" among police

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Fatkat, Mar 26, 2006.

1. Fatkat

Fatkat New Member

State:
    Blanchester, Ohio
    Traffic stop may reflect 'unwritten code' among police
    By Kelli Wynn

Dayton Daily News

UNION | Two Union police officers thought they had an impaired driver — glossy, bloodshot eyes, slurred speech, the smell of alcohol — when they stopped him on Old Springfield Road for driving 40 mph in a 25 mph zone.

Traffic stop reveals misconduct
    Timeline of events

Then they learned it was Montgomery County sheriff's Maj. John Brands, a childhood neighbor of one of the officers.

They did not ask him to leave the vehicle or give him a sobriety test.

Instead, Officers James Johnston and Jeffrey Smith let Brands drive home.

Once he was safely home, the officers chatted with him in his driveway and Brands suggested they apply for a job with the sheriff's office.

Johnston took Brands up on his offer.

"Is it professional courtesy or negligence of duty?" Tim Apolito, coordinator of Community Relations for the University of Dayton's Criminal Justice Studies program, asked of the officers' actions — or inactions.

"It's a hard question to answer because you weren't there," Apolito said

"You didn't have an alcohol test on the guy. You can't pass judgment unless the matter is investigated."

The Sept. 18 matter was investigated by Union police and the sheriff's office.

The Union probe found its officers acted improperly and should have tested Brands' sobriety; they didn't because of Brands' rank in the sheriff's office.

The sheriff's office found Brands' conduct improper because he drove "excessive speeds" after drinking.

The sheriff's report also said, though Brands picked a poor time to recruit, that did not violate sheriff's policy.

The "unwritten code," Apolito called it: "Giving a fellow officer a break."

It's rarely documented.
    I thought this article was interesting. Here's a couple of my thoughts.

They found his conduct improper because he drove "excessive speeds" after drinking. (Is that a bunch of B.S. or what?)
    You would think the would find his coduct improper just for driving after drinking!

"Is it professional courtesy or negligence of duty?"
    Should it even be a question, of course its a negligence of duty.
    :0a36:

2. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio

3. bigfish

bigfish New Member

State:
    Dunbar WV.
    negligence all the way:mad:

4. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    It aint right! It pi$$ me off to see some cops speeding when they want, doing what they want. When they are breaking the laws they are suppose to be enforcing. I have a bother inlaw that drives like a bat out of he!! and never gets a ticket, cause he has fireman tags on his car.It aint right.

Phil Washburn likes this.
  5. APD1146

APD1146 New Member

State:
    New York
    Hey John;
    I could echo your words 100%. There are bad in every job there is. I too did 31 years as a police officer. I did my job the way it was supposed to be done even though it did not always set right with some of my superior's. As we both know politics are a big factor in our job's. I saw a lot of cops come and go for various reasons thru those years and not by my doing but their own. I never ratted on a fellow officer . Just the opposite and lost some time for backing them. Never took a bribe or anything that was not mine to take. For those few out there that give us a bad name I apoligize.
    Keep your gun in the holster, brother. ;)

6. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    RIP your right also, it ain't right. We got some of the same crap around here too.

Arlington, you sir definitely have integrity. A lawman that upholds the law in such away as to jail his own daughter.

Integrity : completeness,wholeness,unimpaired condition, soundness, honesty, sincerity,etc.

Phil Washburn likes this.
  7. MilwaukeeCatHunter

MilwaukeeCatHunter New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    Don't believe everything you read in the press. However, IF it happened, it is a violation of the oath that officers take when they get hired. It is also a violation of the law enforcement officers' code of ethics. It is not acceptable behavior. I am not excusing this behavior, but consider this: If an officer arrests "one of his own" what might happen the next time he is screming for help on the air and his backup squad is one of the officers he arrested or a friend of one of the officers he arrested? When it is all said and done, cops are human too. Mistakes are gonna happen and the officers should be held accountable through fair and impartial progressive disciplinary action.

8. Fatkat

Fatkat New Member

State:
    Blanchester, Ohio
    I believe most Law Enforcement Officers such as yourself are good and Heroic people and I have the upmost respect for them. I just thought this article was interesting and was not meant in no way to bad mouth them. I just wanted to add thank you and all other law abiding Law Enforcement for your service.

:0a31:

9. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I'm from Nevada and we have a NHP officer that just killed 4 people and wounded one while driving 113 MPH. Yes 113 MPH. No lights and no sirens, he was in a hurry to get home for dinner and an online test. He SLAMMED right into the back of the vehicle. The survivor is a 16 year old girl pregnant with twins. Oh the worries he faces with a survivor.

10. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    I 'm not putting cops down, by all means I know they have a tough job. I just think they should live by the same laws they enforce.

11. MilwaukeeCatHunter

State:
    Wisconsin
    One more thing...don't judge all cops by the actions of a small minority of "bad ones." The majority of cops do want to make a difference. Arlington is right....they put up with a lot of BS every day just to try and make a difference.

12. MilwaukeeCatHunter

State:
    Wisconsin
    You got that right....they take an oath and they darn well should live by it. No excuses.

13. Fatkat

Fatkat New Member

State:
    Blanchester, Ohio
    I agree completely.

14. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I believe in police enforcment by all means and have many friends that are cops. This was just plain STUPID.

15. MilwaukeeCatHunter

State:
    Wisconsin
    How did they find out that he was rushing home for dinner and the test? Going 113 MPH to get home for dinner is really outrageous. Was he a rookie or veteran? Sounds like a rookie who had the "need for speed."

16. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    If the majority of cops are good ones then this shouldn't be a problem. The majority should stick together and weed out the bad ones. But the way I see it you have this code, so the bad ones just keep doing what they want.

17. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    theres a fine line between profesional courtesy and breaking the law .
    if they couldnt/wouldnt or shouldnt have gave him a sobriety test then they should have called in the state troopers or another dept. that
    had no ties to their department.

a driver under the influence is a danger to all others on the road includeing him/herself,so how can you or anyone say hey its a _________, we cant
    make the same rules apply to them .
    B.S.

now if that guy had killed some innocent family or individual on his way home after that what would those two buffoons do then? wouldnt they be
    in direct responsibilty for not getting him off the road?
    would they then make up lies and stories to cover their tracks?

just sounds like a wrong thing in MY opinion.

we had a judge here in town a few months back that was caught dui
    refused the breathalizor and wow he didnt get the automatic license suspension like you and i would have gotten had we refused to blow
    and then he gets a snakey friend lawyer to come up with bogus claims that his illegal turn was not a turn at all it was merely following the road the way it angled off was hard to determine if he had to stop or if he could just keep going as in following a curve LOL reminded me of clinton
    sex is not sex if you look at it in an unsexy way LOL;)

18. APD1146

APD1146 New Member

State:
    New York
    HFatcat;
    I did not take offense at your comment any more than i'm sure Arlington did. We did our jobs by the oath we took and apoligize for those who did not. There is no excuse for their behavior. As Arlington said times are just not the same, and I did not want to change my ways so I made the decision to retire. I'm at the station all the time and some of the new cops have bad altitudes which are not to my thinking. Today it seems it is all about the money and overtime for them. Law enforcement be damn'd

I'll fish with you any time if you'd let me.

19. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    The black box was sent back to FORD MOTOR COMPANY. He was doing 120 and hit the car at 113. Thanks for spywear.

20. MilwaukeeCatHunter

State:
    Wisconsin
    That's gotta hurt...