Unwanted snapper turtles in new pond

Discussion in 'Turtle Talk' started by Cochese, Apr 21, 2006.

1. Cochese

Cochese New Member

State:
    Eliza, Illinois
    Hello all! Taking a little time yesterday to do a little shroom hunting around my pond, I discovered 2 common snappers mating in the shallows. I estimated them to be about 20-25 lbs each. Having a nesting pair of Canadians close by as well as wood ducks, my worries of losing their babies to these snappers is very much a reality! I am waiting for a friend to drop by a trap to catch them. I would also like to set out a jug with a line and bait to try and catch them that way also. Any tips on hook size as well as set up and bait?? Any help would be greatly appreciated!! :) Thanks!!!!!

2. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    when i target snappers i use some braided twine (at least 300lb test), attach a thick steel leader on the end with a weight right above the leader (i use old cast net weights), and attach a strong #1 or #2 j-hook on the end. doesnt need to be a large hook, just strong. i found out that pork works best for bait, so add whatever bait you want and toss it out into the pond. dont forget to attach line to something sturdy. tree root, tree, stake, etc. by morning you should have a turtle on there.

3. Cochese

Cochese New Member

State:
    Eliza, Illinois
    Thanks Mike! I am making a trip to Wally world in the morning and will pick up the necessary supplies to make 2 rigs. Maybe by Sunday, I will have pictures of these monsters! :)

4. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    The fastest and easiest way would be to pop them in the head with a .22,Good luck.

5. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Sounds right to me except i use beef liver in my strip pits. you might try a 2x6x 5ft nail 2 0r 3 rows of fish hooks size 1 or 2 to board use 15 to 20 hooks . about a foot from end of board,drill hole in board to tie anchoring rope to. tie other en of rope to tree, car bumper ,anything solid. stick end of board into water so hooks and rope are out of water (the turtles will climb up board to bait) . they get stuck on hooks. bait with tuffest bloody beef you can get . good luck. jugs are more fun but board works too. Check for turtle season .I believe Here in INdiana that the season is closed during mating April 15 to June . just a thought.

6. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Just set out a turtle trap. Basically its a floating board. with nails placed in at an angle where they can crawl in, but cant go back over when they try.

On the board, place some bait. Works great for removing turtles.

7. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    You will do much better with traps and target only turtles. Here is a plan I found that seems cheap and easy to make. Use you cat heads and scraps for bait.

A simple effective trap can be made from 1" chicken wire. Buy 4' wide wire if possible. Lay the wire out flat, cut off about 8'. Now fold the wire down from one edge about 8" for the whole length of the wire. Next attatch the ends together with the folded edge inside. It is now a big round wire hoop. Flatten the hoop down till it starts to look like a big wire cusion. On the end that was not folded, close it up using a long stick woven through both "top" and "bottom" edges. Now reach in the folded end and shape the wire on the inside to form a "funnel" this end is the entrance that with the funnel forms a trap similar to fish traps. When you finish bending the funnel wire it should have an opening about 1/3 it's original size. The trap should be about the shape of a big pillow. Hang some chicken meat inside tied to the top of the trap. Place trap in shallow edge of the pond with the top out of the water so turtles won't drown. Works well to tie the trap under a willow or similar tree. Turtles find their way into the funnel opening but can't figure a way out. Remove turtles by pulling out the stick to open the rear of the trap.

8. Cochese

Cochese New Member

State:
    Eliza, Illinois
    Well, I set out a couple floating jugs and caught this bad boy! Now I just have it's mate to catch and I have 'em both!! :big_smile:

Attached Files:

9. katmandue

katmandue New Member

State:
    Bonne Terre, MO
    That's a good sized snapper there. Good job!

10. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    You should eat that turtle now! It's pretty good fried up.

11. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    you can drive a coupla nails thru rat trap from bottom,(points up) nail it to a post about 2" out of water. bait with bacon and when turtle grabs bait, the trap snaps his neck onto the nails, an he will set an wait for you! not happy but he will be there.

12. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    I have just one question.

When they were mating. was it the sound of two army helmets clanging together that got you to notice them?:lol:

13. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    He's a nice one. Good job!

14. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    If you have turtles and have ducks, you may end up with the same problem my neighbor had. All of his ducks this past year have lost their toes from the turtles biting them off. He suggested I come over fishing and bring the .22 and if I see a head sticking up just blast it. He has lots of 8-10 pound channels in his pond....what am I doing here?

15. Cochese

Cochese New Member

State:
    Eliza, Illinois
    Actually Bob, It was my wife that spotted them. What she noticed was how far their necks streched out. But what she said was, "look at the size of his head!" :lol: Ya gotta love an observant wife!!!! :smile2:

16. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    :lol: LOOKS LIKE A GREAT CATCH. NOW YOU KNOW WHAT YOUR HAVING FOR SUPPER. SOME REALLY GOOD EATING WHEN FIXED RIGHT.

17. Chris

Chris New Member

State:
    Spring Hill, Kansas
    I spend the day at our pond with a box of .22 shells and shot all day. It was quite fun and became a really good shot.

chris

18. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas

In the words of Jim Marshall, "You ain't right"

:big_smile_2:

Gives a nice mental picture though don't it.

ST​

19. kyblue49

kyblue49 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    your state wildlife web site may be helpful.

20. mch4fishing

mch4fishing New Member

State:
    East Texas
    If you use a hook when you bring them in just flip them on there backs and they will be simi imoble. stay away from that head and as sick as this might sound one day we saw a guy that one got ahold of and they wont let go. well this old timer came up and Well gave the snapper a prostate exam darn thing let go right away. Old timer kept the turtle other guy went to ER. Strange but true.:crazy: