Unusual site on the Re-Diversion

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by scwolf, May 14, 2009.

1. scwolf

scwolf New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Took off to the Re-Diversion last night by myself while Judy was working. Won't go into details on the fishing report because there are none....lol

After daylight I decided to try one more spot while the thick clouds were keeping it cool. First rod I threw out I had what I think was a big gar take it then drop it, but right after that I saw something coming to the surface. At first thought it was a big turtle coming up, then I realized it was TWO CATFISH! They were locked up, because one had the other in it's mouth! They both looked to be about the same size, so I'm guessing they were fighting due to the spawn. I tried to get a line around them to ease them in and seperate them but couldn't. Once they went down I didn't see them anymore. Was wondering if anyone has ever seen this

2. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    I have seen it before. Last year I saw two cats in the 20 to 30lb class range fight for few minutes.

3. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Ive seen that up around I95 one day a couple years ago.......both appeared to be around the 20 lb range and they were putting on a show, only lasted for a few seconds and they went back down. One thing we did have happen this year while fishing in the swamp was my wife was reeling in a blue about 15 lbs and she pulled it close to a stump while reeling it in.......all of a sudden all hell broke loose as another good size blue shot up from the base of that stump and grabbed the hooked fish about five inches from the tail and locked down !!!! It did finally let go but the fish she had hooked had a big half moon bite mark on it to show for it. I baited up her rod again and pitched it back to that stump and it wasnt two minutes before she caught that one too

4. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I've been fortunate to witness such a thing on several occasions. I've even seen a few fish with obvious bite marks on their heads and bodies. Had a pic somewhere of a dead flathead with another lodged in its mouth, but can't find it right now.

5. scwolf

scwolf New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I was hoping to get a picture of it, but they went down to fast. Always figured I would see that in the shallows not on the Re-Diversion.

6. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Man, lol!!! I was sure there for a minute it was going to be a loc-nest monster.... :crazy::smile2: - you had my undivided attention!
    I've never heard of anything like that until now.

7. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Robbie I have seen it several times on he lake and it a heck of a site. We were anchored up on some fish in the timber on Marion 1 day had marked some really big fish but no bites after abvout 1 hour my nephew says look at that catfish and it wasnt 1 it was 2 big blues 20+lbs on top rollin around just like you said.

I caught a 27lb blue in the river last year that had almost no skin on his head from the eyes foward where he had been fightin with a bigger cat. I sure would like to see the 1 that had ahold of his head.:wink:

8. johnboy

johnboy New Member

State:
    Columbia SC
    This is a spawning thing that the blues do and its a guarantee that those fish are on the spawn....you can often see very scarred up heads around this time on almost all the blues you will catch...

9. deerhntr22

deerhntr22 New Member

State:
    Greenville, SC
    Spawning or not...it still sounds like a heck of a sight...now I have something to be looking for next time Im down to Santee.

10. nparchery

nparchery New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    We saw that this Saturday morning on the lower lake near the hatchery/dike area. Both about 30 lbs.. Got with-in a few feet before they realized we were there. Cool sight!

11. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    anybody got any ideas WHY they do this? Any kind of study on this behavior. I looked..... didn't find a thing. maybe I'll bait with bluecat heads during spawn:big_smile: lol

12. scwolf

scwolf New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    In my opinion it's kinda like deer in the rut....I believe they are fighting for position and protecting their area.....Just my opinion though.