Unusual pictures and structure

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by Catfish Fever, Mar 26, 2006.

1. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Here's some pics of what we believe to be an old well that was dug and hand lined with field stone some time ago. It's a free standing structure on the shore of Milford Lake. It was probably dug before the river was dammed and flooded the area. We were scouting this area in the Toon on the way back to Wakefield, we planned on shore fishing there tomorrow due to the weather forecast, heavy winds. It's hard to believe this thing has survived the storms that have moved thru this area in past years, to include the flooding in 93. No telling how much deeper this goes as the old river channel is quite a ways from the current shore line. It's probably 18/20 feet high, and 6/8 feet in diameter. Really a unique looking structure. Here's some pics I took, I'll take some more from above it tomorrow when we get there. The black line to the right of the structure look like old water lines that were probably attached to the pump. We plan on looking to see if there may be signs of a windmill in the area. There doesn't appear to be any dirt behind it, except near the bottom where some of the bank has collapsed.

Attached Files:

2. GrandpaGoneFishing

GrandpaGoneFishing New Member

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    What a find, Thanks for sharing.

3. balddaddy91

balddaddy91 New Member

State:
    East Liverpool,Oh
    Great Pics Thanks For Sharing

4. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    What a story the history would make, thanks for sharing.

5. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    thats pretty cool

6. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Looks like whoever built it put a lot of time and hard work into it. It would be great to find out the history behind it!

7. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Maybe send a pic of it to the chamber of commerce, but then again that might make more people come to your fishing spot, but the chamber may be able to find info on it.

8. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Now that is wild! THANX JIM!

9. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    The oldtimers really built things to last. Wonder why that thing still looks great and is probably well over 100 and yet our homes, bridges, etc need so much care to last just a decade or two. I have seen stone lined wells like that one in many parts of Kansas. I cant imagine digging that thing by hand. I have dug dry wells at 8 and 12' deep with post hole diggers, but that thing is impressive. The rocks alone would have been a major amount of work. Some pioneer was very skilled and determined.

There is a great book on Pioneer life called, "Sod and Stubble." If you get some time its a great read. My family homesteaded in Kansas in the late 1800's. The book is much like the stories my grandfather told.

10. Ace

Ace New Member

State:
    Gastonia N
    I enjoyed the photo`s keep us up to date.

:cat:

11. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    cool pic,sure it isn't an early version of a minuteman silo;)

12. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Keep an eye on it. If it ever falls over that would be theee place to have a mettle detector! No telling what you could find.:D Maybe even a skeleton :eek: But for sure some old coinage.

13. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Good stuff Jim. got to be a homestead aroune there somewhere. The metal detector idea would be neat.

14. Chris

Chris New Member

State:
    Spring Hill, Kansas
    The property that I used to live on in Bucyrus, Kansas, there is a well that was built out of stone like the one in the picture. The best of my knowledge its about 35 feet deep, I found the depth by tying a sinker on my fishing pole and then let the sink go until it stoped, marked the line at the top of the water and then measured it out. When I found the well it was wide open it was about 48 in across. I took some railroad ties and sealed the top and marked it with orange flags.

Chris

15. Calvin

Calvin New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Those are amazing pictures Jim. Its too bad it can't talk. I'll bet it has some interesting stories to tell. Imagine all the back breaking work that went into hand digging and lining it with native limestone. I'm sure it never once crossed anyone's mind that someday it would stand exposed like this on the banks of a lake. There are thousands of those old wells scattered throughout the state. I'll bet that's the ONLY one exposed like that! I'd like to see it when I come up.

16. bigfish

bigfish New Member

State:
    Dunbar WV.
    thats a cool picture. i agree with the metal detector idea also.

17. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Sorry about the typo's in my first post, worked nights and can't spell:p .

Your right Calvin, "if walls could talk". Would love to know the stories behind some of those old abandoned farmsteads out in the flinthills. I always get a sad feeling when I see those old places, you know someone shed blood and tears on that place and it ended up abandoned. Would love to know the story about those that tried to make a go of those places.

18. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Oh yeah, I'd also like to see it when I come and fish with you this summer Jim:)

19. tanner

tanner New Member

State:
    Somerset, Kentucky
    i love history...and would love to be able to explore that area more!! :)

20. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Thats pretty neat to see. Thanks for sharing.