Unusual finds on the beach

Discussion in 'Metal Detecting' started by Bobpaul, Sep 26, 2006.

1. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    No I didn't find a diamond ring or anything quite as nice. What's unusual about these two coins is that they're old.

I found a 1917 wheat penny Sunday on the beach in Wilmington and today I got a 1956 wheat penny here at Holden Beach.

It's very unusual to find anything old, except me, on the beach. They were both in pretty good shape too.

2. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I'm going to have me one of those metal detectors one of these days. Sounds like a fun trip...:cool2:
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    I used to be lost in the shuffle, now I just shuffle along with the lost.

3. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Bob, I was going to say I need to follow along behind you metal dectecting but I would never find anything behind you. LOL You find all of the best stuff. Judy and I are going to try a few places later this fall when the water drops.

4. catfisher43

catfisher43 New Member

State:
    missouri
    my father passed away about 2 yrs ago,and left his metal detector to me.i believe its one of the better detectors.i believe it is a gold bug if im not mistaken.im new at detecting so any information would be greatly appreciated..thx.:cool2:

5. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Hey Robert. I got some old mines in the back yard left over from a game I used to play with the kids when they were little. I can't remember where they are and the dog ate the map. Can ya help me find them? LOL!

Nice find on the old pennies. Somewhat below your usual standard. LOL!

6. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    I've heard of the "Gold Bug" but I'm not familiar with it. Yes , it's one of the better machines.

Find the Brand name and do a search on the net, using the brand name and Gold Bug. There's a real good chance you could download the manual on it and find out what you really have.

Also check to see if you've got batteries in it and get them out of there before they corrode.

7. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    George, It's just dirt fishing. Some days you catch the scooling fish and other days you get a trophy.

The tourists have gone and taken there loot with them. In the past two days after work, I got over 7.00 in coins and a junk ring. The dimes and quarters are equaling the pennies. It keeps me out of trouble:lol:

The sand that was brought in by Ernesto is slowly being stripped away and uncovering some of the loot. This is happening all up and down the eastern seaboard.

Can't help you on the mines. You should've followed the dog around till he gave up the map.:lol:

8. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
  9. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Congrats on your find! I have an old WHITES metal detector but havn't used it in awhile. Maybe I'll digger' out and giver' a go around the river bank here since this was a thriving settlement back in the 1700's. Might come up with neat old stuff! Found a piece-of-eight once and an old British bayonet. Gave them to the local Historical society though.

10. catfisher43

catfisher43 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Thanks for the site Bob.very much appreciated.

11. Larry Collier

Larry Collier New Member

State:
    Wagoner, Oklahoma
    I've had a White's Classic SL for several years now. I first got it to search old house places for artifacts but I discovered that using one around kids is a hoot. It's like being the Pied Piper!! Grade school age kids love hearing the detector sound off when I pass over something and immediately start digging! They really don't care what it is they find it's all treasure to them - Ya gotta love it.

Best to Ya

Larry Collier

12. Hootowlc3

Hootowlc3 New Member

State:
    Florida
    When I did metal detecting the units weren't so good. I had a job running a big metal cutting saw that made my ears ring louder than the metal detector. Still sounds like a field of crickets chirping. The wife and I did the metal detecting so much I nick named her digger. She always liked to uncover the treasure. lol

13. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I found about 10 pounds of trash on the beach that I put in the trash can, lol. I did find 2.75 in coins and a silver ring.

14. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    That's a good day on the beach when you get a ring. Thanks for putting the trash where it belongs.

Hope you covered your holes too.